|2014 Navy Men’s Lacrosse Game Specifics|
|Game 5||Navy (2-2, 1-1 PL) vs. Lafayette (1-3, 1-1 PL)|
|Date and Faceoff||March 7 at 7:00 pm ET|
|Location||Annapolis, Md. | Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium (34,000)|
• The Navy men’s lacrosse team (2-2, 1-1 Patriot League) seeks its second Patriot League victory of the season when the Mids play host to Lafayette (1-3, 1-1 PL) Friday evening. The 16th edition of the Navy-Lafayette series is set for a 7:00 pm faceoff at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium.
• The game will be streamed online for FREE via PatriotLeague.TV and NavySports.com. Live stats will also be available at NavySports.com.
• The Mids are coming off an historical victory over Holy Cross at home last Saturday. After Holy Cross trimmed Navy’s lead to one (4-3) midway through the second quarter, the Mids used a 9-0 run to blow the game open and eventually deliver Holy Cross a 21-12 loss. Navy’s starting attack combined to score 14 of the 21 goals for the Mids.
• Despite an 8-7 win over conference foe Colgate, Lafayette was unable to bottle up the momentum and instead have been on the short end of its last two games against Army (8-6) and Delaware (9-6). The Leopards and Blue Hens were knotted up (4-4) at the half, but Delaware outscored Lafayette 5-2 in the second half to cruise to the victory on Tuesday.
Taking the Field In …
10 – Navy has lost just five games (56-5) when scoring 10 or more goals since the start of the 2004 season … Navy is 10-0 under Sowell when scoring 10 or more goals (5-0 in 2012, 3-0 in 2013, 2-0 in 2014).
9 – Brady Dove needs 9 faceoff wins to tie record holder Mike Haertel (1997) for most wins by a freshman in program history with 64.
8 – Navy senior Tucker Hull has scored a combined 8 goals in the three previous games he has played against Lafayette.
7 – Hull has scored a point in each of the last 7 contests … the last time he did not score was against Lehigh on March 30, 2013. Fellow attack T.J. Hanzsche owns Navy’s longest point and goal-scoring streak, having posted a point in 10 straight games.
6 – Hanzsche scored a career-high 6 goals against Holy Cross last Saturday. It’s the most scored by a Navy player since Tucker Hull scored 6 against VMI on Feb. 11, 2012.
5 – Third-year Navy head coach Rick Sowell is 5-1 all-time against Lafayette, including a 2-0 mark as the Mids’ head coach.
4 – Friday marks Navys 4th home game this season. The last time Navy played 4 of its first 5 games at home was in 2010 when the Mids faced VMI (W, 16-5), Loyola (L, 8-7 OT), North Carolina (L, 11-4) and Bucknell (W, 8-7) at home with a trip to Lehigh (W, 8-3) prior to Bucknell.
3 – Sowell is 3 wins from earning his 100th collegiate victory. He owns a 97-99 record in 15 years as a head coach.
2 – Navy senior attack Sam Jones (74G, 48A) needs 2 assists to become just the seventh active player in DI lacrosse to have 60 career goals and 50 career assists. ClassmateTucker Hull is one of the active six to have achieved this with 66 goals and 51 assists.
1 – Co-captain Pat Kiernan needs just 1 ground ball to move into 10th on Navy’s all-time ground balls leader board … he owns 154.
Scouting the Leopards
• Second-year head coach Jim Rogalski has his Lafayette Leopards nipping at the heels of some of the better programs in DI lacrosse this season. While the Leopards are 1-3 on the year, they’ve lost their last two games by two goals each.
• Lafayette’s lone win of the year was an 8-7 victory over Colgate, while its losses have been against Stony Brook (18-10), Army (8-6) and Delaware (9-6).
• The attack combo of Brian Bock and Sonny Round has led the way, as the two have produced a team-best 8 points. Bock has produced a team-high 7 goals and 1 assist, while Round has posted 3 goals and a team-high 5 assists. Sophomore Robert Orazietti and middie Morgan Westby have also contributed four goals.
