Orioles shut down top pitching prospect Bundy once again

June 25, 2013 | Luke Jones

Orioles shut down top pitching prospect Bundy once again

(This blog brought to you by Atlantic Remodeling. Visit www.atlanticremodeling.com to learn about their Red Cent Guarantee!)

As if a fourth consecutive loss on Monday wasn’t bad enough, the Orioles have once again shut down top pitching prospect Dylan Bundy.

The 20-year-old was in the midst of a throwing progression in Sarasota after a six-week layoff that followed a platelet-rich plasma injection administered by renowned orthopedic Dr. James Andrews in late April. The right-hander had progressed to throwing from 120 feet and appeared to be on the verge of getting back on the mound before once again experiencing discomfort in his right forearm and elbow.

At least that was the perception created by manager Buck Showalter earlier in the day before MASN first reported the news after the loss.

“Dylan’s still not on the mound yet, but he’s doing all his work and feels fine,” Showalter said prior to Monday’s 5-2 loss to the Cleveland Indians. “I haven’t heard something different than what he’s doing. I know 120 [feet] was about as far as [he's gone]. I think the next step is to go on the mound, but I intentionally don’t ask that question. I leave that in [the training staff's] hands.”

Bundy will be examined by team orthopedic Dr. John Wilckens in Baltimore on Tuesday and is expected to be seen by Dr. Andrews again. He was diagnosed with flexor mass tightness in the forearm, but an MRI on his elbow showed no structural damage before he received the PRP injection and was ordered to rest for six weeks.

The 2011 first-round pick hasn’t pitched since spring training.

Showalter said following Monday’s game that outfielder Steve Pearce received a cortisone injection in his left wrist and will go to Sarasota later this week.

 

 

Comments on Facebook

Leave a Reply