Here are some notes from the press conference; you can hear the whole thing in the audio vault:
- As it relates to the salary cap, it is basically a wash as it relates to the money. The Ravens are not greatly benefiting from it.
- It was clear from being here that Steve was pretty emotional about the decision
- Ozzie Newsome is expecting to have about 10-15 calls from veteran QB’s who are looking for jobs. Ozzie said for them to be patient he will get back to them in a two weeks
- Samari Rolle held back the tears as he spoke of the time that he spent with Steve
- Ray Lewis released a statement on the retirement of McNair. Ray is in the building here at Owings Mills, there is a thought that Ray could have become the focus of the press conference and taken away from what everyone was here for
- Ozzie Newsome said the retirement of Steve will not change the way the team will go in the draft
- Steve spoke highly of John Harbaugh and Cam Cameron and said that he would have enjoyed playing in this offense
- Steve said that his mind told him three years but his body was not agreeing. Here is a list of the injuries McNair has dealt with since 2001
- From a personal standpoint, it was a joy to cover Steve during his time here. He was always very polite and easy to deal with.