Loyola, Hopkins, Maryland, Stevenson Victorious in Week 2 of College Lacrosse Season

February 27, 2011 | WNST Staff

Saturday’s college lacrosse action was highlighted by a Loyola win over Towson in a low-scoring affair, a historic beatdown of Georgetown handed down by Maryland and different results for Johns Hopkins and UMBC in their respective home openers. Here’s a rundown of Saturday’s local college lacrosse action, with results taken from official press releases…

Langan Scores Game-Winner Versus Towson In Defensive Affair

TOWSON, Md. – Matt Langan curled around the crease and scored his second goal of the game with 3:41 left in regulation, as Loyola University Maryland defeated host Towson University, 3-2, in non-conference action at Johnny Unitas Stadium.

Goalkeeper Jake Hagelin and the 15th-ranked Greyhounds’ defense held Towson to just 21 shots and eight on goal. Hagelin made six saves and tied for team-high honors with five ground balls.

Towson (0-2 overall) took a 2-1 lead with 10:06 left in the third quarter when Alec Jernstedt, a long-stick midfielder, scored in transition off a Peter Mezzanotte pass.

The Tigers continued to hold Loyola (2-0) without a goal for the next 19:23 until Davis Butts rushed toward the face of the goal and shot a pass to Mike Sawyer who was stationed 12 yards outside at the top of the left alley.

Sawyer ripped a shot past Towson goalkeeper Travis Love to tie the score at 2-2 with 5:43 remaining in regulation.

Loyola won the ensuing faceoff, as Scott Ratliff reached to pick up a ground ball that faceoff specialist John Schiavone pushed toward the Greyhounds’ defensive end.

Towson, however, regained possession when Stephen Murray’s shot went just outside the near pipe, and Love picked up the ground ball.

The Greyhounds forced a turnover on the Tigers’ clearing attempt. Mike Sawyer came from behind to strip Mezzanotte of possession, and the ball rolled out of bounds in Loyola’s favor.

After a media timeout, Love made a save on a Sawyer shot with 3:51 to go, but 10 seconds later, Langan wrapped around the backside of the crease and delivered a low shot from right to left into the bottom corner of the goal.

“We were in an inverted offensive set there, and Chris Basler had a short-stick defender on him,” Langan said. “He kind of got away from him, and I was able to sneak in past them. I dropped my hands and got my stick around the near side.”

Schiavone scored another win on the ensuing faceoff, pushing the ball to Josh Hawkins, and Loyola ran nearly 90 seconds off the clock before calling a timeout with 2:14 to play. Head Coach Charley Toomey called another timeout for the Greyhounds with 1:31 to go, but Towson, using a seven-man ride, forced a turnover with 1:11 left on the clock.

“I looked at (Hagelin) and the defense (during the second timeout), and I said, `one more stop, and we go home (with a win),'” Toomey said. “It is good to know that we can score in 6-on-6 (offense), and that if it is a slow game, we can gut it out with our athleticism.”

Loyola forced the Tigers to use almost 30 seconds of clock to clear the ball to their offensive zone, and Ratliff then caused a Carl Iacona turnover.

The Greyhounds, however, were unable to clear the ball, and Towson had possession after a timeout with 10 ticks remaining. Matt Hughes attempted a shot from the top with four seconds left, but it was blocked away by a Loyola defender, and the Greyhounds came away with the victory.

Loyola won the battle of the ground balls, picking up 27 to the Tigers’ 17, and Schiavone won 6-of-9 restarts. Hagelin and Hawkins led Loyola with four ground balls each, while Ratliff had four and Sawyer picked up three.

The teams played to a scoreless draw after the first quarter despite 14 combined shots. It remained that way in the second period, although Loyola appeared to have broken through. Pat Byrnes bounced a shot past Love, but he was called for being in the crease with 9:50 to go before halftime. Towson, however, had committed a pushing penalty, and the Greyhounds went on extra-man for the second time in the half.

