It’s a Happy Thursday for me because I ventured over to the “Get Spicy Nuggets” website yesterday and went ahead and made a reservation to try out the new product at Chick-Fil-A Nottingham Square next Tuesday…
The best part about the reservation? I got an email RIGHT BACK from the great Steve Pavlovsky telling me he was “excited” to have me come by that week. Love it!
I’m hoping the Spicy Nuggets will go well with the Christian Moerlein Golden Helles I picked up in Cincinnati last weekend…
I don’t have much positive to say about the Queen City, but this was definitely a good decision.
Let’s see what everyone has to say…
1. WNST.net’s Glenn Clark says Ravens released S Ken Hamlin to make room for CB Cary Williams on roster
The only surprising thing about the Ken Hamlin decision is that we had heard from a few different sources that the player getting cut was more likely to be DT Lamar Divens.
But everything about cutting Ken Hamlin really does make sense. The word was that Hamlin was holding a roster spot just until (if?) Ed Reed comes back. The Ravens got value from Hamlin in the secondary and on Special Teams; but Cary Williams is expected to also give them some value in the secondary and on Special Teams.
It’s semi-surprising. It certainly isn’t stunning.
2. WNST.net’s Drew Forrester doesn’t think Derrick Mason media ban any sort of ‘big deal’
And it isn’t.
There’s an argument that Derrick is better off NOT talking to the media right now as he can likely only be frustrated with his role in the offense and the offense in general. Instead of saying something silly about Cam Cameron, Joe Flacco or Anquan Boldin; it might be better for Mason to keep his mouth shut.
Now-it is CERTAINLY hypocritical of Mason to choose not to talk to reporters but still talk on WBAL on his radio show. That’s completely lame, and he should be reminded of that.
3. National Football Post’s says Jared Gaither says notions of holdout ‘foolish’
There’s NOTHING about having a player try to NOT play in order to make more money that makes sense to me. I understand the frustration with Gaither not being on the field, but I have NEVER doubted whether or not he was hurt.
You know what else would be foolish? NOT posting this picture of Lisa Morales. (Thanks DJMICK via Busted Coverage!)
4. BaltimoreRavens.com’s Mike Duffy says Donte’ Stallworth, Tavares Gooden OUT; Le’Ron McClain, Derrick Mason, Jared Gaither, Browns’ Jake Delhomme DNP in practice Wednesday
And before we move on from the Ravens, a couple of things…
-The Ravens are back on the practice field today at 1 Winning Drive in Owings Mills. We are expected to hear from Offensive Coordinator Cam Cameron, Defensive Coordinator Greg Mattison and Special Teams Coordinator Jerry Rosburg and LB Ray Lewis today as well. Make sure you’re following us on Twitter (@WNST) and tuned in throughout the day on AM1570.
-Did you miss Ravens OL Chris Chester this morning with Drew Forrester on “The Morning Reaction” on AM1570 WNST? Make sure you head on over to the BuyAToyota.com Audio Vault here at WNST.net to check it out. Some other things you can find in the Audio Vault include…
- Steve Beuerlein (CBS Color Analyst)-who previewed Ravens/Browns with Drew Thursday morning
- Sean Salisbury (“Sean Unfiltered”-Voice America Radio)-who went around the NFL with Drew Thursday morning
- Our “Morning Reaction Cheap Shots” from Thursday morning, including Drew’s shot at Rex Ryan
- Rhea Hughes (610 WIP Philadelphia)-who discussed the Eagles’ Michael Vick/Kevin Kolb/Andy Reid situation with Rex Wednesday
- Kevin Lempa (Terps Safeties Coach)-who joined Thyrl Nelson Wednesday for the “Terrapins Coaches Report”
- Les Carpenter (Yahoo! Sports)-who talked Braylon Edwards, etc. with Thyrl Wednesday
- Mario Cristobal (Florida International Head Coach)-who previewed FIU’s visit to College Park with Thyrl Wednesday
- PLENTY of audio from Owings Mills Wednesday, including John Harbaugh, Joe Flacco, Ray Rice, Haloti Ngata, Matt Birk, TJ Houshmandzadeh and Jarret Johnson
It’s all there in the Audio Vault. Make sure you check it out today-and shower me with praise for handling your daily plans.
5. The AP says David Ortiz, John Lackey helped Boston Red Sox avoid sweep at hands of Orioles at Fenway Park
I guess Kevin Millwood serves to prove that there IS some sort of immunity to Buck Showalter in Charm City. I wouldn’t have believed it otherwise. 5IP, 6ER, 7H (and 1BB) don’t get the job done.
Earlier in the year I said this jokingly, but now I genuinely mean it. You can’t win them all. Games like last night will happen-even to Buck Showalter!
6. The AP/WNST.net offer numerical evidence of loss
You REALLY don’t want to look at these numbers, especially if your name is Matt Wieters (we’ll get back to him).
Instead of looking at the numbers, look at Brittany Dailey. It will be a much more pleasant experience…
7. CSNBaltimore.com’s Pete Kerzel says O’s Wieters has ‘room for growth and improvement’
And before we move on from the Birds, a couple of things…
-Make sure you check out Jay Trucker’s Brian Roberts blog today at WNST.net. I think it’s pretty interesting; as 2005 was the last time baseball fans in Baltimore had any level of excitement.
-The Orioles are off tonight, they head up to Canada (hopefully Adam Jones won’t have any trouble) to open a series with the Toronto Blue Jays tomorrow night. Chris Tillman will face Brett Cecil in the first game; and Jeremy Guthrie will go for the Birds Saturday night. Otherwise, we don’t know much about the pitching matchups.
8. D1scourse’s Patrick Stevens says Maryland, Texas agree to football series in 2017-2018
The best number Patrick points out in his blog? Maryland is 0-3 all time against the ‘Horns; and have been outscored 102-0 in the three games.
A lot could change between now and the trip to Austin in 2017 or the return at FedEx Field in DC in 2018. Will Muschamp will likely be the head coach for Texas; and who knows what will happen in College Park as they try to sort out Ralph Friedgen and James Franklin.
But I don’t think everything will change. I’m no betting man, but if the early line was Maryland (+28), I don’t know if I could bet the Terps.
I remember Bob Ehrlich made an appearance in Catonsville when Princeton visited UMBC a few years back. I think he was still governor then.
I wonder….eh, I’ll leave that alone for now.
It’s always cool to have celebrities sitting courtside at big games. Maybe the visit from Princeton would even be cool enough for Erin Heatherton to sit courtside. (Thanks Guyism!)
10. Inside Lacrosse’s Danielle Bernstein says former Navy lacrosse player Brandon Looney killed in Afghanistan
This goofy blog is much too irreverent to do justice for this terrible loss. Brandon Looney (like so many of the young men who we’ve lost in Afghanistan and Iraq) won’t get the attention that a Pat Tillman did; but he deserves a great deal of honor.
We thank Brandon Looney for giving the greatest sacrifice, and we wish the best to his family, friends and everyone in the Midshipmen family.
And finally, I leave you with this.
30 Rock is back tonight. That pleases me.
Flexing my mic muscles since 1983…