|2014 Navy Men’s Lacrosse Game Specifics|
|Game 8||Navy (3-4, 2-2 PL) vs. Colgate (6-2, 2-1 PL)|
|Date and Faceoff||March 22 at 12:00 pm ET|
|Location||Annapolis, Md. | Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium (34,000)|
• After playing its last two games on the road, the Navy men’s lacrosse team (3-4, 2-2 Patriot League) returns home Saturday to battle conference foe Colgate (6-2, 2-1 PL). Faceoff is slated for 12:00 pm at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium.
• The game will be streamed online for FREE via PatriotLeague.TV and NavySports.com. Live stats will also be available at NavySports.com.
• The Mids’ struggles with road play continued last week with a pair of road losses to Towson (14-9) and Lehigh (13-2). Sophomore attack T.J. Hanzsche handled the highlights for the Mids, scoring both of the Mids’ goals as he pushed his consecutives games with a point (and goal) to 12.
• Colgate is coming off a 15-10 loss against No. 4 Cornell this past Tuesday, snapping a four-game winning streak by the Raiders. Colgate won those four games (Bucknell, Hobart, Boston U. and Binghamton) by a combined of six goals.
Meet the Mids Set for Saturday
• Navy will hold its annual Meet the Mids event following its game against Colgate on Saturday.
• Members of the Navy men’s lacrosse team will be available for autographs on the Blue Concourse, with the first 300 kids in line for the postgame autograph session receiving a Navy lacrosse “Meet the Mids” t-shirt, compliments of Annapolis area Papa John’s and Chick-fil-A.
• For more information on the event or to purchase tickets, call 1-800-US4-NAVY or visit NavySports.com(.)
Taking the Field In …
10 – Navy has lost just five games (57-5) when scoring 10 or more goals since the start of the 2004 season … Navy is 11-0 under Sowell when scoring 10 or more goals (5-0 in 2012, 3-0 in 2013, 3-0 in 2014).
9 – The Mids have reached double digits in 9 of the 16 games they have played against Colgate, winning all 9 of the games.
8 – Navy is 8-6 under third-year head coach Rick Sowell when leading after the first quarter of play. The Mids have held the lead after the first 15 minutes of action if 5 of their 7 games this season and own a 3-2 mark in those contests.
7 – Among starting attack Sam Jones’ 15 goals this season, 7 have been unassisted. As a team, 31 of Navy’s 75 goals (41.3) have been unassisted.
6 – Freshman faceoff specialist Brady Dove, who is Navy’s all-time freshman faceoff wins leader, needs 6 wins on Saturday to become just the 14th player in school history to win 100 draws over the span of a career.
5 – Senior midfielder Pat Durkin has scored 5 goals this season and all 5 have been scored at home.
4 – Senior attack Tucker Hull needs 4 goals to join Navy’s all-time goals scored list with 73. He would also join teammate Sam Jones as one of just nine active NCAA players to score 70 plus goals and register 50 assists.
3 – Jones needs just 3 points to become only the seventh player in school history to reach the 30-point milestone in each of his four seasons and the first sinceNick Mirabito (2005-08).
2 – Sowell is 2 wins from earning his 100th collegiate victory. He owns a 98-99 record in 15 years as a head coach.
1 – Navy senior long pole Pat Kiernan stands No. 1 on Navy’s career caused turnovers list with61 over his four year career. He leads Navy this season with 10 takeaways.
Scouting the Raiders
• In his third season as head coach at Colgate, Mike Murphy has led the Raiders to a 6-2 mark winning four in a row prior to Tuesday night’s 15-10 loss to fourth-ranked Cornell. In addition to the loss again The Big Red, Colgate dropped an 8-7 decision to Lafayette in its Patriot League opener on Feb. 22.
• Colgate owns a 2-1 Patriot League mark, picking up wins over Bucknell (9-8) and Boston U. (7-5), while stumbling against Lafayette (8-7).
