Newsome says Rice remains in Ravens’ plans for 2014

February 17, 2014 | Luke Jones

Newsome says Rice remains in Ravens’ plans for 2014

OWINGS MILLS, Md. — Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said Monday he had yet to speak to Ray Rice following his weekend arrest in Atlantic City but added that the running back remains in the team’s plans for the 2014 season.

Addressing the media to announce a contract extension with outside linebacker Terrell Suggs, Newsome said that he continues to gather information regarding an alleged physical altercation between Rice and his fiancée Janay Parker that led to the pair being arrested and charged with simple assault-domestic violence. Newsome said that he or head coach John Harbaugh plans to speak to Rice within the next 24 hours.

According to a police statement, Rice and Parker struck each other with their hands and the incident was captured on video surveillance at the Revel Casino.

“When I left my office 20 minutes ago and John had probably been in there 15 minutes before then, Ray Rice was still a big part of what we plan to do in 2014,” Newsome said early Monday afternoon. “I don’t know the situation. I’ve only gotten what has been written. I have not had a chance to talk to Ray, [and] I have not had a chance to talk to [director of security Darren Sanders]. I really don’t know the situation. With me, I get all the answers, then that’s when we make decisions within this organization — once we get all the information we can get.”

Rice and Parker both refused medical treatment on the scene and were released after being given a summons to appear in court.

The seventh-year back is scheduled to make a $4 million base salary and carries an $8.75 million cap number for the 2014 season. However, the Ravens wouldn’t have any flexibility from a cap standpoint should they want to part ways with Rice as the accelerated cap hit would be greater than the space he currently commands this season.

A Ravens team official released the following statement Sunday night after the news had been initially broken:

“We are aware of the Friday night situation with Ray Rice and his fiancée. We have spoken with Ray and know that they returned home together after being detained.”

 

Comments on Facebook

1 Comments For This Post

  1. Kolo Jezdec Says:

    Video from the casino on TMZ: http://www.tmz.com/2014/02/19/ray-rice-unconscious-fiancee-atlantic-city-video-arrest/

Leave a Reply