llinois (6-0) at Maryland (3-2)
Tuesday, Nov. 29 | 7:30 p.m. | Comcast Center
ESPN | Terrapin Sports Radio Network
COLLEGE PARK, Md. – Maryland plays host to Illinois in this season’s Big Ten / ACC Challenge. The Terrapins have won six straight games in the series, including last season’s 62-39 victory at Penn State, and are 9-3 since the inception of the series. The Terps’ last loss in the series was a 69-64 defeat at Wisconsin in 2004.
- Maryland is 3-0 against Illinois in the Challenge, including wins in 2001, 2006 and 2007. The Terrapins lost to Illinois in a matchup last season in the 2K Sports Classic benefiting Coaches vs. Cancer. The Illini prevailed 80-76 in a game at Madison Square Garden in New York. Illinois is receiving votes in both pols this week.
- The Terrapins are coming off a 73-67 win over Florida Gulf Coast last Friday. Terrell Stoglin led the Terrapins with 24 points, giving him three games with at least 20 points in Maryland’s first five of the season. Stoglin, a sophomore guard, leads the ACC in scoring at 20.2 points per game and is the only player in the league over a 20-point average coming into this week’s Challenge.
- James Padgett scored 11 points in 15 minutes against the Eagles and added four rebounds, an assist and a steal. The junior forward is third on the team in scoring (8.0 ppg) and second in rebounding (6.0 rpg), but leads the ACC with 4.2 offensive boards per game. Of his 30 rebounds this year, 21 have come at the offensive end.
- Senior guard Sean Mosley also averages in double figures for the Terrapins, putting up 11.0 points per game. He has hit nine 3-pointers so far to lead the team and is 9-for-19 (.474) behind the arc. Mosley is averaging 5.6 rebounds per game.
- Freshman guardNick Faust is one of two Terrapins (Mosley) to have started all five games this season, as head coach Mark Turgeon juggles his starting lineup. Faust leads the Terrapins in assists (13) and steals (7), while scoring 6.8 points per game.
Scouting the Illini
- Illinois comes into Tuesday night’s game with a 6-0 record, having outscored its opponent by an average margin of 18.8 points per game… Bruce Weber is in his ninth season as the head coach and will be seeking his 200th career win at Illinois on Tuesday night.
- The Illini returned just one starter – D.J. Richardson – from last season’s 20-14 team which reached the NCAA Sweet Sixteen… The junior guard leads the team in scoring (13.5 ppg) and is connecting at a .405 mark from 3-point range.
- Joining Richardson in the backcourt is junior Brandon Paul and newcomer Sam Maniscalco… Paul leads the team in assists (3.0 apg) while Maniscalco is third in scoring (11.5 ppg) and is shooting 54.8 percent from the field.
- Meyers Leonard, a 7-foot-1 center, and Tyler Griffey, a 6-foot-8 forward, comprise the starting frontcourt… Leonard is second on the team in scoring (12.3 ppg) and leads the Big Ten in blocks (3.2 pg)… Griffey is averaging 5.5 rebounds per game, second on the team behind Leonard’s 6.8 rpg…
- Freshman Nnanna Egwu, a 6-foot-11 forward/center, is another defensive threat… He has 10 blocks on the season and, as a team, the Illini lead the Big Ten with 6.8 blocks per game.
Maryland next plays on Sunday, Dec. 4 against Notre Dame in the nightcap of the BB&T Classic at Verizon Center in Washington, D.C… The Terrapins and Irish follow the opener with George Washington hosting VCU…
Following the trip downtown, Maryland will play its next six and eight of its next nine games at Comcast Center in a stretch that has the Terps mostly home through mid-January… The Terrapins’ next game away from the area is on Sunday, Jan. 8 at NC State…
NOTE THAT THE GAME VS. FIU ON 12/14 HAS BEEN MOVED TO A 7:30 P.M. START AND WILL BE ON ESPN.