The game was the lowest scoring contest for the Greyhounds since they defeated Ohio State by the same score on March 23, 1962.

Loyola is back in action at Ridley Athletic Complex next Saturday when it hosts Bellarmine University at 1 o’clock in ECAC Lacrosse League action.

Blue Jays Move to 3-0 with 16-6 Win Against Siena

BALTIMORE, MD – Ninth-ranked Johns Hopkins got three goals and two assists from both senior attackman Chris Boland and sophomore midfielder John Greeley and nine different players scored for the Blue Jays in a 16-6 win over Siena at Homewood Field Saturday afternoon. JHU improves to 3-0 with the win, while the Saints slip to 1-2.

JHU got off to another quick start as the Blue Jays scored on their first shot of the game for the third time in as many games this season. Freshman Rob Guida needed just 36 seconds to stake the Blue Jays to an early 1-0 lead as he made a nice cut down the ally and scored from in tight off nifty feed from Boland. Siena tied the game 30 seconds later when Colin Clive scored an extra-man goal off a feed from Chris Roth, but the Blue Jays scored the next four goals and the Saints were never closer than three the rest of the way.

Boland notched a natural hat trick as he scored the final three goals of the first quarter for the Blue Jays, including back-to-back markers in a 61-second span late in the quarter to make it 4-1 at the end of the first period.

Guida’s linemates, John Ranagan and Greeley, got into the scoring act in the second quarter as they wrapped goals around a Bryan Neufeld tally for Siena in the back half of the quarter and sophomore Zach Palmer made it 7-2 at the half with some nifty work in traffic late in the period.

Any hopes for a Siena comeback were dashed in the first seven minutes of the third quarter as the Blue Jays scored five times and allowed just a Neufeld goal during that spree to push the lead out to 12-4.

Sophomore Chase Winter opened the run with his first career goal just 2:21 into the period, while Greeley scored twice and Matt Dolente and Eric Ruhl also scored before the quarter was seven minutes old. Neufeld’s goal, like his first of the game, came in an unsettled situation after a Blue Jay turnover.

Hopkins outscored the Saints 4-3 over the final 23:30 of the game to account for the 16 goals for JHU, while Dan Lawson, Danny Martinsen and Bryan Renneisen all scored during that time for the Saints.

Greeley’s three goals and five points are both career highs, while Boland’s three goals and five points are both season highs. The Blue Jays got five goals and five assists from the starting attack unit of Boland, Palmer and senior Kyle Wharton and seven goals and two assists from the first midfield of Greeley, Ranagan and Guida.

Neufeld extended his nation-leading scoring streak to 38 games with the two goals and one assists, while Martinsen matched his Neufeld’s point total with the one goal and two assists.

Pierce Bassett made 12 saves in goal for Johns Hopkins, which held advantages in shots (48-24), ground balls (37-19) and faceoffs (16-8). The Blue Jay defense held Siena scoreless for a stretch of 22:52 after Clive’s goal – that’s the fifth time in three games JHU has held the opposition scoreless for stretch of 14 minutes or longer.

Johns Hopkins will return to action on Saturday, March 5 when the Blue Jays welcome Princeton to Homewood Field.

Notes: 12 of JHU’s 16 goals were scored by freshmen and sophomores • One game after scoring eight goals in the third quarter against Delaware, JHU scored six in the third period of today’s win against Siena • JHU has outscored its three opponents 18-4 in the third quarter this season • JHU has held its last five regular season opponents to six goals or less.

Siena (1-2) 1-1-2-2/6
#9 Johns Hopkins (3-0) 4-3-6-3/16

Goals: S: Neufeld-2, Martinsen, Clive, Lawson, Renneisen. J: Greeley-3, Boland-3, Ranagan-2, Guida-2, Palmer-2, Winter, Dolente, Ruhl, Sanders. Assists: S: Martinsen-2, DeBellis, Neufeld, Roth J: Wharton-3, Boland-2, Greeley-2, Rodgers. Saves: S: Morr-6, Kelly-7, Sharp-1. J: Bassett-12, Burke-0, Schneider-1. Shots: S-22. J-48. EMO: S: 1-for-4. J: 2-for-6. Attendance: 1,460.

