All-around performance paces Loyola to 16-10 win over Lehigh

April 08, 2018 | WNST Staff


BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Pat Spencer had four goals and three assists, tying the Patriot League career assists record in the third quarter, Bailey Savio went 17-of-25 on faceoffs, and the Loyola University Maryland defense held Lehigh University to only six goals in the game’s first 52 minutes as the 12th-ranked Greyhounds beat the No. 15 Mountain Hawks, 16-10, on Saturday at the Ulrich Sports Complex.

Spencer’s final assist of the game was the 142nd of his career, matching the total posted by the U.S. Military Academy’s Tim Pearson from 1999-2002. Spencer’s total have come in only 44 career games.

Savio had his best day at the faceoff dot as a Greyhound, winning 17 times and picking up seven ground balls. His work to gain possession helped Loyola’s defense as it held Lehigh to 19 shots through the first three quarters.

Loyola (7-3 overall, 5-1 Patriot League) scored the game’s first seven goals before the Mountain Hawks (8-4, 5-2) broke through with a transition goal at 3:38 in the second quarter. The Greyhounds would go on to take a 10-1 lead less than four minutes into the second half.

Peter Swindell recorded both of his career-high two goals in the game’s first 13 minutes, and Spencer had a hat trick before the first quarter was over.

The teams combined for three turnovers in the first five minutes with Foster Huggins closing out on Lehigh’s Lucas Spencer to put the ball on the ground and get possession for Loyola at 11:04 in the opening quarter.

Swindell then opened the scoring with 9:55 left in the frame when he ran from ‘X,’ beat his defender underneath got to the doorstep for a goal. Spencer scored 80 seconds later after John Duffy dodged hard from the left side and threw a pass to Spencer rolling the crease for a low shot and goal.

Duffy finished with two goals and two assists for the Greyhounds, totals matched by Aidan Olmstead.

Savio won his third-straight faceoff to start the game after Spencer’s first goal, and Spencer rewarded the Greyhounds by running left-to-right across the box to get his hands free and drill a high-to-high look from 10 yards out at 7:27.

Swindell made it 4-0 Greyhounds with 2:35 to go in the first quarter, catching a pass on the crease that Olmstead threaded through a tight window. Spencer added a fifth Loyola goal 40 ticks of the clock later; he used a swim move to clear his defender 15 yards from the goal before shooting high-to-low to score.

Kevin Lindley made it a six-goal lead 4:37 into the second quarter, catching a Jay Drapeau feed to finish for a goal, and Drapeau then made it 7-0 Greyhounds with 4:50 left in the half off an Olmstead pass.

The Mountain Hawks got on the board with 3:38 to go in the second quarter as Ian Strain threw to Craig Chick at the end of a transition run for a shot and goal from 12 yards out.

Loyola went back up by seven seconds before the end of the first half. Brian Begley caused a Mountain Hawks’ turnover, Foster Huggins picked up the ground ball and the Greyhounds called a timeout with under 20 seconds to go in the half. A Duffy shot went wide with eight ticks left, but Spencer restarted from behind, split-dodged his defender to draw space and threw Lindley a one-timer in front to score with 2.5 seconds left.

Fifty-four seconds after halftime, Duffy scored unassisted with an alley dodge that got him to the crease before he dumped in a shot to the far post.

He was on the assisting end of the Greyhounds’ next goal when he fed Olmstead for a man-up goal at 11:30 that made it 10-1 Loyola.

Lehigh’s Andrew Pettit scored the next two goals to draw the Mountain Hawks within seven, 10-3, at 6:02 in the third quarter, but Loyola reeled off the next four goals.

Olmstead scored off a spencer assist, and Jared Mintzlaff capped a transition run by tallying a goal after catching a Ryan McNulty pass. Duffy added his second of the game with 3:23 left in the third quarter, and Spencer tallied his fourth with a goal at 2:42.

Lehigh pulled back within 10, 14-4, 11 seconds before the end of third quarter as Mickey Fitzpatrick scored on extra-man.

Spencer tied the Patriot League career record 1:25 into the final quarter, feeding P.J. Brown for a 15-yard stepdown goal.

Lehigh then tallied two in a row, the final on a broken play as Pettit picked up a ground ball and scored on the doorstep with 7:47 remaining.

Mike Orefice, however, won the ensuing faceoff for Loyola, ran into the box and bounced home a goal 11 ticks later to put Loyola back up 10, 16-6.

The Mountain Hawks later scored the game’s final four goals as regulation wound down.

Loyola had a 33-30 lead in ground balls, led by Savio’s seven. Olmstead had a career-high five, while Zac Davliakos and McNulty each had four. Begley and Huggins each had three caused turnovers for Loyola.

Jacob Stover played more than 52 minutes in goal, making eight saves for Loyola.

The Greyhounds are back in action on Tuesday, April 10, with their third-straight road game, a non-conference affair in Washington, D.C., at Georgetown University slated for 3 p.m.