Loyola uses big runs to crush Hobart

April 20, 2013 | WNST Staff

GENEVA, N.Y. – Loyola University Maryland men’s lacrosse used runs of six and seven unanswered goals to win its ECAC Lacrosse League regular-season finale on Saturday, 19-11, at host Hobart College.


Loyola (10-3 overall, 6-1 ECAC) scored the first six goals of the game, and after Hobart (6-7, 2-4) reeled off the next five, the Greyhounds strung together a 7-0 run that spanned both halves to take control of the game.


The Greyhounds’ starting attack of Mike Sawyer (four goals, two assists), Zach Herreweyers (three, two) and Justin Ward (three, one) combined to score 10 goals and finish with 15 points, and Loyola’s defensive midfield tallied four goals and two assists. Scott Ratliff recorded a pair of goals and an assist, while Josh Hawkins carded his third-straight two-goal game. Kyle Duffy added an assist for Loyola.


Ratliff also led the Greyhounds with seven ground balls and three caused turnovers.


It took Loyola just 150 seconds to score its first three goals of the game. Herreweyers scored the first and drew a slash on Hobart, giving a man-up opportunity on which Sean O’Sullivan scored from at 13:05.


A Sawyer shot was saved, but Ward picked up the ground ball and scored his first of the game at 12:30 to put Loyola in front, 3-0.


Loyola did not score for nearly nine minutes, but it was Ward again who scored for Loyola at 3:50. More than a minute later, O’Sullivan ran right-to-left and dumped a pass to Davis Butts who used a face-dodge to beat his defender and score from seven yards out at 2:12.


Ward then tallied his third of the quarter, taking a Harry Kutner feed to score on an extra-man opportunity at 1:23, pushing the Greyhounds’ advantage to 6-0 before the end of the first quarter.


Hobart, however, controlled possession early in the second frame and scored five-straight goals in a span of less than 10 minutes.


Cam Stone put the first point on the board at 14:09, and Branden Kessler made it 6-2 at 11:36. Jake McHenry shoveled in a loose ball from just outside the crease at 10:59 before Alex Love scored back-to-back goals for the Statesmen at 8:19 and 4:24.


Love’s final goal cut the Greyhounds’ lead to 6-5, but a Jack Runkel save started a transition opportunity for Loyola, and Sawyer fed Ratliff for his first goal of the game at 3:18.


Ratliff’s first sparked a 7-0 run that would see Loyola go up 10-5 at the half and 13-5 late in the third quarter.


Sawyer scored his first of the game shortly after Ratliff’s goal, taking a Ward feed from behind for a high-to-low shot, and he scored his second with 39.7 ticks left in the first half after Ward shot a pass out to Herreweyers on the top right, and the freshman quickly got a pass to Sawyer for a goal.


After scoring the first goal of the first half, Herreweyers repeated the feat in the second, scoring at 11:56 off a Sawyer assist, and Sawyer scored his second of the day, in transition 15 seconds later after a give-and-go with Ratliff.


Ratliff caused a turnover and executed a clear with Duffy, taking a pass and scoring at 6:50 to put Loyola up 12-5, and Hawkins capped the run with a goal at 4:38. He used a fake-flip to Sawyer, keeping the ball while running in from the left to score.


Hobart got a pair of goals back at 3:29 and 3:08 as McHenry scored on a man-up possession, and Jake Silberlicht tallied his first of two.


Loyola returned to the scoring column with 2:29 left in the third quarter when Butts raced past his man on the right side and fed O’Sullivan who scored his second of the game.


Love bounced a goal in with just over 32 seconds left in the third quarter, pulling the Statesmen within six, 14-8, entering the final quarter.


The Greyhounds stretched their advantage back to seven 3:11 into the fourth quarter when Herreweyers came up with a groundball in an unsettled situation behind the cage and fed Sawyer who whipped a 13-yard sidearm shot for his game-high fourth goal.


Silberlicht scored one for Hobart at 8:58 before Herreweyers caught a hard Nikko Pontrello pass and used a multiple shot-fake to score his third of the afternoon.


Loyola scored two goals with the 30-second timer on, wrapped around a Hobart goal. Kevin Ryan scored unassisted at 5:20, and Chris Layne used a Brian Schultz in-stride feed to tally one at 2:26.


After the Greyhounds killed a penalty late, Hawkins tallied his second after caused turnover by Joe Fletcher. Patrick Fanshaw assisted on the Hawkins’ score.


Loyola outshot Hobart, 49-35, and the Greyhounds cleared the ball successfully in all 27 of their attempts.


Jack Runkel made 10 saves in three quarter of action in goal for the Greyhounds, allowing eight goals. Pat Frazier caused a career-high three turnovers, while Fletcher and Hawkins each caused two.


The Greyhounds close the 2013 regular-season on Saturday, April 27, at 1 p.m. when they travel down Charles Street to face Johns Hopkins University.