It’s not even 8 a.m. and the rumors are already swirling…
“Jason Garrett is on a plane for Atlanta…”
“He and his wife are downtown…”
“They are in Owings Mills with Steve Bisciotti readying for an afternoon press conference…”
Who the heck KNOWS what to believe?
We know he arrived last night. We know the Ravens have pretty strong intentions of never letting him get on a plane to Atlanta this morning. And we know he’s a strong enough candidate that at some point in the next 48 hours he’s gonna be a head coach somewhere.
A few people have asked what I know about him.
I do not know Jason Garrett at all. I know a lot of people who DO know Jason Garrett and all of the reports are positive. He’s a classy, well-thought-of guy in NFL circles.
I actually remembered last night that I met him one time. I was in Austin, Tex. in 2003 at a Bruce Springsteen concert with Brian Baldinger and Curt Menafee, and Garrett was with Troy Aikman at the hotel after the concert. I was there visiting Nils Lofgren and they were holding court in the lobby of the hotel.
I shook his hand. Once. Said hello. That’s about all I can tell you.
But the references must’ve poured in on a guy who has:
* three Super Bowl rings as Aikman’s understudy in Dallas (and remains one of Aikman’s best friends, from what we understand)
* was actually on the losing side of our Super Bowl 35, as Kerry Collins’ backup
* played for Jimmy Johnson, Barry Switzer, Jim Fassel and Jon Gruden
* coached with Nick Saban and Wade Phillips
* attended Princeton and graduated, so he’s no dummy!
* his wife, Brill, actually has him outpointed — she’s a Harvard Law School graduate!
* grew up in a family of all football people, including his dad who was a Cleveland Browns coach and his brothers who are coaches in the league (Dallas and St. Louis) now
* grew up in suburban Cleveland, which makes football a part of his DNA
Garrett is a guy with as much “juice” as a 41-year old could possibly have in the NFL. Other than being a starting QB in the league, he’s done just about everything he could do to prepare for a potential press conference in Owings Mills later today.
We’ll know in the next few hours what the deal will be…