|Game 5||Navy (2-2, 0-0 PL) at Bucknell (2-1, 0-0 PL)|
|Date and Faceoff||March 2 at 1:00 pm ET|
|Location||Lewisburg, Pa. | Christy Mathewson Stadium (13,100)|
• Looking to bounce back after dropping a pair of one-goal decisions a week ago, the Navy men’s lacrosse team (2-2) will travel to Lewisburg, Pa. on Saturday to face Bucknell (2-1) in both teams’ Patriot League opener … the 13th edition of the Navy-Bucknell series is set for a 1:00 pm faceoff at Christy Mathewson Stadium.
• After leading by as many as three goals, Navy’s offense sputtered in the middle portion of the game to open the door to a rallying Georgetown squad. After the Mids took an 8-7 lead with 2:54 to go in regulation, Georgetown answered with a goal 32 seconds later to send the game into overtime where Jeff Fountain notched the game winner.
• While Navy has lost two games by a combined two goals, Bucknell enters the weekend with a 2-1 record winning the two games by a combined three goals including a 10-8 win over Bryant last weekend.
A Win over Bucknell would …
• give Navy a 3-2 start for the first time since 2009 when the Mids began the year 6-2.
• snap a 2-game skid against the Bison.
• give Navy an 8-5 series advantage and would tie the series in games played in Lewisburg at 3-3.
• give Navy head coach Rick Sowell his first win over Bucknell as a head coach … he is 0-1 against the Bison.
• give Rick Sowell a 95-89 career record and a 9-8 mark at Navy.
• push Navy’s all-time record to 759-316-14.
• give the Mids a 6-4 all-time record in Patriot League openers, including a 2-3 mark against Bucknell in openers.
• be Navy’s first win in a Patriot League opener since beating Lehigh, 8-3, in 2010.
Scouting the Bison
• Eighth-year Bucknell head coach Frank Fedorjaka has the Bison off to a 2-1 start, winning their two games against Delaware and Bryant by a combine three goals while dropping a one-goal decision to Mount St. Mary’s.
• Bucknell came from two goals behind in the fourth quarter to defeat Delaware. Freshman midfielder Thomas Flibotte scored the game-winner with 3:30 to go.
• Ironically, Bucknell owned a two-goal decision over Mount St. Mary’s in the fourth, but gave up two goals in the final 1:35 to suffer its lone loss (12-11) of the season.
• A five-goal second quarter helped Bucknell build an 8-4 halftime lead over Bryant, one it would not relinquich.
• Bucknell has seven returning starters on its roster, including senior goalkeeper Kyle Feeney who owns a 9.23 goals-against average and a 50.0 save percentage.
• Leading the way offensively for the Bison are senior attackman Chase Bailey, second-year midfielder David Dickson and junior attackman Todd Heritage. Bailey and and Dickson are atop the scoring leader board with 10 points. Bailey has six goals and four assists, while all 10 of Dickson’s points have come off assists. Dickson stands sixth in the country averaging 3.33 assists per game. Heritage, meanwhile, has punched in a team-best eight goals including three on extra-man.
• Junior Jackson Place garnered Patriot League Defensive Player of the Week honors on Monday after producing a career-high six caused turnovers. The starting close defenseman has seven on the year.
• Rookie long pole Alex Spring has been stout, pacing the team with 14 ground balls.
• Bucknell enters the weekend ranked No. 1 in the country in turnovers per game, giving up 11.00. The Bison are fifth nationally in caused turnovers, knocking away 11 per game.
• The two areas Bucknell has struggled at the most this season are faceoffs and saves per game.
• The Bison have yet to decide on a faceoff man, spreading the draws between Gavin Sullivan (9-25), Ryan Gutowski (8-22) and Eric Monfort (8-18). As a team, the Bison have won just 37.9 percent (25-66) of their draws and stand 56th among 62 teams in the country .
• Bucknell is ranked 56th in saves per game, averaging just 8.67.
