Loyola, Towson, Stevenson get wins; Hopkins, Maryland, UMBC suffer setbacks on third Saturday of College lacrosse season

March 05, 2011 | WNST Staff

Here are the official recaps of this weekend’s local college lacrosse action, thanks to each school’s Sports Information office…

10th-Ranked Princeton Too Much for 8th-Ranked Johns Hopkins, 8-3

BALTIMORE, MD – Johns Hopkins scored on its first shot of the game in each of its first three games this season and parlayed those quick starts in victories. On Saturday at Homewood Field, it was visiting Princeton that struck the first blow with a Tyler Moni goal just 58 second into the Tigers’ much-anticipated game against the eighth-ranked Blue Jays and Princeton never looked back in an 8-3 victory before a crowd of 3,936. The win is Princeton’s third straight against JHU and second straight at Homewood Field as the Tigers won their last game here in 2006.

Princeton, which had dropped its opener to Hofstra a week earlier, jumped to a 3-0 lead less than six minutes into the game as Forest Sonnenfeldt struck for an unassisted goal with a flag down and freshman Tom Schreiber added an extra-man tally 54 seconds later to dig the Blue Jays into their biggest hole of the young season.

Princeton wouldn’t beat JHU goalie Pierce Basset for more than 20 minutes after Schreiber’s goal, but Hopkins managed only a Kyle Wharton goal just over three minutes into the second quarter during that time and a late flurry by the Tigers just before halftime pushed the two-goal margin to 6-1 at the half.

Schreiber notched his second of the game with 3:41 remaining in the opening half as he went high-to-low on a pass from behind the goal from Chris McBride to make it 4-1 and Mike Grossman worked inside his defender and beat Bassett from in tight with 68 seconds remaining in the period. When Schreiber blew home an extra-man goal with 14 seconds remaining in the first half, the Tigers had a five-goal lead that Hopkins never seriously threatened in the second half.

While the Blue Jays never sliced into the deficit, which swelled to six early in the third quarter when Jeff Froccaro scored less than 90 seconds into the period, it certainly wasn’t for lack of chances. The Blue Jays had eight third-quarter possessions, but generated just one shot against seven turnovers against a suffocating Princeton defense and the Tigers closed the door for good when Schreiber polished off his four-goal, five-point showing with an unassisted goal 69 seconds into the fourth quarter.
Seniors Chris Boland and Kyle Wharton added markers for the Blue Jays in the final 10 minutes, but Princeton goalie Tyler Fiorito came up with three big saves down the stretch, including stops from in tight on Boland and John Greeley, to preserve the win.

Fiorito anchored the Princeton defense with a nine-save effort, while Schreiber’s four goals and five points paced a Tiger offense that generated 32 shots and maintained possession for long periods of time. Princeton’s time of possession advantage came in large part to a dominant performance on ground balls, where they held a 38-21 advantage.

#10 Princeton (1-1) 3-3-1-1/8
#8 Johns Hopkins (3-1) 0-1-0-2/3

GoalsP: Schreiber-4, Moni, Froccaro, Grossman, Sonnenfeldt. J: Wharton-2, Boland. Assists: P: Armour-2, McBridge, C.-2, Schreiber. J: Boland, Goodrich. SavesP: Fiorito-9. J: Bassett-9, Burke-0. Shots: P-32. J-25.EMOP: 2-for-4. ,b>J: 0-for-2. Attendance: 3,936.

Sawyer Scores Five As Loyola Runs Past Bellarmine
BALTIMORE – Mike Sawyer scored three of his career-high five goals during a 16-minute, 3-second stretch in the second half as Loyola University Maryland went on a 6-1 run to take control of a 9-6 victory over Bellarmine University on Saturday in the ECAC Lacrosse League opener at Ridley Athletic Complex.

Tied 3-3 at the half, Sawyer took a pass from Davis Butts and gave Loyola the lead just 45 seconds into the third quarter. The Knights, however, won the ensuing face-off and scored just six ticks later, as Will Cary fed Liam Kelly to knot the game at 4-4.

Loyola would go ahead, 5-4, with 9:26 left in the third when D.J. Comer rolled around the left side of the cage and ripped a hard shot past Bellarmine’s Dillon Ward for his third goal of the season. The score started a 5-0 Greyhounds’ run that would extend into the fourth quarter.

