Ravens grant second interviews to Wilson, Shanahan for coordinator job

January 23, 2014 | Luke Jones

Ravens grant second interviews to Wilson, Shanahan for coordinator job

Making a good impression with head coach John Harbaugh upon interviewing for the Ravens’ vacant offensive coordinator job on Wednesday, Pittsburgh Steelers running backs coach Kirby Wilson will meet with team officials for a second interview.

According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the 52-year-old is scheduled to meet with the Ravens in Owings Mills on Friday, a development that certainly bodes well for his candidacy. With general manager Ozzie Newsome and assistant general manager Eric DeCosta among the team executives in Mobile, Ala. for the Senior Bowl this week, the second interview would presumably allow them to meet and help evaluate Wilson as the potential choice to replace Jim Caldwell.

The Ravens are also scheduled to meet with current wide receivers coach Jim Hostler and former Washington Redskins offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan for second interviews, per a report from The Sun.

It remains unknown whether former Detroit Lions offensive coordinator Scott Linehan will receive a second interview as he was the other candidate who was confirmed by Harbaugh earlier this week.

Of the four known candidates, Wilson is the only one without NFL experience as an offensive coordinator, but he has spent the last seven years with the Steelers and was considered the favorite to become their coordinator in 2012 before he was seriously injured in a house fire. Wilson carries 16 years of NFL coaching experience on his resume and reportedly handled increased duties late last season as Pittsburgh offensive coordinator Todd Haley came under fire.

The Ravens haven’t specified a clear timetable for when they’d like to have their new offensive coordinator in place, but Harbaugh told the team’s official website earlier in the week that he’d like to wrap up the process shortly with the search now in the midst of its second week.

Comments on Facebook

1 Comments For This Post

  1. joe of bel air Says:

    Luke, read the tea leaves and give us your take on this development. I think this means that it is definitely between Shanahan and Wilson and Harbs wants front office input before making a final decision over the weekend. I would expect an announcement early next week. If he was going to promote Hostler, he would look somewhat silly bringing Wilson and Shanahan back for a second round of interviews.

    (L.J. – I tend to agree with you barring another name that’s still being held under wraps for some reason.)

Leave a Reply