• Lafayette has had to rely upon a stiff defense to provide the offense an opportunity to possess the ball. The Leopards are 66th among the 67 teams in DI lacrosse in faceoff winning percentage, winning just 27.1 percent of their draws. Sophomore Adam Broeckaert is 13 for 53 (.245) and rookie Erik Cannon is 10 for 29 (.345).
• Senior Jake Hyatt has been a mainstay in goal for the Leopards with an 11.14 goals-against average and a 54.3 save percentage. Hyatt’s 12.67 saves per game average stands 10th nationally. However, sophomore Ben Falcone made the start Tuesday against Delaware where he surrendered 9 goals and made just 6 saves.
Navy vs. Lafayette – The Series
• Friday’s contest marks the 16th meeting between the two programs, and the 12th since the Midshipmen joined the Patriot League in 2004. Navy leads the series, 14-1.
• The two teams first met in 1926 with Navy earning a 23-0 win … Navy and Lafayette battled one another three times between 1929-31 … the 1931 contest was the last time the two programs had met before the Mids joined the Patriot League.
• The Mids won 10 straight against the Leopards before dropping the program’s only loss to Lafayette on March 12, 2010 in Easton.
• Navy has scored double digits in 12 of the 15 games, while the Mids have held Lafayette to single digits 13 times.
• In the 15-game history, the Mids have outscored the Leopards, 192-75 … since joining the league in `04, Navy has outscored Lafayette, 128-74.
• The Mids are coming off an historical victory over Holy Cross at home last Saturday. After Holy Cross trimmed Navy’s lead to one (4-3) midway through the second quarter, the Mids used a 9-0 run to blow the game open and eventually deliver Holy Cross a 21-12 loss.
• Navy has now won 10 of the 11 games played in the series, including all 5 played in Annapolis.
• The 21 goals were the most scored by Navy since it dealt Holy Cross a 23-5 loss on April 18, 2004. The nine-goal victory marked its largest margin of victory over a Patriot League team since its 12-3 win over the Crusaders in 2010. Meanwhile, the 33 combined goals are the most since second-ranked Virginia delivered a 24-13 blow to the Mids in Charlottesville on March 4, 1995.
• Navy’s starting attack combined to score 14 of the 21 goals for the Mids, including 6 byT.J. Hanzsche. The six goals are the most scored by a Navy player since Tucker Hullscored six against VMI on Feb. 11, 2012.
• Hazsche, Hull and Taylor Harris (2006) are the only three Navy players to score six or more goals in a game since the beginning of the 1991 campaign.
• It’s also tied as the most goals scored by a Navy player in a Patriot League game since the Mids joined the league in 2004.
• Fellow attack Sam Jones turned in a career-high tying 5 goals, while Hull chipped in three goals.
• Attack men T.J. Hanzsche and Tucker Hull extended their point scoring streaks. Hanzsche owns a team-best 10-game point and goal-scoring streak, while Hull has produced a point in 7 straight games. Hull’s consecutive games with an assist streak came to an end, however, at 4.
• Midfielder Gabe Voumard and attack Patrick Keena both produced career highs in points with four apiece.
• Freshman midfielder Colin Flounlacker scored his first collegiate goal.
• Freshman faceoff specialist Brady Dove won 19 of the 34 draws against Holy Cross. The 19 wins by Dove tied as the third most in program history, just one off the record set in 1995 and later tied in 2004. It’s the most wins since Logan West won 19 against Bucknell on March 3, 2012. The 34 attempts are the most in school history, improving upon the previous mark of 32 set by Dan Sullivan (twice) in 1995.
• Navy used a 7-0 run in a nine-goal quarter to end the first half of the game with an 11-3 lead. The last time Navy scored nine goals in a quarter was in its 23-5 win over Holy Cross in 2004 when the Mids scored nine goals not once, but twice in the game (first and third quarters).