Two Bellarmine penalties over the next two-plus minutes would then contribute to a pair of Greyhounds’ goals.

Patrick Fanshaw found an open Sawyer near the top of the crease with 8:20 to play in the third, and Sawyer scored his fourth goal of the afternoon, and after another Knights’ penalty, Stephen Murray came down the left alley, caught a Matt Langan pass and scored with 6:34 on the third-quarter clock, giving the Greyhounds a 7-4 advantage.

Loyola’s John Schiavone won the next face-off, and 40 seconds after Murray’s goal, Langan sent another pass from behind the cage, finding Fanshaw for his second goal of the game.

Langan matched his career-high with four assists.”Matt Langan is our quarterback, and he did a great job of finding people who were open for good shots today,” Head Coach Charley Toomey said. “We think that anytime Mike Sawyer gets his hands free, he is going to have a good chance to score. For us, it’s a matter of putting our shots on goal because we have guys that are very good shooters when they do.”

The Greyhounds outshot Bellarmine, 42-26, putting 23 shots on frame.

Fanshaw’s goal gave Loyola an 8-4 lead going into the fourth quarter that Sawyer extended to 9-4 with 13:12 remaining in the game off a Comer assist.

Mitch McLaren and Kelly scored after that for Bellarmine, but Loyola ran out the clock on the Knights.

Loyola’s defense was stout for the third game in a row this season, holding Bellarmine to 26 shots. Goalkeeper Jake Hagelin made a season-high 11 saves, and the Greyhounds’ defense had a season-best 13 caused turnovers.

“We had a team that was dodging at us today, and that allowed us to get on their hands and create some turnovers,” sophomore defender Reid Acton said.

Acton led the team with a career-best four caused turnovers, while Steve Dircks and Scott Ratliff each had two.

Despite having just a 19-17 advantage in the first half, Loyola picked up 42 ground balls to Bellarmine’s 30.

Josh Hawkins led the way, grabbing seven ground balls for the second game in a row. Dircks and Schiavone each had five, while Hagelin and Chris Basler both picked up four.

Loyola took a 1-0 lead just 61 seconds into the game as Langan fed Fanshaw for the contest’s first goal. Billy Wersel tied things up for Bellarmine with 12:26 left in the first quarter before Langan found Sawyer free for a shot and goal with 6:24 on the clock.

Karsen Leung dodged and shot from 10 yards in front of the crease to pull the Knights even 1:36 into the second quarter, but Sawyer found the net again, this time unassisted, with 11:40 left in the first half.

Bellarmine’s Lance Robinson took a Leung pass and scored 34 ticks later to tie things up at 3-3, a score that would hold until Sawyer’s first goal in the third quarter.

Loyola steps back out of conference action on Friday when it travels to Durham, N.C., to take on the defending national champions, Duke, at 7 p.m.

#3 Terps Fall in OT at #19 Duke, 9-8

DURHAM, N.C. – The No. 3 University of Maryland men’s lacrosse team engaged in a back-and-forth battle at No. 19 Duke, but in the end it was the Blue Devils taking the victory, 9-8 in overtime, at Koskinen Stadium.

The Terps (2-1) drew first blood with just over three minutes into the game. Junior Joe Cummings scored unassisted with a stick-side high rocket from the left alley.

The lead was upped to 2-0 at the 10:31 mark when sophomore Landon Carr scored off of a nice feed from senior Grant Catalino. The Blue Devil defense used an early slide on Catalino, trying not to let the Terps’ leading scorer get off a shot, but that left Carr wide open in the right alley.

The Blue Devils (2-2) made it all even at 2-2 with back-to-back unassisted goals by Jordan Wolf and David Lawson.

Maryland regained the lead with a man-up goal at the 2:49 mark, capitalizing on a slash by Duke’s Luke Dupree. Senior Travis Reed made a great pass to Cummings on the crease and Cummings finished the play with ease.

Duke drew first blood at the start of the second to even things up at three goals apiece. Zach Howell scored on an unsettled situation at the 12:46 mark.

