Last night my father and I took a drive down to Bowie to experience our first ever minor league baseball game. I didn’t really know what to expect. I also wasn’t sure how many people actually go to Bowie Baysox games.
Tons of people turned out for Fireworks night at Prince George’s Stadium. It also turned out to be Stars Wars night and it seemed as if every child was wielding a red or blue lightsaber.
I thoroughly enjoyed the game despite the fact the the Bowie Baysox lost 8-4 to the Harrisburg Senators, the Double-A affiliate of the Washington Nationals. Here are some baseball related observations that I made last night along with some non-baseball related observations.
1. Nolan Reimold looked good on his rehab assignment with the Baysox. Despite the fact that injuries have hindered the progression of his career Reimold still hustles hard and plays with 100% energy just as he always has. I’m not sure that there is a spot on the 25-man roster for Reimold when his rehab stint is over as the Orioles are carrying 4 players who primarily play Reimold’s position of left field. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Reimold get traded.
2. Baysox 1st baseman Christian Walker looks legit. The 23-year old is having a breakout season with 17 home runs, 58 RBI and has a .308 batting average. Walker went 1-2 with 2 walks. He hit a booming shot to left field which was eventually caught on the warning track but his power potential is quite impressive.
3. Last night the Orioles didn’t utilize a noteworthy pitcher. Relief pitcher Marcel Prado was interesting as he could throw his fastball 95-96 mph, however, he has a 5.03 ERA this season so I don’t anticipate he will be making an impact with the Orioles anytime soon.
4. Apparently “the only way to stop a bad guy with a lightsaber is a good guy with a lightsaber”. Also on the concourse you could find R2-D2 roaming the floor most likely in search of C3PO. Star Wars night was very interesting indeed.
5. There were an exceptional amount of fielding errors last night. It makes you appreciate how well Major League Ballplayers field. There was a total of 5 fielding errors accrued by both teams and a handful of sloppy fielding plays that were simply ruled infield hits.
6. Senators center fielder Michael Taylor looks like a future superstar. Taylor has 16 home runs, 50 RBI, 17 stolen bases and is hitting .336. He also plays center field exceptionally well and made a fantastic catch at the wall last night. Compares favorably to Adam Jones.
Overall I would highly recommend that anyone who has never been to a minor league baseball game to check out a Bowie Baysox game. Almost every night they have a fun promotion as after the game last night there was a fireworks display.
It’s a very family-friendly environment and Prince George’s Stadium is a fantastic venue to relax and watch a baseball game featuring the future stars of Major League Baseball.