Here’s a quick edition of 17 points to ponder, in honor of Joe Flacco’s 17-for-23 effort on Sunday at Miami.
1. I’m sure glad Tampa Bay beat the Red Sox. My disdain for all things Philly would have forced me to root for “Bah-stun” in the World Series and that would have been tough to do. I was so sure the Sox were going to win Game 7 that I bought a “Pedroia for President” t-shirt Sunday morning. I still have the receipt, thankfully.
2. Tampa Bay in six games. Buh-bye Phillies…
3. How come David Price of the Rays – picked in the ’07 draft – could pitch meaningful games in September and be a hero in the ALCS and the O’s couldn’t bring up Matt Wieters for a dozen games in September that didn’t matter? Oh, that’s right, our team’s cheap.
4. Ravens 24 – Oakland 3.
5. I think we’ll have another fund-raiser for Maryvale later this week. What do you say? Winless Lions vs. Redskins on Sunday. It worked a few weeks back when the Rams whipped ‘em in DC.
6. Is Jared Gaither having a terrific season or what?
7. If I had to make a pick right now, today, I’ll say Titans vs. Giants in the Super Bowl, but it’s very rare that the two #1 seeds make it to the big game(assuming they both finish as #1 seeds…).
8. As long as that game in Tampa doesn’t feature Pittsburgh vs. Washington, we’re all OK. Could you imagine the heartache of THAT scenario in the Super Bowl this February?
9. The best NFC team no one is talking about right now is Tampa Bay.
10. Maryland 38 – NC State 16. In Raleigh, it could be a steamer-in-the-making, but in College Park, the Terps will roll and move Bob Haynie ever so close to that steak dinner he keeps talking about from Rob Long.
11. Two guys who might be available in the off-season would make good Ravens next year: Steve Smith (WR, Carolina) and Joey Porter (LB, Miami). If Ray-Ray, Suggs and/or Bart Scott jump ship, Porter would be a nice fallback…that’s if he doesn’t stick it out in Miami. I’ll trade Smith for Clayton and DWilliams right now.
12. Merton from Indianapolis is a good egg. Even when the Colts get slapped around, he still calls in. Gotta give him credit for that, at least.
13. The Capitals’ offense looks decent so far. I’m still not sold on Jose Theodore in goal. But they’ll win a lot of games this year ‘cuz they’ll score 5 goals or more on a lot of nights.
14. Bob Haynie made a great point today on his show. So I’ll use it here with a nod to him. The last time the O’s had a winning season (’97), the Tampa Bay Rays weren’t in the league yet. Yeah, it hurt me to hear that too.
15. What’s with all the necklaces these pitchers are wearing? One…OK. Two…I guess. But why 3, 4 and 5 of them? Why?
16. Janikowski’s 57-yard field goal to beat the Jets in OT yesterday would have been good from 67…at least.
17. The Rams are still alive in the NFC West. Seriously.