When the Jets come to Baltimore on Sunday, it is expected that Kellen Clemens will be under center for the Jets offense. Although that will be a tough test for Clemens, do not discount what he can do. Here are my thoughts on what the Ravens have to do defensively and Kellen Clemens:
- The Ravens will pressure Clemens, but have to be mindful that he is more mobile out of the pocket and not over pursue him. Clemens may actually have a stronger arm than Pennington when it comes to throwing the deep ball down the field, so the secondary has to make sure to stay with their man the entire time.
- Although Cotchery and Coles are not mentioned when it comes to elite WR duo’s in the NFL, they are very good at breaking tackles and making things happen. The Ravens secondary will have to make sure they wrap up the WR’s and not allow them to break tackles and take a 10 yd pass the distance.
- Last time Thomas Jones faced the Ravens he went for over 100yds rushing, which to the Ravens defense is like saying bad words in church, you just don’t do it. It will be interesting to see if that was more the Bears o-line or just Thomas Jones. You do have to remember that the Ravens did not have Ray Lewis that game in Chicago and Jones broke off a long run at the end of the game to get the 100yds.
- The Jets have a relatively young o-line with only one guy having played over 5 years in the NFL. Although Nick Mangold is a solid center for the Jets, he may not have ever had to try and identify who is doing what with a defense like the Ravens before. The Ravens are very good at making you thing that you know who is coming, then you blink your eyes and every one has changed positions.
- Just to see how much this defense moves around, watch this clip from NFL Network starting at about the 2:20 mark and see what I am talking about.
Later today I will give you my thoughts on what the Ravens have to do offensively to help them win this game.