Thursday Lax: Season Ends for Loyola in ECAC Tournament

May 06, 2011 | WNST Staff

Here is the official release, courtesy of the Sports Information Department…

Loyola Falls To Fairfield In ECAC Semifinals

DENVER – Loyola University Maryland’s Mike Sawyer scored four goals, but Fairfield University defeated the No. 18/16 Greyhounds, 10-9, on Thursday afternoon in the semifinals of the ECAC Lacrosse League Championships at Denver University’s Peter Barton Stadium.

Sawyer scored the game’s opening goal just eight ticks in after John Schiavone won the face-off to himself and fed a waiting Sawyer for a goal.

Fairfield, however, rebounded quickly, as Marshall Johnson tied things up at 1-1 with 9:20 to play in the first quarter, and Brent Adams added the Stags’ second less than two minutes later, giving Fairfield a lead, 2-1.

Sawyer scored on an extra-man possession for the Greyhounds (8-5 overall), off a Chris Basler assist, to tie things up at 2-2 with 3:36 remaining in the first quarter, but Jordan Snellman scored his first of a team-high three goals for Fairfield (8-7) 2:26 into the second period.

Davis Butts scored back-to-back goals for Loyola, the first off a Basler assist on a man-up possession, and Loyola led for the final time, 4-3, with 4:34 to play in the first half.

Snellman tied the game at 4-4 for Fairfield with 2:45 left before halftime, starting a 4-0 Stags run that would put them up 7-4 when Max Trunz scored with 7:38 to go in the third quarter.

Chris Palmer registered the first of two back-to-back goals at 4:01 in the third, and he added the second 1:05 into the fourth quarter to pull Loyola within a goal, 7-6.

Jordan Greenfield, however, pushed the lead back to two, 8-6, 1:40 later.

Sawyer struck again for the Greyhounds, this time off a Pat Byrnes assist, making it a one-goal game once again with 11:09 left in the fourth.

Greenfield and Sam Snow, however, reeled off a pair of Fairfield goals, and the Stags led by three, 10-7 with 7:20 on the clock.

Basler took a Butts pass and scored with 6:21 on the clock, and Sawyer scored off a Palmer assist with 1:34 remaining, but the Greyhounds could not tie for a final time.

Schiavone won the ensuing face-off, but his shot four seconds later was saved by Fairfield’s Charlie Cipriano, and two more Loyola shots went off cage, and Fairfield ran out the clock.

Loyola outshot the Stags, 39-26, and Schiavone had a 17-of-23 afternoon at the face-off ‘X.’