The Blue Devils took their first lead of the game on a Jake Tripucka goal with 7:08 left in the second, but the Terps knotted things back up at 4-4 with 2:48 remaining on an unassisted goal by John Haus.

The game appeared to be headed into halftime with the scored tied, but Tripucka struck again for the Blue Devils, giving them a 5-4 lead with just three seconds left in the half.

Duke extended its lead to 7-4 early in the third when Justin Turri and Wolf scored back-to-back goals.

Redshirt freshman Niko Amato kept the Terps within striking distance with eight saves in the third quarter. He finished the game with a career high 19 stops.

The Terps got back on the board early in the fourth thanks to an exceptional individual effort by Carr. He stripped his man in the Maryland defensive zone with a great check. Carr then picked up the groundball, outran two Blue Devils and scored on a bounce shot from 10 yards out to make cut the Blue Devil lead to 7-5 with 11:55 remaining.

Maryland’s short sticks continued to be an offensive force as junior Michael Shakespeare scored an unassisted goal at the 11:07 mark to trim it to a one-goal deficit.

The midfield struck again less than three minutes later when Haus dodged down the left alley and beat Duke goalie Dan Wigrizer far side to tie the game at 7-7.

Maryland retook the lead with 3:48 to go on Haus’ third goal of the game. He dodged down the right alley and beat Wigrizer low for the 8-7 Terrapin lead.

The Terps seemed to have the game won when Carr stripped the ball from a Blue Devil, but the officials ruled a hold on the play giving the ball back to Duke and Howell made it count tying the game with his second goal of the game with just three seconds left in the fourth, sending the game into overtime.

That set the stage for Wolf to score the game winner with 1:01 gone in the overtime period.

Maryland has a short turnaround with a game vs. Bellarmine on tap for Monday, March 7 at 3 p.m. at Capital One Field at Byrd Stadium.

Game Notes:
• With today’s 9-8 loss Maryland is now 56-18 all-time vs. Duke.
• Maryland is now 18-20-3 all-time in overtime games.
• With two points on two goals, junior Joe Cummings now has 15 multi-point and nine multi-goal games for his career.
• Sophomore John Haus tied his career high with three goals and now has two hat tricks, six multi-point games and four multi-goal games for his career.
• Sophomore Landon Carr set a career high with two goals for his first career multi-point and multi-goal game.
• Senior defender Brett Schmidt set a career best with six groundballs.
• The Terps held Duke scoreless for 23:30 from 8:33 of the third quarter to 0:03 of the fourth, marking the third time this season that Maryland has held an opponent scoreless for 20 or more minutes.

Tigers Erupt For 11-3 Win Over The Mount
EMMITSBURG, Md. – Sophomore Matt Hughes scored two of his career high three goals in the first 8:05 of the game as the Tigers (1-2) erupted for four early goals en route to a dominating 11-3 victory over Mount St. Mary’s (0-2) at Waldron Family Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

The Tigers, who were held to eight goals in their first two games of the season, were never seriously threatened after grabbing the early 4-0 lead. The Tigers owned a 6-2 lead at halftime and shut out the Mountaineers for the first 26:21 of the second half.

By the time sophomore Andrew Scalley ended the Mountaineers’ 29:57 scoring drought, the Tigers owned a comfortable 10-2 lead.

“We moved the ball very well and we put our shots on the goal,” said Coach Tony Seaman. “After the way we struggled on offense the last two weeks, it was such a relief to get that 4-0 lead. You could see it on the field. The kids relaxed and we played with much more confidence.”

While the Tigers scored 11 goals on 46 shots, their defense did a great job shutting down the Mountaineers. Led by junior Michael Landy and senior Marc Ingerman, the Tiger defense held The Mount to 31 shots and forced 13 turnovers. The Tigers also harassed the Mountaineers into five failed clears.

“Our defense has been playing well all season,” said Coach Seaman. “They have so much confidence in our goalkeeper (Travis Love) and they force the other team to take shots that our goalie can save.”

After scoring only two goals in a 3-2 loss to Loyola last week, the Tigers came out firing against The Mount. With 13:09 left in the first quarter, Hughes scored an unassisted goal to give Towson a quick 1-0 advantage. Less than a minute later, freshman Andrew Hodgson scored his first career goal off a pass from Hughes. Senior Peter Mezzanotte set up the goal by forcing a turnover.

