Ravens, McKinnie come to agreement on restuctured contract for 2012

September 04, 2012 | WNST Staff

Ravens, McKinnie come to agreement on restuctured contract for 2012

After revealing to the world his time with the Ravens had come to an end, left tackle Bryant McKinnie is staying put in Baltimore, after all.

The sides have agreed to a restructured contract for the 2012 season that will reduce McKinnie’s $3.2 million base salary but will keep him on the team after it appeared all but official the offensive lineman was moving on six days before the start of the regular season. The news was first reported by Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports.

“We were able to work things out to where everyone felt comfortable,” McKinnie told AM 1570 WNST Tuesday afternoon after the sides had come to an agreement.

The 32-year-old originally told WNST.net in a text message he was no longer with the team, which would have left major question marks regarding the starting offensive line as the Cincinnati Bengals come to town next Monday night. However, McKinnie later said in a phone conversation with WNST’s Ryan Chell that nothing was official yet and the sides were still talking after the Ravens initially asked him to take a 50-percent pay cut.

In addition to his base salary, McKinnie was awarded a $500,000 roster bonus in March. According to the veteran tackle, the Ravens were attempting to restructure the deal to reduce that number to $1.6 million, an amount he would not agree to.

In addition to McKinnie not being warm to the idea of playing for half the money, further complicating the situation is the state of his finances as the team will garnish half of his net wages as part of Pro Player Services’ lawsuit against him for a unpaid loan taken out during last year’s lockout.

“I still have a lot of football left,” McKinnie said in a text message to WNST.net’s Ryan Chell prior to the sides coming to resolution to keep him with the Ravens. “I’ll be fine. It was a business decision that was made, and I understand.”

After revealing he felt the door had been closed on Monday, McKinnie’s feelings softened after coach John Harbaugh reached out to him earlier on Tuesday.

The massive lineman’s weight and conditioning came into question in the spring before the veteran tackle missed the start of training camp after saying he suffered a fall at his home in Florida. McKinnie was fined a reported $90,000 for reporting late to training camp at the end of July. Upon reporting to training camp, McKinnie spent several days working his way into shape before passing the team’s conditioning test and practicing for the first time on August 3.

Without McKinnie, the Ravens would have presumably gone with fourth-year tackle Michael Oher on the left side and push rookie Kelechi Osemele into the starting lineup at right tackle. They used this alignment for the first two games of the preseason while McKinnie was working his way back into football shape and taking reps with the second-team line.

Coach John Harbaugh is scheduled to meet with the media at 4 p.m. Tuesday afternoon for his weekly press conference.

 

Comments on Facebook

3 Comments For This Post

  1. John West Says:

    Will any of his contract count against the cap this year?
    What other veteran offensive lineman are available?
    I think McKinnie still has 1 good year left in him. Any chance he signs on with another team?
    The Steelers offensive line is, again, a mess. Could he sign there?
    With 6 days to go before the season begins, this seems like a big deal. I can’t wait until coach Harbaugh’s press conference for the coach to say this is no big deal at all.

  2. Jeff Ashton Says:

    as Teddy KGB said…”Pay him, pay that man his money.”

    good scoop guys

  3. Chuck Says:

    Jason La Canfora is a horrible reporter.

    Take a look at his track record. Just awful.

Leave a Reply