Honorable Mention: Boxing-Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. vs. John Duddy (Saturday 9pm from San Antonio live on Pay-Per-View); MLL Lacrosse: Toronto Nationals @ Chesapeake Bayhawks (Thursday 7:30pm Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium); WNBA: Los Angeles Sparks @ Washington Mystics (Thursday 7pm from Verizon Center live on Comcast SportsNet), Phoenix Mercury @ Washington Mystics (Sunday 4pm from Verizon Center live on Comcast SportsNet); “Grown Ups” and “Knight and Day” out in theaters (Friday)
10. Carole King & James Taylor (Wednesday 8pm Verizon Center), Peter Frampton & Yes (Thursday 7pm Pier Six Pavilion), Phish (Saturday & Sunday 6pm Merriweather Post Pavilion), Carbon Leaf (Friday 8pm Rams Head Live), Bruce in the USA (Saturday 8pm Rams Head Live), Adam Lambert & Orianthi (Sunday 7pm Rams Head Live), Thrice (Saturday 7pm Recher Theatre), Hole (Sunday 7pm 9:30 Club), Sister Hazel (Friday 8pm Rams Head On Stage), Silversun Pickups (Wednesday 7:30pm D.A.R. Constitution Hall); Eminem “Recovery“, Robert Randolph & The Family Band “We Walk This Road” and The Roots “How I Got Over” available in stores and iTunes (Tuesday), Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band “London Calling: Live in Hyde Park” and “Stones in Exile” available on DVD & Blu-Ray (Tuesday)
Well then, where to start? Columbia might look like one big Michael Phelps house party this weekend. The thing is…Trey Anastasio and company are sometimes really REALLY good, and not JUST when they’re hanging out with Jay-Z…
If you’ve never seen Carbon Leaf, I can’t recommend it enough. And not JUST because I’ve sobbed uncontrollably into a Guinness on St. Patrick’s Day while “The Boxer” was playing in the background. Don’t judge me…
Believe it or not, Sister Hazel actually had more than one good song. “All For You” is one of the greatest songs EVER…but “Happy” wasn’t too bad either. If you’re in the Annapolis area, they might just play it for you. Tell them I asked them to. It won’t help, but I’ll think it’s cool…
I got a hold of the new RR&TFB disc today. Don’t bother me for a while. I wish I could find a video for a song on the record that wasn’t a commercial for a TNT show (Memphis Beat) that looks like it will go down as a worse decision than “Alvin & The Chipmunks” for Jason Lee, but you can only work with what you have…
9. Volleyball: AVP Belmar Open (Sunday 2pm live on ESPN2, 4pm live on Universal Sports. All beach action from Belmar, NJ)
I was thinking to myself last week “Why is it that a sport whose action looks like this…
always makes the Top 10, while a sport whose action looks like THIS…
Has a way of finding itself in “Honorable Mention”?
As you can see, I’ve corrected my mistakes. Also, a plug for the Barefoot Wine “AVP Next” events that go on at the “Baltimore Beach” near Rash Field in the Inner Harbor. And by “plug” I really mean “a suggestion.” My suggestion be that the competitors consider attire more similar to the picture of Misty May and Kerri Walsh above. This is Charm City, ladies. Visitors to town deserve to be charmed! That is all.
8. Indoor Football-AIFA: Reading Express @ Baltimore Mariners (Saturday 7pm 1st Mariner Arena), AFL: Bossier-Shreveport Battle Wings @ Tampa Bay Storm (Friday 8pm from Tampa Bay live on NFL Network)
Sadly, I will be in Ocean City this weekend-so I will again miss out on the Mariners, who I really want to see. Especially considering they beat New Jersey last week by something like 654 points. 654? I think it was 654. It might have been more. When it comes to beating New Jersey, that’s really God’s work.
Of course, that means that while you’re checking out QB EJ Nemeth’s beard…
…which is awesome, don’t get me wrong….I’ll be in the same town as WNST’s own Intern Genna…
…a girl who recently changed her Facebook name to “IronLiver.” Yes. “IronLiver.” If you’re a company who ISN’T interested in hiring this girl, I would NEVER want to work for you.
7. Auto Racing: NASCAR Lenox Industrial Tools 301 (Sunday 1pm from Loudon, New Hampshire live on TNT)
Let’s cut the crap here. I could pretend I know anything about what’s going on this year on the Sprint Cup series, or we could watch Ricky Bobby’s prayer scene from “Talladega Nights”.
I figured we would agree…
6. Golf: PGA Tour Travelers Championship (Thursday & Friday 3pm live on Golf Channel, Saturday & Sunday 3pm live on CBS. All golf from Cromwell, Connecticut.); LPGA Championship (Thursday & Friday 12:30pm, Saturday & Sunday 4pm from Pittsford, New York live on Golf Channel); Champions Tour Dick’s Sporting Goods Open (Friday 6:30pm, Saturday & Sunday 1pm from Endicott, New York live on Golf Channel)
Coming off the excitement of Graeme McDowell winning the U.S. Open, I bet at least 3 people in the Old Line State (not named Drew Forrester) will watch Golf this weekend.
