About two months ago, I posted some questions that would be answered in the mid-summer. Most have been answered, some the final outcome have been postponed. I though we would look back and see where I was right and where I was wrong and see how everything has shaken out. I guess this is part narcissism and part sadism. The first because I like to talk about myself, and the second because we’ll see how often I was wrong. So, here were the questions.
(originally asked May 24th)
1. Who is going to take home the 2009 NCAA Lacrosse title tomorrow?
My Pick: Syracuse 12-9
Real answer: Syracuse had to score with 4.5 seconds left to send it to OT and then scored 80 seconds into OT to win 10-9
2. Will Rachel Alexandra run in the Belmont?
My pick: Yes
Real answer: No, but she will face the Belmont winner Summer Bird, in next months Haskell Invitational.
3. Will Kobe Bryant get his first ring without Shaq?
My pick: No, they will lose to a team in the Finals
Real answer: They whipped Orlando 4-1 in the Finals and Kobe got his ring.
4. Will Greivis Vasquez come back for his senior year?
My pick: Yes
Real answer: At the last minute, he came to his senses and withdrew from the draft.
5. Who will the Wizards get with the fifth pick?
My pick: Arizon’s Jordan Hill
Real answer: Washington pulled a fast one and made a trade. They acquired PG Randy Foyefrom Minnesota, which is probably safer than who they might have gotten with the 5th pick.
6. Will Sidney Crosby get his first Stanley Cup?
My pick: Yes
Real answer: In a great 7 game series, the Penguins came from behind to beat the Red Wings and get young gun Crosby his first Cup.
7. Who will win the Hart Trophy as NHL MVP?
My pick: Evgeni Malkin
Real answer: Malkinwas only able to skate away with the Playoff MVP, the regular season award went to local hero, Alex Ovechkin.
8. Can anyone beat Rafael Nadal at the French Open?
My pick: I said no, but that Juan Martin del Potro was a good darkhorse.
Real answer: Robin Soderling derailed the Rafa train, which opened the door to Roger Federer’s career Grand Slam. Del Potro did make the semis to make that part of my pick look ok.
9. Can Andy Murray end Britain’s 73 year drought at Wimbledon?
My pick: I said he’d at least make it to the finals against Federer and that that would be a great match.
real answer: Instead Andy Roddick beat Murray in the semis and took his place in an amazing Wimbledon final two days later.
10. Who will take this years first NASCAR race at Dover on May 31st?
My pick: Carl Edwards
Real answer: Jimmie Johnson edged Tony Stewart to win the Autism 400. Edwards placed seventh.
11. How will Floyd Mayweather look in his comeback fight against Juan Manuel Marquez on July 18th?
My pick: I think Marquez will shock the world and dominate the late rounds to win a close decision.
Real answer: The fight was postponed until September 19th
12. Can David Haye end the Klitschko monopoly of the Heavyweight division?
My pick: I said no when he was fight Wladimir and I still say no, now that it has been switched to Vitali. I see a Vitali Klitschko 8th round KO.
Real answer: Haye pulled out of the fight with Wladimir Klitschko with an injury. Wladimir went ahead and defeated Ruslan Chagaev that night. Now Haye is set to fight the other brother Vitali on September 12th.
13. Will Brett Favre be a Minnesota Viking this season?
My pick: Yes
Real answer: As each day passes it looks more and more likely. Favre definitely WANTS to play for Minnesota, if he is healthy enough.
14. Who will be the Orioles starter on Tuesday night?
My pick: Chris Waters
Real answer: It turned out to be Jason Berken
15. How will Manny Ramirez be treated when he returns from suspension?
My pick: Jeered by opposing team fans, loved by the Dodger fans. Because its not about the person, its about the jersey they wear.
Real answer: Pretty much what I said.
16. Will Adam Jones be able to keep up his torrid pace?
My pick: I said no, but that he still might end up with about a .320 BA and about 30 HR’s and 100 RBI’s. Which amazingly was a big dropoff for what he was doing at the time.
Real answer: Currently he is on pace for around a .303 BA, 24 HR’s and 95 RBI’s.
17. Which team will win the 2009 College World Series?
My pick: Arizona St.
Real answer: ASU made the semifinals for me, but the champion turned out to be a different , but similar set of initials. LSU
18. Who will be the All-Star game starting pitchers?
My pick: I said Roy Halladay and Johan Santana
Real answer: I was half right. It was Halladay and Tim Lincecum.
19. Who will be the second MLB manger to be fired this season?
My pick: I said Cleveland’s Eric Wedge
Real answer: Since my guess both Colorado’s Clint Hurdle and Washington’s Manny Acta have been let go and Wedge is still plugging along.
20. Can DC United stay in first place in the Eastern Conference of MLS?
My pick: I said that DC would not win the East, but would still make the playoffs.
Real answer: The season is not over yet. But as of now they aren’t in first, but would make the playoffs.
21. Which European superstar will be the next to make their way to MLS?
My pick: Thierry Henry
Real answer: There have been rumors about Henry, but no one has taken the plunge yet.
22. Can Tiger Woods repeat as US Open champion?
My pick: I said no. I predicted a sixth place finish, 5 strokes off the pace for Tiger. I threw out Justin Leonard as a possible winner.
Real answer: Well, Lucas Glover won. I sure didn’t have that. Leonard didn’t do well and missed the cut. But I did get Tiger right. He finished 6th, 4 strokes from the leader.
Well, I guess I did ok. Not great, but ok. Now I need to come up with a set of new questions.