Now why would I pick “14 points” as the title of today’s return of the wildly popular “Points to Ponder” blog?
14 points? Hmmm…why 14 points?
Could it be the FOURTEEN POINT MARGIN OF VICTORY the Ravens put on the Redskins last night? lol
Yes, I think it is.
Read away, comment if you like…
1. I really think this new Orioles off-season philosophy might be a stroke-of-genius. Let’s not call ANY free agents and act as if we don’t want anyone at all. Maybe that will make the players (and their agents) say, “Hey, I thought Baltimore had a lot of money this off-season…why haven’t they made contact with us? Let’s call THEM and see what they’re up to.” Could just be the kind of outside-the-box thinking that takes the O’s right to the top.
2. Oklahoma 38 – Florida 30. And yes, the best two teams are playing in the BCS title game.
3. Is this guy any relation? I just saw on the wire that the Knicks signed shooting guard Plaxico Burress to a a minimum three-year and a half year sentence contract.
4. Harrison Frazar shot 59 in the 4th round of Q-School on the PGA Tour on Saturday. On a real course…and playing for his 2009 livelihood. The last guy to post 59 at that place (La Quinta) was David Duval. Remember him? He was a player way back when.
5. The AFC playoff race is pretty wild. In for sure: Tennessee, Pittsburgh, Denver and the Ravens. Wild card: New England and Indianapolis. Miami has a very favorable schedule. They could win out too. I think there’s a decent chance that an 11-5 team is going to MISS the post-season. Holy cow.
6. I wrote this a month ago in a “bets I’d make” blog and I’ll say it again: Tennessee and the NY Giants will NOT meet in the Super Bowl. I’d bet on it right now. I’d bet you $500, in fact…if I had a betting addiction, which I’ll bet you a grand that I don’t.
7. I also said this recently and will continue to make this my “early-bird 2009 prediction”. Rex Ryan will be the head coach in San Diego next season.
8. Pretty smart move from Andy Reid a few weeks back when he benched Donovan McNabb for the second half in Baltimore, huh? What a dummy. If they miss the playoffs by a game, Reid will be raked over the coals for sitting his Hall-Of-Very-Good quarterback in a 10-7 game for a scrub who is still looking for his first big win in the NFL. I’d take McNabb on my team any day.
9. Here’s an O’s update for you: ________________________________.
10. Right now, here are my top 3 Ravens’ MVP candidates at the 13-game mark. 3. Derrick Mason 2. Ray Lewis 1. Joe Flacco – But Le’Ron McClain and Ed Reed are both working their way up the charts.
11. Local college hoops power rankings: 5. Coppin St. 4. Loyola 3. Morgan St. 2. UMBC 1. Towson
12. Speaking of college basketball, contrary to what you might have read in yesterday’s edition of The Sun, the final score of the Towson-Hofstra game on Saturday night was 90-79 in favor of the Pride…not 90-70. That’s what you get, I guess, when you don’t send a reporter to the facility to actually COVER the game the way it deserves to be covered.
13. Chris Cosh leaving MD football saved Ralph a “tough talk”. Let’s hope Debbie Yow isn’t preparing for one of those with “The Fridge” sometime in the next couple of years.
14. I’m guessing that Rob Ambrose (currently at UConn) gets the Towson University football coach job.