As promised. Here are the answers to my latest list of trivia questions. For those who checked out the questions last week, now you see how you did. For those just now checking the post, you get some silly information. Everybody wins. So without further ado, here are the answers.
1) Since 1967 what team won the Stanley Cup with the worst non-strike regular season record?
1992 Pittsburgh Penguins 39-32-9
2) Since 1966 what team won the NBA Finals with the worst regular season record?
Our own 1978 Washington Bullets 44-38
3) Since 1969 what team won the World series with the worst non-strike regular season record?
2006 St. Louis Cardinals 83-78
4) Since 1966 what team won the Super Bowl with the most losses?
Tie) 1988 San Francisco 49ers and 2007 NY Giants 10-6
5) Since 1960 what team won the NCAA Mens’ Basketball tournament with the most losses?
1988 Kansas Jayhawks 21-11
6) A four parter. Who was the most recent number one overall draft pick to win a championship in……….
NHL Sidney Crosby, 2005 #1 pick
NBA Tim Duncan, 1997 #1 pick
MLB Pat Burrell, 1998 #1 pick
NFL Eli Manning, 2004 #1 pick
Since my earlier trivia blogs were hidden away in the contestant section, I will post an old one with each new set. Just for a little extra fun.
(Originally posted on April 13th)
Question 1- What college was attended by my childhood football hero Minnesota Vikings QB Tommy Kramer?
Question 2- What Oriole was the starting pitcher in the first home game of the inaugural Oriole season in 1954?
Question 3- Bear Bryant left Texas A&M to take the Alabama head football coaching job in 1958. What other three men have also held both of those positions?
Dennis Franchione, Gene Stallings, Dorset Graves
Question 4- When Kurt Warner and Ben Roethlisberger took the field in Super Bowl 43 it had been a few years since the two starting QB’s had already won Super Bowl rings as starters. In which Super Bowl before this years had it happened most recently?
1984- Oakland Raiders vs. Washington Redskins
Jim Plunkett Joe Theismann
Question 5- What Hall of Fame boxer was held to a surprisingly close decision victory by fringe contender Randy Shields at the Baltimore Civic center in October of 1978?
Sugar Ray Leonard
Question 6- What lower division college basketball coach took his teams to 9 national championship games (winning 4) during the years between the 1997-98 season and 2007-08?
Kentucky Wesleyan (98,99,00,01,02,03)
Oklahoma City (06,07,08)