Posted on 18 May 2012 by Glenn Clark
Comments Off on The Friday Conversation-a fictional chat between LeBron James and Kobe Bryant
Posted on 17 May 2012 by Glenn Clark
Comments Off on Some Free Advice for Showalter, World Peace, Loyola Lax and more
Posted on 15 May 2012 by Glenn Clark
Honorable Mention: WNBA-Chicago Sky @ Washington Mystics (Saturday 7pm Verizon Center); Mixed Martial Arts: UFC on FUEL TV 3-“Korean Zombie” Chan Sung Jung vs. Dustin Poirier (Tuesday 8pm from Patriot Center live on FUEL TV); Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix Final-Josh Barnett vs. Daniel Cormier (Saturday 10pm from San Jose live on Showtime); Bellator Fighting Championships 69 (Friday 8pm from Lake Charles, LA live on MTV2); Golf: PGA Tour HP Byron Nelson Championship (Thursday & Friday 3pm live on Golf Channel, Saturday & Sunday 3pm live on CBS. All golf from Irving, TX), LPGA Tour Sybase Match Play Championship (Thursday & Friday 6:30pm Saturday 3pm Sunday 4pm from Gladstone, NJ live on Golf Channel); Pro Lacrosse: MLL Chesapeake Bayhawks @ Hamilton Nationals (Friday 11am from Hamilton, Ontario, Canada live on ESPN3.com); Tennis: ATP Tour & WTA Tour Internazionali BNL d’Italia (Tuesday-Saturday 6am Sunday 7:30am from Rome live on Tennis Channel); Women’s College Lacrosse: NCAA Tournament-Loyola @ Maryland (Saturday 12pm Field Hockey & Lacrosse Complex)
10. Infieldfest feat. Maroon 5, Wiz Khalifa, Little Big Town, The Darkness (Saturday 11am Pimlico Race Course); New Edition (Sunday 7pm 1st Mariner Arena); Black Keys/Arctic Monkeys (Friday 6:30pm Merriweather Post Pavilion), Lucinda Williams/Drive-By Truckers (Saturday 6:30pm Merriweather Post Pavilion), Lady Antebellum/Darius Rucker (Sunday 5:30pm Merriweather Post Pavilion); Styx/REO Speedwagon/Ted Nugent (Friday 7pm Jiffy Lube Live); Buckcherry/Foxy Shazam (Thursday 7:30pm Power Plant Live), Mr. Greengenes (Friday 8pm Power Plant Live); 2 Skinnee J’s/All Mighty Senators (Friday 8pm Rams Head Live); Kenny Wayne Shepherd (Tuesday 8pm Rams Head on Stage, Thursday 8pm Howard Theatre); Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros (Tuesday 7pm 9:30 Club), SOJA (Friday 7pm Saturday 8pm 9:30 Club); Fishbone (Thursday 7pm State Theatre); Less Than Jake/Ballyhoo! (Friday 8pm Rock N Roll Hotel); Chesapeake Bay Blues Festival feat. Jonny Lang, Tedeschi Trucks Band, Big Head Todd and the Monsters (Saturday & Sunday Sandy Point State Park); Justin Jones & The Driving Rain (Monday 7pm Ottobar); Night of 1000 Dylans (Friday 7:30pm Creative Alliance); Tenacious D “Rize of the Fenix” available in stores/on iTunes (Tuesday)
Totally underrated Black Keys tune? “I Got Mine.” See you at MPP Friday night…
If Maroon 5 promised to not play a song they’ve released in the last 10 years I’d be excited to see them Saturday. But if they did nothing but tunes from “Songs About Jane” I would be in…
If you haven’t seen Darius Rucker play country music, you’re going to have to trust me. He kicks a little ass…
I’m hoping Justin Jones will stop by the studio Monday. He’s quite talented…
9. Brian Regan (Friday & Saturday Warner Theatre); John Henton (Thursday-Saturday Baltimore Comedy Factory); Bobby Slayton (Thursday-Sunday DC Improv); “The Dictator” (Wednesday), “Battleship” and “Crooked Arrows” (Friday) open in theaters; “The Grey” available on Blu-Ray/DVD (Tuesday); Preakness Crab Derby (Thursday 12pm Lexington Market); Preakness Frog Hop (Wednesday 12pm Patterson Park)
Crab races? Okay I guess. MUCH more kickass? PIG races.
