Right now the Ravens have the rights to the following WR’s under the current CBA:
- Anquan Boldin, 6’1″ 217 in his 8th year out of Florida State
- Derrick Mason, 5’10″ 197 in his 14th year out of Michigan State
- David Reed, 6’0″ 190 in his 1st year out of Utah
- Marcus Smith, 6’1″ 225 in his 3rd year out of New Mexico
- Justin Harper, 6’3″ 226 in his 3rd year out of Virginia Tech
- James Hardy, 6’5″ 220 in his 2nd year out of Indiana
- Brandon Jones, 6’1″ 215 in his 6th year out of Oklahoma
The Ravens also have the following unrestricted free agents:
- TJ Houshmandzadeh, 6’2″ 203 in his 10th year out of Oregon State
- Donte Stallworth, 6’0″ 220 in his 8th year out of Tennessee
Who comes back this season (if there is a season), and who goes? Will Reed’s role on offense increase this year? Smith & Harper, special teams aces – do they both make the final roster? Hardy had a productive career in Indiana, and was a 2nd round pick of the Bills – could he surprise? Jones, a former 3rd round draft pick, does he fit in anywhere? TJ or Donte? Would you bring back either one of them? How about the NFL draft? I think the Ravens have to consider the 5 following receivers:
- Titus Young, 5’11″ 174 out of Boise State with 4.39 speed. He could be our version of Mike Wallace, and could be there when we pick at #26 in the first round.
- Torrey Smith, 6’1″ 205 out of Maryland with 4.40 speed. A local product, who’s stock will rise with a good showing at the combine.
- Jonathan Baldwin, 6’5″ 225 out of Pitt with 4.5 speed. Intriguing prospect, but we already have Hardy on the roster.
- Leonard Hankerson, 6’2″ 205 out of The U with 4.54 speed. Had a good Senior Bowl, and moved up on the draft boards.
- Jerrel Jernigan, 5’9″ 189 out of Troy with 4.39 speed. He is also a very good kick returner.
It wouldn’t see that we need another “possession” type of a receiver, although our possession guys did have a couple of big drops in the divisional playoff loss. The question is who do you keep, who do you let go, who do you draft?
Of course the other piece to the puzzle that remains is HOW will the receivers be used this year? That’s another story, for another day……………