The first day of full team practice concluded this afternoon with the team in soft shell shoulder pads. Here are some notes from practice:
– There were several scuffles this afternoon that featured guest appearances from Jason Brown, J’Vonne Parker, Edgar Jones, Mike Kracalik, Joe Reitz, and Gary Stills
– Dan Cody who was banged up this morning but returned for special teams practice this morning was out on the field for practice this afternoon
– P.J. Daniels who left the practice this morning with a injury was at practice this afternoon in shorts and shirt watching practice
– Kyle Boller took the snaps with the first team offense this afternoon
– On one on one drills, Antwan Barnes schooled Mike Kracalik several times with a rip and swim move which lead to Kracalik being very upset
– Other highlight from one on one drills was a strong performance by Jared Gaither against Dan Cody
– Haruki Nakamura had a nice afternoon when he picked off both Joe Flacco and Kyle Boller. While returning one of them one of the coaches yelled out “that is the Bearcat in him.” Referring to Haruki’s days at Cincinnati.
– With no Chris McAlister or Samari Rolle to play in the secondary, Frank Walker and Corey Ivy filled in at that position.
– Derrick Mason and Mark Clayton took turns returning punts in the afternoon practice.
– Adam Terry was favoring his left ankle during practice today, but stayed out for the majority of the plays
– Derrick Martin left practice around 4:25p.m. with the trainers but did not return
– Yamon Figurs also left practice at 4:35 p.m. with the trainers and did not return
– Practice ran for a little over 2 hours this afternoon
– Kyle Boller does some extra running after practice from sideline to sideline after the afternoon practices
– Former Ravens running back coach Matt Simon was at practice and the team hotel this afternoon
– Several of the Ravens players will board a plane tomorrow morning here in Westminster and head to south Florida to attend the funeral of Samari Rolle’s father. Ozzie Newsome will lead a contingent of players that will include Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Chris McAlister, and a couple other players to attend the funeral. The players will leave tomorrow morning and not return till tomorrow evening. No word yet on when Samari will report to camp.
It was a hard hitting fast paced first practice for the Ravens here are couple of notes from this morning:
– Kyle Boller had a good morning with several of his passes , but then had a couple of fumbles on the exchange from the center
– Troy Smith took the reps this morning as the first quarterback out with the offense
– Chris McAlister, David Pittman, Dan Wilcox, Demetrius Williams, and Ed Reed all did not participate in practice today
– P.J. Daniels left the field with the trainers after taking a hit during the contact drills and did not return to the field. No official word on his injury status.
– Jim Leonhard and Dawan Landry were the safeties on first team defense with Ed Reed not practicing
– Jonathan Ogden was here at practice along with Mike Flynn, Spencer Folau, and Wally Williams. Ogden even stepped in and showed some technique and gave some pointers to O’Neil Cousins and Jared Gaither
– Ray Rice had a tremendous day running the ball. You see his explosiveness and he can make defenders miss him. Ray Lewis pulled Ray Rice to the side and gave him some pointers about running the ball north and south. One of the defensive coaches went on a very profane tirade at defensive players after a couple of the runs by Ray
– Joe Reitz got his welcome to training camp today when he started a scuffle with the defense which was quickly equaled him being out numbered.
– Sam Koch ran a fake field goal when he was the holder and completed a pass to Todd Heap who was covered by Corey Ivy. Todd tipped the ball in the air and came down with it.
– Yamon Figurs took some reps with the second team offense at wide receiver
– O’Neil Cousins,and Jared Gaither, had rough days at practice. Dan Cody man handled Cousins on 1 on 1 drill.
– The Ravens retrun to the field at 2:45 this afternoon
– The Ravens want everyone to know that there was an issue today with single ticket sales, and the plan is that they will go on sale tomorrow at 11 a.m. through ticketmaster. The Ravens said there are single tickets remaining to all of the home games.
Today is the day where the full team will practice for the first time for the media and public as the 2008 Ravens. It looks like they will be in full pads when they hit the field this morning. It will be interesting to see how the rookies will act now with the veterans out at practice.
I will be back after practice with a report.
Former Raven Mike Flynn and Jonathan Ogden are here picking up credentials to go watch practice.