Hopkins wilts in second half at Syracuse

March 16, 2013 | WNST Staff

SYRACUSE, NY – Host Syracuse used a 6-0 run in the first quarter and a game-ending 5-1 run to fuel a 13-8 victory over visiting Johns Hopkins in men’s lacrosse action at the Carrier Dome Saturday afternoon. The Orange trailed for just over two minutes early in the game and then took control before holding off a Blue Jay rally that trimmed the five-goal deficit to one early in the third quarter.

Syracause (4-1) got one of the runs its known for early as Luke Cometti answered Holden Cattoni’s game-opening goal and the Orange then scored five goals in a span of just under five minutes to take control and grab all the momentum.

Back-to-back goals by Henry Schoonmaker broke the 1-1 tie and gave SU and 3-1 lead and Hakeem Lecky, Scott Loy and Derek Maltz all added goals before the first quarter was over to make it 6-1.

The Blue Jays halted the run with the first of Wells Stanwick’s three goals on the day, but a Matt Harris goal on a scramble off the ensuing faceoff made it 7-2.

The Blue Jays hopped back in the game by scoring four of the next five goals before halftime to make it 8-6 at the half.

Stanwick’s second of the game with just over nine minutes remaining in the period was followed 24 seconds later by a Lee Coppersmith goal in transition to slice the deficit to 7-4.

Loy’s second of the game pushed the lead back to four for the Orange, but junior Rex Sanders and Stanwick struck late in the quarter to account for the 8-6 halftime score.

The Blue Jays, who fought through nine first-half turnovers and were 2-for-2 with the extra-man in the opening 30 minutes, trimmed the deficit to 8-7 less than three minutes into the third quarter when freshman Ryan Brown notched his eighth goal of the season with an extra-man strike.

Johns Hopkins won the ensuing faceoff after Brown’s goal, but a turnover led to Lecky’s second of the game to give the Orange a two-goal lead again.

Senior goalie Pierce Bassett made two point-blank saves to keep it a two-goal game over the next six minutes, but Syracuse worked Loy free along the goal line with 5:25 remaining and he beat Bassett on the doorstep to extend the lead to 10-7 before Loy added his third in the final two minutes of the quarter to make it 11-7.

Junior Brandon Benn scooped up a loose ball in front of the goal and fired into an open net less than two minutes into the fourth quarter, but Matt Pratt answered less than a minute later and a Dylan Donahue goal closed out the scoring 10 minutes later for the Orange.

Loy led the Orange with three goals, while Schoonmaker added two goals and one assist for SU, which outshot the Blue Jays 39-29.

Stanwick paced the Blue Jays with his third straight four-point game on three goals and one assist, but no other Blue Jay posted more than one point on the day. Bassett posted 11 saves in goal for JHU and senior Mike Poppleton won 14-of-23 faceoffs and grabbed seven ground balls, but the Blue Jays’ 17 turnovers and SU’s hot shooting in the first quarter (6-of-11) was more than JHU could overcome.

Johns Hopkins will return to action next Saturday when the Blue Jays play Virginia in the second game of the Konica Minolta Faceoff Classic at Baltimore’s M&T Bank Stadium.

#4 Johns Hopkins (5-2) 1-5-1-1/8
#11 Syracuse (4-1) 6-2-3-2/13

GoalsJ: Stanwick-3, Sanders, Benn, Brown, Cattoni, Coppersmith. S: Loy-3, Schoonmaker-2, Lecky-2, Cometti, Maltz, Ward, Donahue, Harris, Pratt. AssistsJ: Greeley, Stanwick. S: Marasco-3, Barber, Cometti, Donahue, Maltz, Schoonmaker, Ward. SavesJ: Bassett-11, Schneider-0. S: Wardwell-3, Lamolinara-5. Shots: J-29. S-39.EMOJ: -3-for-6. S: 0-for-4. Attendance: 6,292.