Rice avoids prosecution with acceptance into intervention program

May 20, 2014 | Luke Jones

Rice avoids prosecution with acceptance into intervention program

Ravens running back Ray Rice officially learned Tuesday he’s been accepted into a pretrial intervention program that will allow him to avoid prosecution for a domestic incident occurring in an Atlantic City casino in February.

The program could allow the 27-year-old to clear his record of charges after he pleaded not guilty to one count of third-degree aggravated assault earlier this month. After entering his plea and applying for the program, the prosecutor offered a plea deal that included probation with no jail time and anger management counseling, making it all but certain at the time that Rice would not be going to prison.

“After considering all relevant information in light of applicable law, it was determined this was the appropriate disposition,” acting Atlantic County prosecutor Jim McClain said in a statement on Tuesday.

Rice was arrested and charged with simple assault-domestic violence at the Revel Casino on Feb. 15 after allegedly striking his then-fiancee Janay Palmer — the pair have since married — and rendering her unconscious. Palmer was arrested for allegedly striking Rice, but the simple assault-domestic violence charge against her was dismissed by the grand jury while Rice was instead indicted for third-degree aggravated assault, a charge that potentially carried a prison term of three to five years.

It remains to be seen whether Rice will be disciplined by the NFL as he could be fined and suspended for violating the league’s personal conduct policy.

Comments on Facebook

1 Comments For This Post

  1. Kolo Jezdec Says:

    Reasonable and fair outcome for the state charges.

Leave a Reply