The LPGA Championship is the event that used to be held at Bulle Rock until McDonald’s dropped the sponsorship. I know that there aren’t a whole lot of you that would have wandered up to Harford County to watch the ladies play golf this weekend, but it certainly isn’t a good thing to have the event gone. Partly because it brought money to the area.
More because it means Melissa Reid won’t be coming to town…
5. NHL Entry Draft (Friday 7pm live on VERSUS, Saturday 1pm live on NHL Network from Los Angeles), NHL Awards Show (Wednesday 7:30pm from Las Vegas live on VERSUS)
“And the award for the biggest chokejob in the NHL Playoffs goes to…..”
4. MMA-Strikeforce: Fedor Emelianenko vs. Fabricio Werdum (Saturday 10pm from San Jose live on Showtime), Bellator Fighting Championships XXIII (Thursday 8pm from Louisville live on Fox Sports Net)
Of course, the whole Mixed Martial Arts world is buzzing about the chance that former WWE wrestler Dave Batista may be headed to Strikeforce himself. I’m as much of a fan of “The Animal” as anyone else, but I will admit that I’m not so sure how excited I am to see a 40-some year old former wrestler suddenly try his hand at combat fighting.
That being said-if he DOES make the move, won’t EVERY opponent he ever has remind him about the whole “Deacon Batista” bit he had with “Reverend D-Von?”…
3. Tennis: Wimbledon (Tuesday-Friday 7am & 12pm live on ESPN2, 9:30am & 2pm live on ESPNU; Saturday 7am live on ESPN2, 12pm live on NBC; Monday 6:30am & 1pm live on ESPN2, 10am live on NBC. All tennis from London.)
Do you have any idea how close we were to seeing Roger Federer eliminated while Andy Roddick rolled on Day 1 of the fortnight? I would have given ANYTHING for that.
Also, props to my buddy BJ for this. With both major events going on at the same time-it’s worth wondering. Have we ever seen John Harkes and Mary Carillo in the same room at the same time? Let’s start with Harkes, he’s the 2nd voice you hear in these highlights after JP Dellacamera…
And now here’s Mary Carillo…
I’m just sayin’….
2. NBA Draft (Thursday 7pm from New York live on ESPN)
Here’s what we know about the NBA Draft:
1-The Wizards will take Kentucky’s John Wall with the #1 pick.
2-Whenever he’s picked, former Terrapins guard Greivis Vasquez will cry.
3-No one will look dumber than Joakim Noah did in 2007…
1. Soccer-World Cup: Mexico vs. Uruguay (Tuesday 10am from Rustenberg, South Africa live on ESPN), France vs. South Africa (Tuesday 10am from Bloemfontein, South Africa live on ESPN2), Nigeria vs. South Korea (Tuesday 2:30pm from Durban, South Africa live on ESPN2), Greece vs. Argentina (Tuesday 2:30pm from Polokwane, South Africa live on ESPN), Slovenia vs. England (Wednesday 10am from Port Elizabeth, South Africa live on ESPN2), United States vs. Algeria (Wednesday 10am from Pretoria, South Africa live on ESPN), Ghana vs. Germany (Wednesday 2:30pm from Johannesburg, South Africa live on ESPN), Australia vs. Serbia (Wednesday 2:30pm from Nelspruit, South Africa live on ESPN2), Slovakia vs. Italy (Thursday 10am from Johannesburg live on ESPN), Paraguay vs. New Zealand (Thursday 10am from Polokwane live on ESPN2), Denmark vs. Japan (Thursday 2:30pm from Rustenberg live on ESPN), Cameroon vs. Netherlands (Thursday 2:30pm from Cape Town, South Africa live on ESPN2), North Korea vs. Ivory Coast (Friday 10am from Nelspruit live on ESPN2), Portugal vs. Brazil (Friday 10am from Durban live on ESPN), Switzerland vs. Honduras (Friday 2:30pm from Bloemfontein live on ESPN2), Chile vs. Spain (Friday 2:30pm from Pretoria live on ESPN), Knockout Round Games (Saturday & Sunday 10am live on ESPN, 2:30pm live on ABC; Monday 10am & 2:30pm live on ESPN); NASL: NSC Minnesota Stars @ Crystal Palace Baltimore (Saturday 7pm UMBC Stadium); MLS: DC United @ Columbus Crew (Saturday 7:30pm Columbus live on MLS Direct Kick & Comcast SportsNet)
I know I’ve posted this before. Probably multiple times. But when it comes time for a crucial moment in American history, nothing prepares me for the moment quite as much as the gang from “Team America: World Police.” Video is NSFW. Unless you work at a place that loves America so much it makes you use the F-word.
Flexing my mic muscles since 1983…