Navy vs. Bucknell – The Series
• Saturday’s contest between Navy and Bucknell marks the 13th game in a series that began in 1996 …Bucknell has won three of the last five, including each of the last two.
• Navy had won three straight in the series before rookie Charlie Streep’s goal as time expired snapped the Mids’ winning streak in 2009 during the regular season.
• However, the Mids got sweet revenge on Bucknell’s home field when they scored a 9-8 win in the 2009 Patriot League Championship Game to earn an automatic bid to play in the NCAA Tournament.
• Seven of the 12 games in the series have been decided by one goal, including five of the last six … three of the seven one-goal contests have entered into extra minutes, including two of hte last three … in 2010, midfielder Patrick Moranstuck his shot 1:20 into overtime to lead the Mids to an 8-7 OT win … meanwhile, in 2011 Navy scored four goals in the fourth, including a pair by Nikk Davis in the final 18 seconds of the game to send it into overtime … rookie Todd Heritage, however, found an opening and scored the game-winner for the Bison.
• Bucknell holds a 3-2 advantage in games played in Lewisburg.
• Last year the Bison dealt the Mids their worst loss in series history, beating Navy, 14-9, on its home field. The 14 goals by Bucknell were the most scored by the Bison in the 12-game history (previously 12 in the 2011 double-overtime win), while the five-goal difference marked the largest margin of victory by either team in the series since Navy scored an 11-5 win over the Bison on March 13, 2004.
Taking the Field In …
10 Navy has lost just five games (53-5) when scoring 10 or more goals since the start of the 2004 season … Navy was 5-0 last season when reaching 10 goals and is 2-0 in 2013.
9 Navy has lost nine straight games when giving up between 8-10 goals to its opponents … the winner of each of the last five Navy-Bucknell games has had to score at least 8 goals for the victory.
8 Junior Sam Jones paced Navy with 3 goals in its overtime loss to Georgetown last Sunday … it marked his eighth collegiate hat trick.
7 Juniors Pat Durkin and Sam Jones head into the Bucknell game riding 7-game point scoring streaks. Durkin has scored a goal in each of the 7 games.
6 Six of Navy’s 2013 opponents are either ranked or receiving votes in the 2012 USILA Coaches Preseason Poll – #1 Maryland, #3 Johns Hopkins, #11 Colgate, #13 Fairfield and #17 Lehigh, while Bucknell is receiving votes.
5 Saturday’s contest marks the fifth time in Navy’s 10 years as a member of the Patriot League that it will open up conference play against Bucknell … the Bison have won three of the four previous openers against the Mids.
4 Sophomore Gabe Voumard punched in a career-high 4 goals at Fairfield a week ago marking his first collegiate hat trick. Last we he contributed 5 goals and 2 assists for 7 points.
3 Junior attackman Tucker Hull needs 3 points to become only the 30th player in program history to score 100 points during their career … the last player in was Andy Warner, who scored 101 points from 2008-11.
2 Junior Tucker Hull has been held without a point in just 2 of the 29 games he has played at Navy.
1 Over the last six seasons, 26 (10-16) of the Mids’ 76 contests have been decided by one goal … the Mids are 0-2 this season in one-goal contests.
• A goal by Jeff Fountain scored 2:56 into overtime led Georgetown to a 9-8 overtime victory over the Mids last Sunday in Washington, D.C.
• Five of the last six meetings between the Mids and Hoyas have been decided by one goal and all five have been in favor of Georgetown. Meanwhile, three of the last five matchups have been decided in overtime, however, this marked the first in Washington, D.C..
• Navy held a 3-goal advantage in with 6:45 remaining in the second quarter but was held to just one goal over the next 17 minutes, giving way to the Hoyas to work their way back into the game.
• Georgetown led twice in the game, scoring the first goal just seven seconds into the contest and the final goal. In between, there were five ties, including three in the final quarter of play.
