2011 MORGAN STATE BASKETBALL
Friday, November 25 – 2 p.m. (PT)
Morgan State (0-4, 0-0 MEAC) vs. Cal Poly (2-2, 0-0 Best West)
Las Vegas, Nev. – Orleans Arena
Head Coach: Todd Bozeman
Alma Mater/Year: Rhode Island/1986
Record at MSU/Year: 102-69/6th
Career Record: 137-131
2011 MSU SCHEDULE & RESULTS
OFFICIAL CAL POLY WEBSITE
• Morgan State Morgan State will face Big West Conference member Cal Poly in Las Vegas, Nevada at Orleans Arena on Friday, Nov. 25 at 2 p.m. (PT). Live stats will be available at GoPoly.com. This will be MSU’s first-ever meeting with the Mustangs and the game is part of the Continental Tire Las Vegas Invitational. A victory pits the Bears against either Tennessee State (1-3) or Mississippi Valley State (0-3) at 2 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 26; a loss sends the Bears to an 11:30 a.m. matchup against either program.
• MSU is off to an 0-4 start with a road loss at #14/15 Xavier (63-74), a home loss against Murray State (69-80) and a recent loss at UNLV (55-92) and USC (62-65). The Bears will continue its stretch of four games in six days when they face the Cal Poly Mustangs on Friday night.
• Ameer Ali led the Bears with a career-high 17 points, Kevin Thompson had 15 points and a game-high 11 rebounds in a 65-62 loss against USC at the Galen Center.
• The Bears held a 27-21 advantage on the boards against USC and led 36-28 at halftime.
• Kevin Thompson’s 11 rebound performance at Southern Cal gives him 1,005 rebounds for his career, making him the No. 3 leading rebounder in school history and only the third Morgan State player to post 1,000 points and 1,000 rebounds in school history.
• The Bears will look to rebound from last year’s fourth place MEAC finish and reclaim the conference title for the fourth time in five years.
• The Bears completed the 2010-11 season with a 17-14 mark and posted a 10-6 conference record.
• Morgan State was selected to win the MEAC Regular Season Title, edging out last year’s MEAC Tournament Champion Hampton. The Bears received eight (8) first place votes and a totaled 616 points to take hold of the conference’s top spot going into the season.
• MSU senior Kevin Thompson returns to lead the Bears this season…the 6-foot-9 forward was the 2010 MEAC Defensive Player of the Year and was selected to the 2011 All-District 1st Team … Thompson averaged 13.1 points per game, 9.1 rebounds and has recorded 13 double-doubles (pts & rebs) last season.
• MSU recorded several non-conference victories last year including wins over Loyola Marymount University (81-79), Maryland Baltimore County (75-62), Western Illinois (72-53), Robert Morris (67-66).
• Morgan State has lost four straight dating back to their loss against Hampton in the MEAC Championship game on March 12,2011.
• Senior point guard Larry Bastfield is the only Bear to have started in every game (31) last season…currently he has started in 34 straight games.
THE SERIES VS. THE MUSTANGS
• Morgan State and Cal Poly will meet for the first time on Friday.
NOTE ON THE MUSTANGS
• A victory this week will provide Cal Poly its 200th triumph at the Division I level. Cal Poly’s first win as a Division I program was a 62-59 edging of Menlo College on Jan. 11, 1995.
• Forced to sit out the 2009-10 season after transferring from Hagerstown College (Md.) and the 2010-11 season after suffering an ACL injury, senior guard Amaurys Fermin finally made his Cal Poly debut with a game-high 17-point performance during the program’s 79-52 victory against San Jose State (Nov. 12). Fermin, who started at the point and played 27 minutes, also kicked down a game-high three assists.
• Cal Poly’s 27-point margin of victory against San Jose State (Nov. 12) was the program’s largest disparity under third-year head coach Joe Callero and largest since hammering North Florida on Nov. 21, 2008, 76-42.
• A year after finishing third among all Division I programs in opponent three-point percentage (28.7), sixth in opponent points per game (58.9) and 25th in opponent field goal percentage (40.0), the Mustangs opened the 2011-12 campaign by limiting San Jose State to a 21.4 percent mark from beyond the arc, 52 points and a 28.6 percent figure from the floor.
• Junior guard Dylan Royer leads the team in 3-pointers by shooting. 50 percent from behind the arc.
• Senior forward Davis Hanson had 17 points, 8 rebounds and an assist against UNLV. Hanson finished eight in the Big West conference last year with 455 total points and 15.2 a game. Hanson need just 104 points to become the 17thplayer in program history to reach 1,000 career points.
BEARS TO COMPETE IN LAS VEGAS INVITATIONAL
• The 11th annual Las Vegas Invitational, which is scheduled for November 25th and 26th at the Orleans Arena.
• The Invitational will feature preseason top-ranked North Carolina, UNLV, South Carolina and the University of Southern California, plus Morgan State, Cal-Poly, Mississippi Valley and Tennessee State.