Beltway Blowout: Terps Throttle Hoyas

COLLEGE PARK, Md. – Senior Grant Catalino scored five goals and added an assist to lead the No. 3 University of Maryland men’s lacrosse team to a 20-8 victory over No. 14 Georgetown in the annual “Battle of the Beltway” Saturday afternoon at Capital One Field at Byrd Stadium.

The Terps (2-0) held a 6-4 lead at halftime, but outscored Georgetown (1-1) 7-3 in the third quarter to blow the game open.

Junior Drew Snider, who finished the game with his first career hat trick, got things rolling for Maryland less than three minutes into the third with his second goal of the game. Senior Ryan Young, who ended up with two goals and three assists, slipped a nice pass to Snider in the crease and Snider finished with a quick shot inside the far post to give Maryland a 7-4 lead.

The Terps appeared to go up 8-4 less than a minute after Snider’s goal, but an unassisted goal by Catalino was taken off the board due to a Maryland penalty. The Hoyas wasted no time capitalizing on the extra-man opportunity as Max Seligmann scored his second of the game to make it a two-goal game again.

Maryland responded off the ensuing face-off with Catalino’s second goal of the game to take it back to a three-goal Terrapin lead at 8-5 at the 10:18 mark. The frenetic play continued with the Hoyas striking back less than two minutes later on a goal by Brian Casey.

But that was as close as the Hoyas would get for the rest of the game.

The Terps scored four goals in three minutes to extend their lead to six goals at 12-6 with 7:07 left in the third.

Sophomore Curtis Holmes was the catalyst for Maryland all day and he cleanly won the face-off after Casey’s goal and pushed the ball up the field and found Catalino waiting on the left wing. Catalino then ripped a shot past Hoya goalie Jack Davis to make it a 9-6 game.

A Joe Cummings goal off an assist from Young at 8:38 pushed the Maryland lead to 10-6.

Catalino scored again from the left wing at 7:17, ripping another shot inside the far upper corner to give the Terps a five-goal lead. Sophomore John Haus picked up his first of two assists on the score.

The 4-0 run was fittingly capped off by Holmes, who won another face-off. He quickly advanced the ball and found senior Brian Farrell barreling down the right side of the field. Farrell took the pass and laced a shot past Davis to make it 12-6 Maryland.

A David Shriver goal stopped the bleeding for the Hoyas at the 6:16 mark of the third, but the Terps put the game completely out of reach by scoring the next eight to hit the 20-goal mark for the first time since 2005.

Great ball movement by the entire offense ended up with Cummings finishing off an easy shot on the Hoya crease with 5:02 left in the third to begin the scoring deluge.

Sophomore Owen Blye, who finished with a career-high four points, opened the scoring in the fourth with an easy wrap-around goal from behind the right side of the cage at the 14:07 mark.

Haus picked up his first goal of the season with 13:25 left in the fourth, finishing a great athletic play. Haus beat his defender with a great dodge from the left side of the goal and got off a diving shot near the crease just before the slide came.

Catalino’s fifth of the game made it 16-7 and also gave sophomore Kevin Cooper his second assist of the day.

Two goals by Young were sandwiched around Snider’s third of the game to make it 19-7 with 5:52 remaining.

Maryland’s 20th and final goal was the first collegiate goal by freshman Brendan Saylor. The native of Fairport, N.Y., received a great skip pass from redshirt junior Bob Kercher, who picked up his first career assist on the play, and finished from the left alley, beating Hoya back-up goalie CT Fisher.

Georgetown’s C-Jay Engelke scored his first career goal to close things out with 1:04 remaining.