• Anchoring the Colgate offense is junior All-Patriot League attackman Ryan Walsh who has posted 28 points on 18 goals and 10 assists. He enters today’s game boasting a 41-game point-scoring streak which is the fourth longest behind Duke’s Jordan Wolf (48), St. John’s Kieran McArdle (44) and Albany’s Miles Thompson (41). Thirteen (8-5) of Walsh’s 28 points have been scored in Patriot League contests.
• Four other players have turned in 10 points or more this season, including sophomore attack Kevin Adams whose 15 points have been scored off goals, while senior attack Brendon McCann has split his gave evenly with 17 points on 10 goals and 7 assists. McCann is coming off a 3-goal, 1-assist performance against Cornell.
• The Raiders have relied upon the play of freshman Brandon Burke in goal to lead the defense. Burke owns a 7.07 goals-against average and a 57.6 save percentage. Prior to Tuesday’s game against Coglate where he surrendered 15 goals and made 10 saves, Burke had been ranked fifth nationally in saves per game (9.43) and was No. 2 in GAA, giving up 5.93 goals per game. In his three Patriot League appearances, he has posted a 7.00 GAA and a 56.2 save percentage.
• Junior middie Alex Kinnealey has been strong at the faceoff position, winning 61.3 percent (84-137) of the draws he has taken this season, including 59.6 percent (31-52) in conference play. Going into the Cornell game, he stood 10th nationally in faceoff winning percentage (62.7). Additionally, he paces the team with 50 ground balls.
• All-league defenseman Bobby Lawrence has been stellar in his senior season, producing a team-best 17 caused turnovers. He is ranked 11th nationally in caused turnovers per game (2.1).
Navy vs. Colgate – The Series
• Navy leads the all-time series with Colgate, 11-5, including wins in 3 of the last 5 contests.
• The two teams have met 14 times since the Midshipmen joined the Patriot League in 2004. During that span, Navy has produced a 9-5 record and outscored Colgate, 144-111.
• Five of the last six contests between the two programs has been decided by one goal, including the 2012 contest in which Navy’s Sam Jones targeted a shot with 3.4 seconds remaining in the game to lead the Mids to a 12-11 victory.
• Today’s contest marks the eighth game played in Annapolis with Navy holding a 5-2 advantage. Colgate has won each of the last two games played at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium, scoring a 10-9 win in 2009 and a 5-4 decision in 2011.
• Navy and Colgate have twice faced one another in the Patriot League Tournament and have been met with split results. In 2007, the Mids claimed a 15-9 win over the Raiders in the championship game, before dropping the program’s first Patriot League Tournament contest at the 2008 semifinals against eventual champion Colgate.
Kiernan Among Nation’s Top Poles
• Senior long stick defensive midfielder Pat Kiernan is one of the best at his position in the country.
• Kiernan, a 2014 Preseason All-American, was among the national leaders in both caused turnovers (12th, 2.00) and ground balls (32nd, 5.23) last season.
• He is Navy’s record holder for career caused turnovers (61), a stat introduced in 2009. With 26 caused turnovers last season, he finished the year ranked No. 3 on the Mids’ single-season list. He is also ranked ninth (14, 2012) and tied for 13th (11, 2011) on the chart.
• He is tied with ninth-place Matt Russell (2003-06) on the career ground balls list with 159, trailing eighth-place Chad Donnelly who posted 172 from 1997-2000. Meanwhile, he turned in 68 grounders last spring to etch his name in at ninth on the Mids’ single-season chart. It’s the most ground balls by a Navy player since 2008 when draw specialist Mikelis Visgauss grabbed 80.
• He is also 19th on the Mids’ career faceoff wins list, winning 24 of the 54 draws (44.4) he has taken.
• Kiernan has produced 13 career points, including a program-record 10 in 2012.
• He is tied for seventh in the country among active poles with 13 points.
• Kiernan is tied as the all-time leader in career points scored by a Navy defensemen, while his 10 goals are the most at Navy.