In honor of Tiger Woods’ impending 15th career major victory at next week’s U.S. Open at Bethpage, here are 15 points that you can ponder.
Comment on them when you’re finished pondering.
Or just ponder and don’t comment.
Either way, I’m happy, since you’re here – reading.
1. That shot by Courtney Lee at the end of regulation in Game 2 of the Lakers/Magic series wasn’t the “lay-up” that a lot of people claim it was. It wasn’t a “10” on the difficulty scale, admittedly…but it wasn’t a “3” either. It was harder than it looked.
2. Zach Greinke is having the best season of any pitcher in baseball — but Roy Halladay is the best pitcher in the game right now. Johan Santana is the best left-hander. I’m not sure where Rich Hill ranks on that list. Probably not near the top.
3. Graham Gano will be the Ravens kicker of record on September 13 when the Chiefs come to town to open the ’09 season.
4. For the last three years, I’ve picked the Chargers to go to the Super Bowl and they haven’t made it. I keep going back to that well every year when I make my predictions. Not this year. I don’t know who I’m picking in the AFC yet, but I’m not going to pick San Diego. (you know what that means…)
5. I’ll assume Tiger wins the U.S. Open next week until proven otherwise — but I think Jim Furyk is going be hanging around come Sunday afternoon. Woods, Furyk and maybe a relative unknown like George McNeill or John Mallinger will highlight the late Sunday action next weekend.
6. I’ve watched all of about 30 minutes of the Stanley Cup Finals. Generally, I’m all geeked up for it…this year, though, I just haven’t been interested. I’ll take Detroit to win Game 7, 3-1. “ABP”*
7. Raul Ibanez is upset with a blogger who wrote a piece hinting that Ibanez’s ’09 numbers could be “juice” assisted. I wrote the same thing two weeks ago about guys like Ibanez, Ian Kinsler and our own Adam Jones. Those players, though, shouldn’t be made at the bloggers who write that stuff. They should be mad at the nitwit-players before them who took steroids, lied to everyone about it, then got caught. Done.
8. 100 games to go in the Major League Baseball season and I’ll revise my World Series prediction. At the outset of the season, I said Arizona vs. Boston. Now, it’s the Dodgers vs. the Red Sox. Think the network will like that one?
9. I’ll take Mi Hyun Kim to win the LPGA Championship at Bulle Rock.
10. Ichiro Suzuki won’t be the all-time hits leader when his career is finished — but he’s the best hitter of the baseball I’ve ever seen. Better than Carew, Rose and Gwynn. And yes, better than Matt Wieters.
11. O’s attendance is down 19% so far this year. Not a low blow, just a fact. That’s what happens when you mix a declining economy with a poorly marketed product.
12. “We’re gonna grow the arms and buy the bats”. Texeira through 55 games: .296, 19 HR, 52 RBI’s. Whew, I’m sure glad we didn’t buy *that bat*, aren’t you?
13. Dan Wilcox will be on the show with me next Tuesday at 8:30 am. He was my favorite Raven. I’m gonna miss that guy. So will our community.
14. Matt Wieters will hit .281 at the end of the regular season. I doubt he gets a hit in this year’s playoffs.
15. With Verlander and Jackson pitching well, the Tigers could be a tough out in the playoffs — if they get there, of course.
* – ABP = Anybody But Pittsburgh