And as far as the frog hop goes, I think you already know which frog I’ll be pulling for…
Comments Off on Top 10 Baseball Distractions
Posted on 08 May 2012 by Glenn Clark
Honorable Mention: Boxing-ShoBox Yudel Jhonson vs. Willie Nelson (Friday 11pm from Las Vegas live on Showtime); Mixed Martial Arts: Bellator Fighting Championships 68 (Friday 8pm from Atlantic City live on MTV2); Roller Derby: Charm City Roller Girls (Saturday 5:30pm Du Burns Arena); Soccer: MLS-DC United @ Houston Dynamo (Saturday 4:30pm from Houston live on NBC Sports Network); Pro Lacrosse: MLL Rochester Rattlers @ Chesapeake Bayhawks (Saturday 7pm from Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium live on ESPN3.com); Tennis: ATP Tour/WTA Tour Mutua Madrid Open (Tuesday-Friday 7am Saturday 5am Sunday 9:30am from Madrid live on Tennis Channel); Preseason WNBA: Connecticut Sun @ Washington Mystics (Monday 7pm Verizon Center)
10. Red Hot Chili Peppers (Thursday 7:30pm Verizon Center); Avett Brothers (Friday 8pm Patriot Center); Go-Go’s (Tuesday 7pm Rams Head Live), Andrew Bird (Wednesday 7pm Rams Head Live); Eve 6 (Saturday 7pm Recher Theatre), Lit (Sunday 5:30pm Recher Theatre); Fear Factory (Saturday 7pm Sonar); ALO (Saturday 8pm 8×10 Club); Mike Doughty (Wednesday 8pm Rams Head on Stage), Dar Williams (Saturday 6pm & 9pm Rams Head on Stage), Kenny Wayne Shepherd (Monday 8pm Rams Head on Stage); M83 (Saturday 7pm & 11pm 9:30 Club), Cranberries (Monday 7pm 9:30 Club); The Maine (Saturday 7pm Fillmore Silver Spring); Esperanza Spalding (Saturday 8pm Howard Theatre); Carolina Chocolate Drops (Thursday 7:30pm Birchmere), Chris Isaak (Monday 7:30pm Birchmere); The Gourds (Wednesday 8:30pm State Theatre); Feist (Wednesday 8pm Strathmore); M3 Rock Festival feat. Night Ranger, Kix, Ratt, Queensryche, Skid Row, Warrant, Quiet Riot, LA Guns, Great White (Friday & Saturday Merriweather Post Pavilion), Rob Zombie/Megadeth (Sunday 3pm Merriweather Post Pavilion); DC101 Chili Cook-Off feat. Incubus, Cake, AWOLNation, Angels & Airwaves, Airborne Toxic Event, Neon Trees (Saturday 11am RFK Stadium); Big Bad Voodoo Daddy (Thursday 7pm Friday & Saturday 8pm Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts); Glenn Frey (Monday 8pm Warner Theatre); Silversun Pickups “Neck of the Woods” available in stores/on iTunes (Tuesday)
One of the highlights of my life was getting a MySpace message from the Eve6 drummer. Seriously.
Mike Doughty is super talented.
I’m not really a Rob Zombie type of guy. I’m such a Rob Zombie type of guy though.
I know a guy who worked as a telemarketer his senior year at Perry Hall High School and sang “Short Skirt Long Jacket” by Cake into multiple answering machines. That guy was me.
9. Brad Sherwood/Colin Mochrie (Friday 8pm Modell Performing Arts Center at The Lyric); Christopher Titus (Friday & Saturday Baltimore Comedy Factory); Colin Quinn (Tuesday & Wednesday DC Improv); “Dark Shadows” in theaters (Friday); Baltimore Tattoo Arts Convention (Friday-Sunday Baltimore Convention Center); Preakness Celebration Balloon Festival (Thursday-Saturday Turf Valley); Foodie Experience feat. Andrew Zimmern (Saturday 3pm France-Merrick Performing Arts Center at the Hippodrome)
Colin Quinn is pretty funny. That said, Colin Quinn was never really all that good on Weekend Update…
Hey! Kat Von D has tattoos! Why don’t a post a picture of her here and just move on already…
Comments Off on Top 10 Baseball Distractions
Posted on 30 April 2012 by Glenn Clark
Honorable Mention: Soccer-MISL DC United @ San Jose Earthquakes (Wednesday 10:30pm from San Jose live on Comcast SportsNet PLUS), DC United @ Toronto FC (Saturday 4pm from Toronto live on Comcast SportsNet PLUS); Pro Lacrosse-MLL Ohio Machine @ Chesapeake Bayhawks (Saturday 7pm from Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium live on Comcast SportsNet/ESPN3.com); Women’s College Lacrosse: NCAA Tournament-Monmouth @ Towson (Saturday 7pm Unitas Stadium)
10. Lynyrd Skynyrd (Friday 6:30pm Pier Six Pavilion), Chicago (Sunday 6pm Pier Six Pavilion); Lupe Fiasco (Thursday 8pm Patriot Center); Slash feat. Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators (Thursday 7pm Rams Head Live), George Clinton & Parliament Funkadelic (Friday 8pm Rams Head Live), P.O.D. (Sunday 6pm Rams Head Live); Marilyn Manson (Tuesday 8pm Fillmore Silver Spring), Korn (Friday 8pm Fillmore Silver Spring); The Bad Plus (Tuesday 8pm Howard Theatre); fun. (Thursday 7pm Friday 8pm 9:30 Club), Eric Hutchinson (Saturday 8pm 9:30 Club), Rusted Root (Sunday 7pm 9:30 Club), Willie Nelson and Family (Monday 7pm 9:30 Club); Bob Schneider (Wednesday 7:30pm Birchmere), Mint Condition (Thursday & Friday 7:30pm Birchmere); Norah Jones “Little Broken Hearts” available in stores/on iTunes (Tuesday)
If I were going to be in town, I’d head to the Inner Harbor to check out Chicago. Honestly…
I like Eric Hutchinson. I also like women. I understand this comes as a surprise to many.
