It’s a Happy Thursday for me because Stephen Curry threw a pretty ridiculous half court alley-oop to Dorell Wright last night in Oakland…
Let’s see what everyone has to say…
1. WNST.net’s Glenn Clark says ‘rivalry week’ atmosphere setting in for Ravens at 1 Winning Drive
In fact, I heard that instead of giving away purple towels Sunday night, the crowd at M&T Bank Stadium will be handed t-shirts that read “Duck Fuke.”
This really is the most exciting game of the year, there’s simply no other way to say it. You can tell from the moment you walk into the building that there is a different excitement and electricity to the week.
There isn’t quite the “hurry up and get past it” feel to this week that there was last week leading up to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers game, or the week before to the Carolina Panthers game.
This week there’s a “hurry up and get there, then please don’t end” feeling.
It won’t be this exciting again until January.
At least…we hope.
2. CSNBaltimore.com’s Joe Platania says Le’Ron McClain only Ravens player not practicing Wednesday
Which is a measure of good news for the Ravens considering all of the named on their injury report.
Dawan Landry was limited, but the rest of the guys were full participants. It would lead you to believe that McClain is the only player in SERIOUS jeopardy of missing Sunday night’s game against the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Of course, if Michael Oher is suddenly missing from practice TODAY-whatever good news came yesterday gets IMMEDIATELY thrown out the window.
3. BaltimoreRavens.com’s Mike Duffy says Terrell Suggs named AFC Defensive Player of the Month
What honor comes from winning Player of the Month? THIS picture of Sandra Valencia. (Thanks Brosome via Busted Coverage!)
4. National Football Post’s Aaron Wilson says John Harbaugh dismissed Hines Ward handshake complaints
He handled the question better than I would have. My response would have been “Are you effing serious?”
It probably wouldn’t have been “effing.”
A few things before we move on from the Ravens…
-We’ll be back out in Owings Mills today as the Ravens return to practice. Coordinators Cam Cameron, Greg Mattison and Jerry Rosburg. Make sure you’re tuned in to AM1570 WNST throughout the day, checking back here at WNST.net and following us on Twitter (@WNST).
-Did you miss NFL Network Insider Jason La Canfora this morning with Drew Forrester on “The Morning Reaction” on AM1570 WNST? Make sure you head over to the BuyAToyota.com Audio Vault today here at WNST.net to check it out. Some other things you can hear in the Audio Vault include…
- Sean Salisbury (“Sean Unfiltered”-Voice America Sports Radio)-who went around the NFL with Drew Thursday
- Mike DeCourcy (Sporting News)-who talked early season college basketball with Drew Thursday
- Our weekly Morning Reaction “Cheap Shots From the Bleachers”-as Drew took a shot at “competition” and Glenn Clark took a shot at the Cleveland Cavaliers/Miami Heat buildup
- Ralph Friedgen (ACC Coach of the Year)-who joined Thyrl Nelson Wednesday for “The Terrapins Coaches’ Report”
- Dave Miller (National Football Post)-who went around College Football with Thyrl Wednesday on “The Mobtown Sports Beat”
- Barry Barnes (Fanhouse)-who previewed Ravens/Steelers with Rex Snider Wednesday on “The Afternoon Drive”
- Jamey Eisenberg (CBSSports.com)-who talked Fantasy Football with Rex Wednesday
- All sorts of audio from Owings Mills Wednesday; including Harbaugh, Suggs, Ray Lewis, Ray Rice, Joe Flacco, Jarret Johnson and Haloti Ngata
It’s all in the Audio Vault…so…ENJOY! Thank me later.
5. WNST.net’s Drew Forrester says Orioles make offer to 1B Paul Konerko
And you guys HAVE to feel silly, because I already printed my World Series tickets back when they signed Mitch Atkins. You’re probably going to miss out.
The immediate rumors are that Paul Konerko is probably going to pull a Paul Konerko here. The O’s will offer him a bunch of money and he’ll say “thanks but no thanks.” The word is that because he lives in Arizona, he wants to play for a team that does (at least) Spring Training there.
My suggestion? The Orioles move Spring Training to Tempe. It would at least make me happy. Isn’t that what matters?
If Konerko turns down the money, the Orioles still have to go get SOMEONE. I’m not sure if they’re aware, but Adam Dunn is available. I haven’t heard about them offering him a contract, which is surprising-because he’s pretty good.
Someone should let them know.
6. MLB.com’s Brittany Ghiroli says Birds could choose not to tender contract offer to Matt Albers
No matter what happens, Matt Albers HAS to return to Charm City. His fake Twitter account is amongst the best in town.
Of course, if Albers leaves town, the Orioles will need some bullpen help.
7. The AP’s Genaro C. Armas says Jordan Williams posted double double as Maryland won at Penn State
The Nittany Lions are SO bad I actually almost felt bad for Talor Battle for a second.
Empty arena in Happy Valley. Teammates that didn’t bother to come back out for the second half.
This takes nothing away from what Gary Williams’ Terrapins did last night, as the Terps recovered from a terrible first five minutes to dispatch PSU easily.
It was absolutely what we expected them to do, but it was important that they did it.
The Terps return to action Sunday night when they face Temple at the Verizon Center in the BB&T Classic.
8. The AP says Isaiah Philmore’s buzzer beater lifted Towson past Western Michigan at Towson Center
For the first time in my life, I left the Towson Center last night saying to myself…
“What I just saw was really special.”
(Edit from GMC: No offense to 3 Doors Down, FUEL and Oleander-who put on a hell of a show at the Towson Center when I was in 12th grade. But this was better.)
Troy Franklin and Braxton Dupree did a hell of a job in leading the Tigers back from down 15 in the 2nd half, but it was the John Carroll product who delivered the dagger…
9. ESPN.com says San Diego State will be Navy’s opponent in Poinsettia Bowl
If I was Ken Niumatalolo, I probably wouldn’t care too much who my Midshipmen were playing…mostly because I’d be in SAN FREAKING DIEGO.
Other things I don’t care too much about? Anything to do with Jessica Burciaga that ISN’T this picture. (Thanks The Smoking Jacket!)…
10. The Sun’s Katherine Dunn previews weekend High School Football championship games
And tonight’s first title game is Franklin-Wilde Lake (7pm, M&T Bank Stadium live on WNUV 54.)
I’ll go 26-16 Indians.
I know this much…North Harford isn’t there. That’s all that matters.
And finally, I leave you with this.
Here are my picks to win this year’s significant Grammy Awards (the nominations came out last night).
Album of the Year….Eminem “Recovery”
Song of the Year and Record of the Year….Cee-Lo “F*** You” (Language NSFW)
Best New Artist….Drake
Flexing my mic muscles since 1983…