As the sport of mixed martial arts continues on its meteoric rise that it is on now, having a couple of television shows does not hurt.
Spike TV has the very popular The Ultimate Fighter, which is currently in its fifth season.
Now, the Versus channel has come out with it’s on show called Tapout. Tapout is one of the original fight gear providers. Tonight was the debut episode, and of course I watched it. The basis of the show is that these three guys who make up Tapout go around looking for up and coming mixed martial arts fighters to sponsor. They find the guy then take him to his next fight, get to know him on a personal level then at the end he fights someone. For an up and coming fighter, having Tapout gear is a pretty big deal. Tapout has very interesting website.
I posted the video of Johnnie Morton getting knocked out last night in one of my earlier blogs, well Johnnie may have a short lived fighting career. He has been suspended after failing to give a urinalysis sample following the fight. Not a smart move Johnnie.
Speaking of suspensions, coming off of UFC 71, the Nevada State Athletic Commission has handed down its medical suspensions after the fights:
- Chuck Liddell – suspended until 07/12/07 with no contact until 06/26/07.
- Ivan Salaverry – suspended until 06/26/07 with no contact until 06/17/07. Requires orthopedic doctor clearance on his right shoulder to return prior to 11/23/07.
- Karo Parisyan – must have his left thumb x-rayed and cleared by an orthopedic doctor otherwise he will be suspended until 11/23/07.
- Keith Jardine – suspended until 07/26/07 with no contact until 07/12/07
- Chris Leben – suspended until 06/26/07 with no contact until 06/17/07 due to a right eyebrow laceration
- Kalib Starnes – suspended until 06/26/07 with no contact until 06/17/07 due to a left cheek laceration
- James Irvin – requires orthopedic doctor clearance on his right knee to return prior to 11/23/07
- Carmello Marrero – suspended until 07/12/07 with no contact until 06/26/07