11. Ya gotta admit, that kid Papelbon is a helluva pitcher in Boston.
12. Looking at their respective schedules, both the Redskins and Steelers are going to have a tough time winning 10 games in ’08. Wouldn’t that be a shame, huh? Washington lays a giant ’08 steamer and goes 7-9 to usher in the Jim Zorn era, while Pittsburgh throws up a nice, tidy 7-9 campaign punctuated by a couple of losses to the Ravens.
Baby Ethan kept me up from 11:30-2:30 this morning talking about the Ravens draft, so I wasn’t thinking very clearly at 6:07 am when we hit the air. Otherwise, I would have used a handful of “rainy day” songs on The Comcast Morning Show today – including “Raining in Baltimore” (Counting Crows) and “It’s Raining Again” (Supertramp).
Here’s a rainy edition of 19 points for you – and you know what to do. Read, Ponder and Reply. Sort of like Lather, Rinse, Repeat, but better.
It’s a Monday, so here’s that “19 points to ponder” blog you count on to get your week off to a great start.
1. When you have a 20-point lead in the second half – at home – in a “must-win” game at the end of the season…and you don’t win…you don’t deserve to go to the tournament. At least Jason McAlpin will get to play another home game. Maryland will probably host someone like Niagara in the first round of the NIT, assuming they don’t win the MAAC.
2. If you and I both get an NBA expansion franchise and we’re each allowed to take just one player from a current club, I’m taking LeBron James and you can have anyone else, including Kobe, Dwight Howard or Carmelo.
3. I’m aware that the Browns don’t have many draft picks in ’08, but as of today I think they have to be considered next season’s pre-season favorites in the AFC North. The Donte Stallworth signing was a good one…and that rock-star pass catching duo of Edwards and Winslow Jr. now gives them three dangerous receivers. If only they’d put a logo on their helmet. It’s hard to take a team seriously when they leave their helmets blank.
4. If I had a vote, my top three for Towson University basketball MVP in ’07-08 would be: 1) C.C. Williams 2) Junior Hairston 3) Jonathan Pease
5. I think the Michael Turner signing by the Falcons is a great step for them to get back into the thick of the NFC South race. They need a QB, among other things (and, yes, I know, they just re-signed Chris Redman but he’s not the answer), but Turner should be a real force for them on the ground. Tampa Bay was 4-12 in ’06 and rebounded to win the division title in ’07. It’s not hard to go from worst-to-first (or first-to-worst) in the NFC South
6. Nice win for Ernie Els yesterday at The Honda Classic. With Tiger not in the field, it should probably only count as a half-win in his official statistics. Ernie can’t win when Tiger plays.
7. Kevin Millar will hit the first home run of the season for the Baltimore baseball team. It will come in the 4th inning of the home opener against Tampa Bay. I can’t get much more exact than that.
8. I’m still saying the Ravens are taking USC’s Sedrick Ellis with the #8 pick in the draft. I’ll let you know if that changes between now and then.
9 Kansas State only has 18 wins right now and they’re by no means a lock for the NCAA tournament, but if they get in, that kid Michael Beasley might score 50 points in a game. And he’s a freshman? Better cut him open and check the rings. K-State could be a tough out if they get in the big dance.
10. Why would the J-E-T-S pay that much money ($40 million/$21 million guaranteed) for Alan Faneca, an offensive guard? The only guys who command that much money are guys who touch the ball or touch the quarterback (that’s an Ozzie-ism).
11. American League Division winners: Boston, Detroit, Seattle (Cleveland, Wild Card)
12. Does our baseball team have a better chance of winning 55 games or 75 games in ’08?
13. I’m telling you, having the #1 draft pick in the NFL is a curse. All those good players to choose from – and that’s great and all, but you also realize that you’re the ONLY team in the league that passes on every other player besides the one you decide to take.
14. The old Milwaukee Brewers logo with the “mb” in the shape of a baseball glove is still the best sports logo ever…the old New England Patriots logo with the patriot snapping the ball is a close second.
15. National League Division winners: New York, Chicago, Los Angeles (Arizona, Wild Card)
16. Greg Norman could have easily won 10 major titles in his career. Instead, he won two (both were British Opens). We sure would look at his career differently if he would have won those 10.
17. It pains me to say it, but Duke will win the ACC tournament.
18. Cristobal Huet will be the Caps goaltender of choice down the stretch this season. If they make the playoffs, he’ll be a big reason why.
19. I tried to have an Orioles player or executive on the show today to give all of you an update on what’s going on with our local baseball team, but the team didn’t return my calls/text messages yesterday. Might as well change the name of spring training games in Florida from Grapefruit League to Bush League.