Remarkable Towson Rally Ends in 2OT Win at Hofstra

April 01, 2012 | WNST Staff


Justin Mabus Scores Game-Winner With 38 Seconds Left In Second Overtime

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. – Freshman Justin Mabus scored the game-winning goal off a pass from senior Matt Lamon with 38 seconds left in the second overtime period as Towson University (7-3, 2-0) pulled off a stunning 10-9 Colonial Athletic Association comeback victory over No. 20 Hofstra University (4-5, 1-2) at Shuart Stadium on Saturday night.

The Tigers’ victory capped off a frantic rally in which they erased a 9-3 deficit in the final 11:27 of the game.

In the second overtime period, the Tigers received a great opportunity to win when senior Mike DeNapoli of Hofstra was called for two penalties, an illegal cross-check and an unsportsmanlike conduct. That gave the Tigers a man-advantage for two minutes. After the Tigers missed their first two shots, Mabus drilled an eight-yard shot from the right side, giving the Tigers a win in a game in which they trailed by six goals.

“This team never gives up,” said Towson Coach Shawn Nadelen. “Even though we were down by six goals, we just kept playing hard. We got some momentum and we kept winning faceoffs. The closer we got, the more excited we became.”

The win enabled the Tigers to extend their winning streak to four games as they moved into sole possession of first place in the CAA. It also ended the Tigers’ four-game losing streak to the Pride and was Towson’s first win at Hofstra since 2004.

Trailing by 9-3 with 11:27 remaining, the Tigers pulled off a dramatic rally scoring the final six goals of regulation to send the game into overtime.

The Tiger offense came to life with 11:27 remaining and scored three goals over the next 3:09, cutting their deficit to 9-6. After Thomas DeNapoli scored off a pass from senior Carl Iacona, the Tigers were presented with their first extra-man opportunity of the night. With 9:35 remaining, senior Michael Brashears scored an extra-man goal off a pass from Thomas DeNapoli to cut the deficit to 9-5. Senior Matt Lamon scored off a pass from Thomas DeNapoli with 8:18 remaining to pull the Tigers to within 9-6.

Over the next few minutes, Hofstra successfully ran time off the clock. With 2:58 left, the Tigers pulled to within 9-7 when senior Sean Maguire scored off a pass from Matt Hughes. Junior Ian Mills won the faceoff to give the Tigers a chance to pull closer.

With 2:03 left in regulation, Lamon picked up a loose ball in front of the cage and fired a shot into the goal, pulling the Tigers to within a goal, making it a 9-8 game.

Mills won another faceoff and the Tigers had a chance to tie the game. With two seconds remaining, Thomas DeNapoli broke free on the left side and scored the game-tying goal.

It was his third goal of the game, setting a career high.

“I knew Thomas would have a big game,” said Nadelen. “He was really focused and very determined.”

Hofstra dominated play for the first 49 minutes and looked to be on its way to a comfortable win.

Junior Adrian Sorchetti gave Hofstra a very quick 1-0 lead when he scored an unassisted goal just 51 seconds into the game. After Mills won the ensuing faceoff, Thomas DeNapoli tied the game on the Tigers’ first shot as he scored with 13:20 left in the first quarter.

With 5:46 remaining in the first quarter, Mike DeNapoli, the cousin of Thomas, scored an unassisted goal to put Hofstra ahead, 2-1.

The Pride dominated play in the first quarter, enjoying a 12-4 advantage on shots. However, junior goalkeeper Andrew Wascavage did a great job keeping the Tigers in the game as he made five saves in the opening period.

With 8:23 left in the first half, the Tigers ended a 19-minute scoring drought when Lamon scored off a nifty pass through traffic by junior Matt Hughes, tying the game at 2-2.

With 6:27 left in the second quarter, Mike DeNapoli ended Hofstra’s scoring drought as he scored off a pass from Steve Serling to put Hofstra ahead, 3-2. Only nine seconds later, Mike DeNapoli scored again as he took a pass from Sorchetti off the faceoff and gave the Pride a 4-2 advantage.

Hofstra maintained its 4-2 lead until halftime.

In the opening minute of the third quarter, Sorchetti scored an unassisted goal to give Hofstra a 5-2 lead. Less than two minutes later, the Tigers stopped Hofstra’s 3-0 run when Hughes scored off a pass from Thomas DeNapoli with 12:33 remaining in the quarter, pulling the Tigers to within 5-3.

Freshman Tyler Begley extended the Hofstra lead to 6-3 when he scored off a pass from sophomore Lance Yapor with 8:52 left in the third quarter. Serling scored on a long running shot three minutes later, giving Hofstra a 7-3 lead.

When Serling scored a goal with 13 minutes left in the game, Hofstra extended its lead to 8-3. Begley added an extra man goal off a pass from Sorichetti with 12:04 left, upping the advantage to 9-3.

Thomas DeNapoli led the Tigers with three goals and three assists while Lamon added three goals and an assist.

The victory extended the Tigers’ winning streak to four games in a row.