Bob Schneider made one of the best tunes of 2012…
“This is a fun tune from Norah Jones” uttered the man for the first time EVER…
9. Cirque du Soleil Michael Jackson THE IMMORTAL (Saturday & Sunday 1st Mariner Arena); D.L. Hughley (Friday-Sunday Baltimore Comedy Factory); Gilbert Gottfried (Friday-Sunday DC Improv); “The Avengers” in theaters (Friday); “Haywire” available on Blu-Ray/DVD (Tuesday)
I don’t like to speak out of line, but if you don’t go see “The Avengers” within hours of its’ release, you are almost certainly a terrorist.
Tony Stark is the greatest fake human being of all time.
Oh-and did you not remember Haywire? Haywire was the one where Gina Carano…you know I’m just going to go ahead and stop there.
Posted on 12 March 2012 by WNST Staff
Attending a Lakers-Celtics game at Staples Center in Los Angeles on Sunday, Baltimore Orioles legend Frank Robinson left early after experiencing dizziness.
The 76-year-old Hall of Fame outfielder received medical attention but was not taken to the hospital. Robinson was resting comfortably at his Los Angeles-area home after leaving the arena, according to a Staples Center spokesman.
Winner of the 1966 Triple Crown, Robinson led the Orioles to their first World Series title against the Dodgers in his first season in Baltimore.
Comments Off on Hall of Famer Frank Robinson leaves Lakers-Celtics game after dizzy spell
Posted on 07 March 2012 by WNST Staff
Comments Off on Wizards Rally From Large 2nd Half Deficit, Stun Lakers
Posted on 06 March 2012 by Glenn Clark
Honorable Mention: Boxing-Orlando Salido vs. Juan Manuel Lopez (Saturday 10pm from San Juan, Puerto Rico live on Showtime); Mixed Martial Arts: Bellator Fighting Championships 60 (Friday 8pm from Hammond, IN live on MTV2); Soccer: MISL Eastern Division Final-Rochester Lancers @ Baltimore Blast (Saturday 7:35pm 1st Mariner Arena, Leg 2 Monday 7pm in Rochester); Tennis: ATP Tour/WTA Tour BNP Paribas Open (Saturday-Monday 2pm from Indian Wells, CA live on Tennis Channel); Charm City Roller Girls (Saturday 5:30pm Du Burns Arena)
10. Black Keys/Arctic Monkeys (Friday 8pm Verizon Center); Boyce Avenue (Wednesday 6:30pm Rams Head Live), Pat Green (Friday 8pm Rams Head Live), moe. (Saturday 8pm Rams Head Live), Orgy (Sunday 6:30pm Rams Head Live); Cris Jacobs Band (Friday 8pm 8×10 Club), Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers (Saturday 8pm 8×10 Club); Kindred the Family Soul (Friday 7:30pm Baltimore Soundstage); Playing for Change Band (Wednesday 8pm Rams Head on Stage); Mutemath (Saturday 7pm 9:30 Club), Young The Giant/Grouplove (Sunday 7pm 9:30 Club); Experience Hendrix feat. Buddy Guy, Jonny Lang, Kenny Wayne Shepherd (Tuesday 8pm Strathmore); Travis Tritt (Tuesday 7:30pm Birchmere); North Mississippi All-Stars (Saturday 9pm State Theatre); Bruce Springsteen “Wrecking Ball” available in stores/on iTunes (Tuesday)
The Black Keys sold out the Verizon Center. That’s amazing. I’ll most look forward to the part where the place that usually houses smelly Caps fans turns into one large Phoenix Coyotes rally…
Boyce Avenue is not an act I should ever voluntarily admit to enjoying. I should ABSOLUTELY never admit to enjoying their cover of Rihanna’s “Umbrella”…
The PFC band is fantastic. You’ll probably remember this…
Young The Giant authored perhaps the single most underrated song of 2011…
9. Bill Bellamy (Thursday-Saturday Baltimore Comedy Factory); Kevin Pollak (Thursday-Saturday Magooby’s Joke House); Todd Glass (Thursday-Sunday DC Improv); Baltimore St. Patrick’s Day Parade/Shamrock 5K (Sunday 1:15pm Inner Harbor/Downtown Baltimore); “Friends With Kids” opens in theaters (Friday)
One-I love a good St. Patty’s Day throw down a week before the 17th. In honor of that, I think I’ll make a stop at the Tilted Kilt in White Marsh after the parade…
Note: I’m aware that’s a Scotish thing. It’s late. I’m tired.