With 9:16 left in the first quarter, junior Stephen Norris scored his first goal of the season off a pass from Hodgson to put the Tigers up, 3-0. With 6:55 remaining in the opening period, Hughes upped the lead to 4-0 when he scored his second goal of the game off a pass from Carl Iacona.

After being shut out for the first 14 minutes, the Mountaineers scored their first goal of the game when sophomore Andrew Scalley tallied an unassisted goal with 49 seconds left in the first quarter.

Although The Mount outshot Towson in the opening quarter by a 10-9 margin, the Mountaineers trailed by 4-1 as Love made five saves in the first period.

In the second quarter, the Tigers continued to dominate play. With 13:40 remaining in the second quarter, freshman Thomas DeNapoli tallied the first goal of his career to give Towson a 5-1 lead.

Hughes scored his third goal of the game off a pass from Pat Britton with 6:45 left in the half to put the Tigers up by 6-1. Junior midfielder Bryant Schmidt’s goal on a 15-yard shot with 3:36 remaining in the half cut The Mount’s deficit to 6-2.

In the second half, the Tigers extended their lead by adding two goals in the third period. DeNapoli’s second goal of the game made it a 7-2 lead with only 1:20 elapsed. With 4:06 remaining in the third quarter, junior Michael Brashears scored the Tigers’ first extra man goal of the season off a pass from Mezzanotte to put Towson ahead, 8-2.

In the third quarter, the held the Mountaineers to eight shots and Love made saves on five of them.

With 11:58 left in the game, junior Matt Lamon scored his second goal of the season on a fast break as he took a pass from Mezzanotte to give the Tigers a 9-2 lead. With 5:52 remaining, Hodgson scored an extra man goal off a pass from senior Tim Stratton to give the Tigers a 10-2 advantage.

The Mountaineers spent most of the fourth period killing off penalties as they were called for four slashing penalties in the final 6:48 of the game.

With his team trailing by 10-2, Scalley scored his second goal of the game on a behind-the-back shot off a pass from Brendan Harrison to cut the deficit to 10-3. That goal ended a scoreless streak of 29:57.

With 34 seconds left in the game, Norris scored his second goal of the game, another extra man goal, to put the game away. Brashears assisted on the goal.

“Winning sure helps everything,” said Coach Seaman, who earned his 97th victory as the Tigers’ coach. “When I saw those 11 goals on the scoreboard, I wanted to take a picture of it. I’m not sure anyone back in Towson would believe it.”

Hughes led the Tigers with three goals and one assist as he tied his career high with four points. Hodgson and DeNapoli each enjoyed the first two-goal games of their young careers. Norris also scored a pair of goals.

Love made 11 saves for the Tigers before giving way to sophomore Andrew Wascavage, who made two saves in the final minutes.

The Tigers return to action next Saturday when they host Maryland at 12 noon at Johnny Unitas® Stadium.

UMBC Rallies, But No. 11 North Carolina Prevails, 13-9; Grimm Posts Five-Point Game

Chapel Hill, N.C.—Junior attackman Rob Grimm (Black River, N.Y./Carthage) tied a career-high with five points, but a Retriever comeback fell short, as No. 11 North Carolina (3-1) defeated UMBC (1-2),13-9,at Fetzer Field.

Grimm scored three goals and added a pair of assists, while freshman midfielder Zach Linkous (Jarrettsville, Md./St. Paul’s) and sophomore midfielder Scott Hopmann (Annapolis, Md./St. Mary’s) added two goals apiece.

UMBC was 3-for-3 in extra-man opportunities in the game.

North Carolina was paced by attackman Nicky Galasso who scored a pair of goals and added three assists, while midfielder Marcus Holman scored four goals.

Trailing 9-2 at the 9:47 mark of the third quarter, UMBC rallied furiously and closed the gap to 11-8 on a man-up goal by Linkous with 7:09 to play in the game. After killing off a penalty, UMBC had two opportunities to close with a pair of goals, but a Linkous’ shot attempt was blocked and Grimm’s effort was stopped by Tar Heel netminder Chris Madalon.