• Goals by Pat Durkin, Tucker Hull and Sam Jones extended point scoring streaks for the trio … Durkin and Jones own a team-best seven straight games with a point, while Hull is riding a five-game streak with assists in each of those games. Durkin, meanwhile, has punched in a goal in each of the last seven contests.
• Junior attackman Tucker Hull dealt out an assist to go along with his goal, moving into a tie for 18th on the Mids’ all-time career assists list with 45.
• Senior team captain Nolan Hickey played a solid game between the pipes that featured a second consecutive career-high 15-save performance. He also recorded his best single-game save percentage at 62.5 percent.
• After being held scoreless in the opener, Gabe Voumard has produced 8 points on 6 goals and 2 assists in the last 3 games, including 1 goal and 2 assists against Georgetown. All 6 of his goals this season have been unassisted.
• Senior faceoff specialist Evan McGoogan moved into 16th place on the Mids’ all-time faceoff wins list after taking 6 of the 16 draws against the Hoyas. He owns 58 career wins.
• Navy’s man-down unit continues to flourish … the Mids were flagged twice against the Hoyas, but held firm … on the year, Navy has surrendered just two goals on 22 man-up opportunities by its opponents and is ranked 8th nationally (.091).
• Navy was outshot (33-30) and outground balled (39-32) for the first time this season.
• Navy had won seven in a row when leading after three quarters of play. Under Rick Sowell, the Mids are 8-2 when going into the final quarter with the lead. In addition to Georgetown, North Carolina is the only other team to overcome a third quarter deficit and win under Sowell’s direction.
Hull Approaches Century Mark
• Navy junior attackman Tucker Hull led Navy in scoring in each of his first two seasons and is once again atop the leader board this season with 12 points on 6 goals and 6 assists.
• As a rookie, he and classmate Sam Jones anchored an offense with 38 points on 23 goals and 15 assists. Last season, Hull produced 47 points on 23 goals and 24 assists.
• Hull is the Mids’ first 40-point scorer since Nick Mirabito turned in 46 points on 23 goals and 23 assists in 2008 … it’s the most points scored by a Navy player since 2006 when Jon Birsner dealt out 36 assists en route to his 54-point effort.
• Hull is only 3 points shy of joining Navy’s elite list of 100-point scorers, while Jones is 20 points away from 100 … there are just 29 current members of the group with the last player, Andy Warner, joining the list in 2011 with 101-career points.
• With his 3 assists against Detroit, Hull joined the Mids’ all-time career assists list … he produced his 45th career assist at Georgetown to tie Bruce Seitz (1980-83) and Eddie McKinnon (1999-02) for 18th on the list … he needs 1 to tie 17th-place Owen McFadden (1964-66).
Patriot League Success
• Since joining the Patriot League in 2004, Navy is 52-16 (74.5) against conference members, which includes an 11-2 mark in the Patriot League Tournament … the Mids are 41-13 in regular-season action.
• The Mids have lost regular-season contests to …
Army (3) 2008, ‘10, ‘11, ‘12
Bucknell (4) 2005, ‘09, ‘11, ‘12
Colgate (3) 2006, ‘09, ‘11
Lafayette (1) 2010
Lehigh (2) 2011, ‘12
… and dropped the program’s first Patriot League Tournament contest at the 2008 semifinals against eventual champion Colgate and its second to Army in the 2010 championship contest.
• Eleven of the 16 losses were in games played either at the opponent’s field or at a neutral site.
• Navy owns a 24-5 record at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium against Patriot League competition since joining the conference in 2004 … the Mids are 18-5 during the regular season.
• The Mids have produced undefeated marks in conference action twice, 7-0 in 2004 and 6-0 in ‘07.
• Navy has won at least a share of the Patriot League regular-season title in five (2004-05-06-07-08) of the nine years it has been a member of the league.
• Additionally, the Mids have claimed the league’s tournament crown five times (2004-05-06-07-09).
• 31 different Mids have garnered All-Patriot League recognition, while 19 of the 31 have earned honors multiple times.