Note 2: Does it really matter anyway?
And since we’re here, I actually think “Friends With Kids” has a bit of a “watchable chick flick” feel. It also has Jon Hamm. As in THIS Jon Hamm…
Comments Off on Top 10 Baseball Distractions
Posted on 20 December 2011 by Glenn Clark
Honorable Mention: Women’s College Basketball-UMBC @ Navy (Tuesday 7pm Alumni Hall)
10. Kix (Friday 7pm Rams Head Live); Cinder Road (Friday 7pm Recher Theatre); Mint Condition (Thursday 7:30pm Baltimore Soundstage); Cris Jacobs Band (Friday 8pm 8×10 Club); Carbon Leaf (Thursday 8pm Friday 3pm & 8pm Rams Head on Stage), Stephen Kellogg & The Sixers (Monday 8pm Rams Head on Stage); Chuck Brown/Wale (Wednesday 6pm 9:30 Club); Common “The Dreamer, The Believer” available in stores/on iTunes (Tuesday)
Judge me all you want. I went to see Mint Condition (and Boyz II Men actually) on the 4th of July a few years ago in Phoenix. It was AWESOME.
Knowing CJB is playing in Federal Hill Friday night only makes me sad thinking about The Bridge…
I’m such a nerdy fan of Carbon Leaf…
Honestly, I don’t think much of Wale’s new record. But his first was a freaking JAM…
9. John Waters Christmas (Wednesday 8pm Modell Performing Arts Center-Lyric); “Warrior” available on DVD/Blu-Ray (Tuesday); “The Adventures of Tintin” (Wednesday) & “War Horse” (Sunday) out in theaters
If I can’t make it to The Lyric Wednesday night, I’d be willing to settle for watching old clips of John Waters talking to David Letterman…
“Warrior” was the best movie of the year you didn’t see. Did you enjoy “The Wrestler”? “The Fighter”? Yeah…that realm.
Oh, and “War Horse” is the movie your girlfriend REALLY wants to see but is also REALLY afraid might be very sad so she’s thinking about not seeing it.
Wait. Strike that.
“War Horse” is the movie MY girlfriend REALLY wants to see but is also REALLY afraid might be very sad so she’s thinking about not seeing it.
It’s confusing. Here’s this!
Comments Off on Top 10 Baseball Distractions
Posted on 29 August 2011 by WNST Staff
A team of Baltimore NBA superstars and friends of Towson Catholic’s own Carmelo Anthony will face Kevin Durant and a team of Washington, DC superstars in a basketball battle Tuesday night at Morgan State University’s Hill Field House.
The details on the event have been sketchy, but the Washington Post’s Michael Lee was able to nail down some specifics from former Towson University star Kurk Lee, now the athletic director of the “Melo Center” here in Charm City.
The Baltimore team will feature Anthony (New York Knicks F), Miami Heat F LeBron James, New Orleans Hornets G Chris Paul, San Antonio Spurs G Gary Neal (Towson/Calvert Hall/Aberdeen), Sacremento Kings F Donte Green (Towson Catholic), Memphis Grizzlies G Josh Selby (Lake Clifton), Los Angeles Clippers G Eric Bledsoe and former Knicks F/C Eddy Curry.
The DC team will feature Durant (Oklahoma City Thunder F), Boston Celtics F Jeff Green, Sacramento Kings C DeMarcus Cousins, Milwaukee Bucks G Brandon Jennings, Denver Nuggets G Ty Lawson, Washington Wizards F Trevor Booker, Detroit Pistons F Austin Daye, Los Angeles Lakers C/F Ater Majok, former Syracuse C Arinze Onuaku and Goodman League players Anthony “Gumby” Williams & Omar Weaver.
Lee reports tickets will be available first-come-first-served at the door. Tickets $40 for general admission, $100 for reserved floor seats. Doors will open at 6pm with the game starting at 7pm. Ticket revenue will go to support various charities.
There will be no television/radio broadcast of the event. WNST plans to cover the event via Twitter (@WNST), WNST.net and WNSTv.
Comments Off on Details Emerge For NBA Superstar Showdown in Baltimore Tuesday