As explosive as the Maryland offense was, the key to the victory was the play of Holmes at the face-off X. The native of Marriottsville, Md., won 20 of 31 face-offs and had a game-high eight groundballs. His 20 face-off wins marks the first time a Terp has won 20 or more draws since 1991 when Andy Claxton had 27 wins vs. Towson. Holmes was also a factor offensively, scoring his first career goal (which tied the game at 3-3 midway through the second quarter) and added his first two career assists.

The Terrapin defense turned in another terrific performance vs. the Hoyas, which scored 15 goals in its season debut win at Jacksonville. Redshirt freshman Niko Amato finished the game with eight saves, while allowing just seven goals, in 54:08 of work.

Another big factor in the game was groundballs and the Terps came up big there too, winning the groundball battle 49-30. Senior Brett Schmidt had five groundballs to go along with three caused turnovers, while Farrell, Jake Bernhardt, Ryder Bohlander, Scott LaRue and Michael Shakespeare each chipped in with three GBs. Sophomore Jesse Bernhardt tied with Schmidt with a team-high three caused turnovers.

Maryland hits the road for the first time in 2011 when it heads to Durham, N.C., for an ACC showdown on Saturday, March 5. The Terps and the Blue Devils are set for a 3 p.m. start at Koskinen Stadium. The game is slated to be shown live on ESPN3.com.

Game Notes:
• With today’s 20-8 win Maryland is now 9-2 all-time vs. Georgetown.
• The last time the Terps scored 20 or more goals in a game was May 7, 2005 in a 21-6 win over Penn.
• With six points on five goals and an assist, senior Grant Catalino now has 11 hat tricks, 39 multi-point and 31 multi-goal for his career.
• Catalino’s five goals give him 95 for his career and moves him into 13th place on Maryland’s all-time goal-scoring list. He passed Bob Boniello (1977-80) and Andrew Whipple (1995-98), who each had 93 during their Terrapin careers.
• Catalino’s six points also moved him into a tie with Scott Hochstadt (1996-99) and John Lamon (1976-79) for 18th place on the Terps’ all-time points list.
• With five points on two goals and three assist, senior Ryan Young now had 38 multi-point, 18 multi-goal and 22 multi-assist games for his career.
• Young’s five points move him into a tie with Alan Lowe (1965-67) for 26th place on the Terps’ all-time points list.
• With two points of two goals, junior Joe Cummings now has 14 multi-point and eight multi-goal games for his career.
• Senior long pole Brian Farrell had a goal and an assist to record his fifth career multi-point game.
• Junior Drew Snider tallied his first career hat trick and now has five multi-point and four multi-goal games for his career.
• Sophomore Owen Blye set a career high with four points on a career-best two goals and two assists for his second career multi-point and multi-assist game.
• Sophomore John Haus had two assist, marking his second career game with multiple assists. Haus leads the team with six assists after totaling just two during his entire freshman season.
• Sophomore Curtis Holmes won 20 of 31 face-offs to set career highs in both face-offs won and taken. Holmes is the first Terp to have 20 or more face-off wins in a game since Andy Claxton had 27 vs. Towson on March 18, 1991.
• The Terps held Georgetown scoreless for 20:12 from 6:16 of the third quarter to 1:04 of the fourth, marking the second time this season that Maryland has held an opponent scoreless for 20 or more minutes.
• Maryland finished with 35 points on 20 goals and 15 assists, marking the second time this season that the Terps have hit the 30-point mark. Maryland finished with 30 points on 16 goals and 14 assists in its season-opening win over Detroit Mercy.

Rutgers Downs UMBC, 12-5

BALTIMORE—Visiting Rutgers outscored five consecutive first half goals and the Scarlet Knights improved to 3-0 by defeating UMBC (1-1), 12-5, in the home opener for the Retrievers.

Junior attackman Kevin Hover led the RU attack with three goals, while junior midfielder Will Mangan added two goals and one assist.

Five different players scored for the Retrievers, but UMBC managed to put only nine of 26 shots on goal.

