The latest information to surface in the Ray Rice saga isn’t as shocking as it is startling while expanding on what we already knew about the circumstances that led to the Ravens running back’s arrest in Atlantic City last weekend.
Police said Sunday there was video surveillance of Rice and fiancée Janay Palmer striking one another with their hands — leading to both being charged with simple assault-domestic violence — but that footage shows him knocking her unconscious, according to Robert Klemko of Sports Illustrated. This comes after the court summons released to media outlets on Wednesday said Rice struck Palmer with his hand, “rendering her unconscious.”
This revelation shouldn’t be surprising considering the heavy surveillance used in Atlantic City casinos, but — if true — it could be a fatal blow to Rice’s public perception after a court date scheduled for next Tuesday was postponed while the county prosecutor reviews the case “to ensure all appropriate charges are considered.” A video released to TMZ earlier this week showed Rice dragging what appears to be an unconscious Palmer from an elevator in the aftermath of the physical altercation.
General manager Ozzie Newsome said Monday that Rice remained in the Ravens’ plans for the 2014 season but that the organization would continue to gather information. If such a graphic video exists and surfaces publicly, the organization would seemingly have no choice but to — at the very least — reevaluate their position in terms of the 27-year-old’s employment.
On Saturday morning, Newsome is scheduled to meet with the media at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis.
Putting aside the public relations ramifications of whether to continue to employ Rice, the Ravens would face difficult salary-cap ramifications should they decide to part ways with the three-time Pro Bowl selection.