So, I received this gem late Saturday afternoon, a few hours after news came out that our Orioles signed DH Nelson Cruz.
I hope you and the rest of the malcontents at 1570 are happy now, the Orioles finally spent that money you’ve been crying about for years. I can’t wait until they wind up around 500 again and you have egg on your face when these new guys don’t do anything. All you’ve done is cry about how they don’t spend any money and then once they do you’ll be crying when the team suffers because of it. I sit back and laugh every morning when I hear you preach to the morons in town who really think the station is smart about baseball.
Congratulations on beating that dead horse so much that the Orioles finally did something to shut you up.
Well, for the record, I’m not overly enthused about the Nelson Cruz signing. He’s a power hitter, yes, but his “other numers” aren’t all that impressive. His on-base percentage (roughly .325) isn’t that good, he doesn’t walk enough, he strikes out too much (which, frankly, most power hitters do) and for a guy with power, he’s never collected more than 90 RBI in a season. I do think he’ll prosper within the cozy confines of Camden Yards, but he’s also coming from one of the most hitter-friendly parks in America (Texas).
I understand they only gave him $8 million, which is very-much a typical Orioles move, but that just goes to show you how excited the rest of the league is about signing a fairly-limited offensive player who sat out 50 games last season after being busted in the Biogenesis scandal.
I don’t like the idea of funding these PED users around baseball and for that reason more than anything, I’m not a fan of bringing Cruz to town. That said, I also understand if you want to play ball with the big boys in Boston or New York, you have to get some dirt under your fingernails, which is what the Orioles did bringing on a questionable character like Nelson Cruz.
I would have preferred Kendrys Morales, but he wasn’t going to sign for $8 million for one year, so the Orioles opted for Cruz.
I’m on board with the Jimenez signing and said – and wrote – as much last week. I get it, Jimenez probably snaked them for one more year than they were comfortable giving him, but he had the leverage in this case and he used it.
Now, to the topic of of the Orioles spending money and how that somehow relates to WNST. There’s a risk anytime you fork over big money (not that $48 million for four years and $8 million for one is big money — it isn’t, in baseball) for a baseball player and there’s certainly a chance that Jimenez and/or Cruz wind up misfiring in Baltimore, but you can’t seriously be blaming me or the rest of the station for “forcing” the team to spend money. That’s sort of what Mike is hinting at, I think.
The team should be spending money to improve their team because that’s why the fans fork over $20 for a ticket and $3.25 a month on their cable bill.
We don’t give the Orioles our money so they can buy beach houses in Dewey Beach. We give them our money so they’ll employ good baseball players and win games.
I applaud them for spending money, even if all the players they’ve signed aren’t agreeable to me.
I’m just happy, for once, they’ve made themselves accountable in the off-season.
If it works out, I’ll be thrilled. We haven’t seen a World Series game in Baltimore in 31 years.
If it doesn’t work out, at least we can say they went down trying.