UMBC junior attackman Rob Grimm (Black River, N.Y.) equalized Rutgers’ Michael Diehl’s opening goal to knot the game at 1-1 at the 3:51 mark of the first quarter. But Hover scored with 2:27 remaining in the first quarter and gave the visitors the lead for good.

The Scarlet Knights took advantage of back-to-back man-up situations to grow the lead to 4-1 midway through the second quarter. Mangan scored at the 9:32 mark, and Diehl posted his second goal of the game 70 seconds later.

Rutgers lead, 6-1, at halftime, but UMBC managed to exchange the first six goals of the half with the visitors and sophomore Scott Hopmann’s (Annapolis, Md./St. Mary’s) tally at the 9:26 mark of the fourth quarter brought the Retrievers to within 9-4.

UMBC created a turnover while doubling the ball on Rutgers’ ensuing possession, but promptly committed a give-away of its own. The Knights would take advantage of the Retrievers’ gambling defensive strategy as they scored three times in a span of 1:38 to take command at 12-4 with 4:36 remaining.

Rutgers outshot UMBC, 30-26, and the Retrievers committed 24 turnovers. RU sophomore netminder Joseph Donnelly made four saves to record the win. UMBC junior Brian McCullough (Garden City, N.Y.) took the loss, allowing six goals and making two saves in the first half. Sophomore Adam Cohen (Arnold, Md./The Severn School) allowed six second half goals and made four stops.

The Retrievers won the first five draws of the game, but Rutgers would capture 13 of the final 16 and dominated time of possession over the final 45 minutes.

In addition to Grimm and Hopmann, sophomore midfielder Scott Jones (Port Coquitlam, B.C.), freshman attackman Matt Gregoire (Crofton, Md./South River) and sophomore midfielder Neill Lewnes (Arnold, Md./South River) tallied for UMBC.

Rutgers’ win even the series at 7-7.

UMBC travels to Chapel Hill, N.C. to take on the North Carolina Tar Heels on Saturday, March 5.

Four Hat Tricks Highlights 19-5 Win Over Kean for No. 3 Stevenson

OWINGS MILLS, Md. – Four different players had at least three goals for the Stevenson men’s lacrosse team, including three from senior Richie Ford (Baltimore/Towson) who made his first appearance of the season, as the No. 3 Mustangs rolled to its third-straight win, 19-5 over Kean Saturday at Caves Athletics Complex.

Stevenson (3-0) scored the game’s first six goals, five of which involved senior Jimmy Dailey (Westminster/Winters Mill) who totaled three goals and two assists, before the Cougars tallied three-straigth over the final five minutes of the first half to cut their deficit to three at the half, 6-3.

The Mustangs maintained their three-goal advantage after both teams exchanged man-up goals to start the second half, but they quickly put the game out of reach by scoring 11 consecutive to take an 18-4 advantage with just 3:44 remaining in the fourth quarter.

Ford totaled all four of his points on three goals and one assist during the run, including back-to-back tallies just 23 seconds apart to end the third quarter.

Dailey finished with nine points, one shy of his career-high, with four goals and five assists, two shy of his school record while senior Neal Barthelme (Towson/Dulaney) totaled a career-high seven points on four goals and three assists. Sophomore Tyler Reid (Clinton, Conn./Xavier) also scored three times for Stevenson.

A total of 13 players had at least one point for the Mustangs, including eight different goal scorers. Sophomore Mike Richardson (Arnold/St. Mary’s) and freshman C.J. Ugalde (North Babylon, N.Y./North Babylon) each picked up their first career goals while sophomore Danny Schanne (Dayton/River Hill) totaled his first career points with two assists.

Junior Ian Bolland (Mountain Lakes, N.J./Mountain Lakes) had seven saves as he won his fifth-straight career start.

Tom Clifford led the Cougars (1-1) with three points on a goal and two assists while Nick Angrisani had two goals. Lane Zierten finished with 18 saves.

Stevenson returns to action next Wednesday, March 2 when it hosts a CAC contest with Hood beginning at 3:00 p.m.