Carolina’ Will Campbell would restore the three-goal lead on an unassisted goal with 3:07 left, but Grimm netted his third goal with 1:22 remaining to maintain UMBC’s hopes. But the Tar Heels won the ensuing draw and Billy Bitter closed the scoring at the 1:06 mark to seal the win for the hosts.

UNC struck for the game’s first two goals in the first 5:25 of action, but Linkous and freshman attackman Matt Gregoire (Crofton, Md./South River) responded with scores to tie the game at 2-2 with 1:20 to play in the first quarter. But UNC controlled the ensuing face-off and Galasso netted his first goal of the game seven seconds later and the Tar Heels led, 3-2, after 15 minutes.

For the second consecutive game, UMBC was blanked in the second quarter as North Carolina built the lead to 6-2 at intermission. The Tar Heels outshot UMBC, 24-10, in the first half and extended the lead to 9-2 before UMBC made its spirited rally.

UMBC junior goalkeeper Brian McCullough (Garden City, N.Y./Garden City) made a career-high 14 saves, while Madalon stopped 13 in the Tar Heel net. North Carolina outshot UMBC, 48-30, and captured 17 of 26 draws.

Grimm has 15 points in his last four outings and extended his consecutive game scoring streak to eight straight.

The Retrievers return to action on Saturday, March 12 when they face Johns Hopkins in the Konica-Minolta Face-Off Classic. The final game of a triple-header of lacrosse takes place at M&T Bank Stadium at 4:00 p.m.

Second-ranked Stevenson downs Western New England 18-8 in non-league game

MASSAPEQUA, N.Y. – Senior attacker Jimmy Dailey (Westminster, MD) scored five goals as the second-ranked Stevenson (MD) men’s lacrosse team remained unbeaten with an 18-8 victory over Western New England Saturday afternoon (March 5) at John J Burns Park.

Senior attacker Richie Ford (Baltimore, MD) and senior midfielder Kyle Moffitt (Harrisburg, PA) each added four goals for the Mustangs who are now 5-0. Freshman midfielder Tony Rossi (Towson, MD) also had a big game with three goals and three assists.

Moffitt netted two of his goals in the opening period to help give Stevenson a 3-0 lead after the first period. Ford (two goals), Moffitt, and Dailey each tallied goals in the second stanza as the Mustangs took a 7-2 advantage at the break.

Western New England (1-1) cut the margin to four when freshman forward Troy Powell (Ledyard, CT) scored just 1:07 into the third period.

Stevenson broke the game open with seven unanswered goals as Dailey four times times, including twice in a 35-second span late in the quarter to take a 14-4 lead. Rossi also netted a pair of goals in the period.

Senior midfielder Neal Barthelme (Towson, MD) added a goal and assist while freshman defenseman Ryan Rubenstein(Sykesville, MD) had the other goal for the Mustangs.

Senior midfielder Jake Stocksdale (Westminster, MD) chipped-in with an assist. Senior midfielder Ray Witte (Annapolis, MD) picked-up a game-high 10 ground balls and won 14-of-21 face-offs,

Junior goalie Ian Bolland (Mountain Lakes, NJ) had a solid outing allowing only five goals with 12 saves in 53 minutes, 17 seconds. Sophomores Mark Salerno (Huntington, NY) and Pete Wesselman (Charlotte, NC) also saw action in the net.

Eight players scored goals for the Golden Bears with senior attacker Joe O’Keefe (Branford, CT) leading the way with a goal and assist.

Also scoring goals were junior midfielders Chris D’Angelo (Suffield, CT), Andrew Mariani (East Brunswick, NJ) and Patrick White (Milton, MA), sophomore attacker Corrigan Harreys (Deep River, CT), freshman attacker Justin McKinney (Niskayuna, NY), and freshman midfielder Sean Lawton (Abington, MA).

McKinney also had an assist as did senior midfielder Colin Houlihan (Yorktown Heights, NY) and sophomore midfielder Joe Johnson (Boston, MA). Senior midfielder Bill Greider (South Windsor, CT) had seven ground balls. Junior goalie Brewster Knowlton (Somers, CT) stopped 17 shots.

Stevenson had a 52-37 advantage in shots and won 19-of-30 face-offs with Witte taking 14 in 21 attempts.