The Bears (1-2) are set for the third of four consecutive road tests when they open up the conference schedule at North Carolina A&T on Thursday (Sept. 27). The Aggies enter the 2012 season under the leadership of second-year head coach Rod Broadway. The Aggies (2-1) are coming off a 40-7 win against Virginia Union-Lynchburg. Morgan State fell 66-6 at Akron in a game that was streamed live by ESPN3. Game time at Aggies Stadium is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. and will be broadcast by ESPNU.
THE BEARS-AGGIES MATCHUP
• The Bears and Aggies will meet for the 78th time in history. Morgan State leads the series 40-34-3 since 1930. N.C. A&T won in the last matchup as Mike Mayhew recorded 26 carries for a career-high 233 yards and a touchdown in a 24-3 win at Hughes Stadium.
• Morgan State will enter the 2012 season with plenty of veterans … the Bears’ roster includes 22 seniors.
• Morgan State returns three of its top rushers from last season: Travis Davidson (792 yards), Tracy Martin (317 yards) and Brian Mann (101 yards).
• Travis Davidson currently leads the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC) in rushing and ranks No. 10 in the FCS with 320 yards (106.7 avg/g). He also ranks No. 5 the MEAC in scoring (24 Pts/G).
• Quarterbacks Seth Higgins and Robert Council have combined for 411 passing yards (36-of-76) and two touchdowns.
• Joe Rankin emerged as a shutdown cornerback for the Bears and finished with three picks in 2011…he collected his second pick of the season vs. Akron in Week 3 and has 7 INTs for his career.
• RB Brian Mann posted a career-high 74 yards on 17 carries and posted a 5 yard TD run in the 3rd quarter at Buffalo in Week 2.
• LB Tierney Yates (T-4th in tackles for loss/5.0) suffered an injury at Akron and will miss the remainder of the season.
• Chris Flowers leads the MEAC in kick returns and currently ranks No. 3 in the country by averaging 35.8 yards per return.
• LB Elandon Roberts recorded his first career interception and added 7 tackles at Buffalo and was selected MEAC Rookie of the Week by the league … he currently ranks No. 9 in the MEAC in tackles (25).
• WR Andrew King has seven (7) catches for a team-high 113 yards, including a 44-yard touchdown reception.
DAVIDSON ECLISPSES 1,000 YARD MARK
As a result of his 77 yards against Akron on Sept. 15, Travis Davidson has eclipsed the 1,000 yards mark. Davidson currently has 1,052 yards and sits 400 yards away from passing James Fields at No. 10 on the school’s all-time rushing list.
A WIN WOULD …
… improve the Bears to 2-2 this season.
… make the Bears 2-2 for the fourth time during the Donald Hill-Eley era and 2-2 in three consecutive seasons.
… be the Bears first road win of the season, and its first road win since beating Delaware State 12-0 on October 24, 2011.
… give the Bears wins in four of its last five conference openers.
… improve Coach Hill’s record against North Carolina A&T to 8-3 since 2002, and 5-0 at Aggies Stadium.
… improve the Bears record to 1-2 in televised games this season.
NOTES ON THE AGGIES
• Through the first three games, the A&T defense is ranked No. 3 in total defense limiting opponents to 215.7 yards per contest. The Aggies also boast the league’s top ranked scoring defense (12.0 avg), pass defense (127.7 avg) and rank No. 2 in rushing defense (88.0 avg).
• Freshman RB Dominique Drake currently leads the Aggies with 161 yards (4.4 avg) on 37 carries and has scored three touchdowns.
• The Aggies have employed the services of both Lewis Kindle and Kwashaun Quick at the quarterback position. Kindle has completed 26-of-42 passes for 393 yards with two touchdowns, while Quick has thrown for 155 yards on 11-of-23 passes with a touchdown. So far this season, Quick holds a 3-to-2 margin with Kindle in games played.