Honorable Mention–Boxing: Paul Williams vs. Kermit Cintron (Saturday 9:45pm from Carson, CA live on HBO); WNBA: New York Liberty @ Washington Mystics (Wednesday 11:30am Verizon Center); MLS: Kansas City Wizards @ DC United (Wednesday 7pm from RFK Stadium live on ESPN2), DC United @ FC Dallas (Saturday 9pm from Dallas live on MLS Direct Kick); Auto Racing: NASCAR Showtime Southern 500 (Saturday 7:30pm from Darlington, SC live on FOX); Preakness 5k (Saturday 10am Pimlico Race Course)
10. Carolina Liar (Sunday 7pm Recher Theatre), Ratt (Thursday 7:30pm Rams Head Live), Taylor Hawkins (Tuesday 7pm Sonar), Drake (Wednesday 7pm Pier Six Pavilion), Angels & Airwaves (Thursday 7pm 9:30 Club), Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings (Friday 8pm Rams Head On Stage), Soullive (Friday 8pm 8×10 Club)
Not an overwhelming week of live music in town, but good shows on the list. Carolina Liar is pretty good, and the show is only 12 bucks. A certain doughy morning radio sidekick you know will be there…
Seeing Drake at Pier Six might be pretty cool, but it would be even cooler to get tickets to the upcoming Counting Crows show at Pier Six. I’ll be working on that. Wasn’t Drake on Degrassi???
You might have seen Sharon Jones with Michael Buble on SNL, or you might have seen her at Virgin Music Festival. Either way, it’s TOTALLY worth seeing her again…
And I had NO IDEA Soullive was coming to town. Chances of me NOT being in Federal Hill Saturday night? Almost zero.
9. Friday Night Lights Season 4 Premieres (Friday 8pm NBC), Betty White hosts Saturday Night Live (Saturday 11:30pm NBC)
Betty White just owns. I’m a little concerned that her hosting turn has been overhyped by Facebook, NBC and THE REST OF AMERICA, but I still have a good feeling about this. I feel like if something is crap; she might be capable of making something out of it. And if she screws up-I mean-she’s BETTY FREAKING WHITE. Plus, Jay-Z will be there. There was to be something magical between them, right??? This chick just owns…
8. High School Lacrosse: St. Paul’s @ Boys’ Latin (Friday 3:45pm), Loyola Blakefield @ Archbishop Spalding (Friday 7pm)
Is this an excuse just to post another one of my infamous Jailbait pictures? NO……..Yes…….
Geez that’s frightening. Am I a criminal???
7. Golf: THE PLAYERS Championship (Thursday & Friday 1pm live on Golf Channel, Saturday & Sunday 2pm live on NBC. All golf from Ponte Vedra Beach, FL.)
So the word is that if Phil Mickelson wins at TPC Sawgrass and Tiger Woods finishes outside of the Top 5…Lefty will become the World’s New #1 Player.
Number 1 GOLF player of course. I’m pretty sure Eldrick has that other honor locked up…
6. NHL Playoffs: Penguins/Canadiens (Game 3 Tuesday 7pm from Montreal live on VERSUS, Game 4 Thursday 7pm from Montreal live on VERSUS, Game 5 Saturday 7pm from Pittsburgh live on VERSUS, Game 6 if necessary Monday 7pm from Montreal live on VERSUS); Bruins/Flyers (Game 3 Wednesday 7pm from Philadelphia live on VERSUS, Game 4 Friday 7pm from Philadelphia live on VERSUS, Game 5 if necessary Monday 7pm from Boston live on VERSUS); Sharks/Red Wings (Game 3 Tuesday 7:30pm from Detroit live on VERSUS, Game 4 Thursday 7:30pm from Detroit live on VERSUS, Game 5 if necessary Saturday 10pm from San Jose live on VERSUS, Game 6 if necessary Monday 7:30pm from Detroit live on VERSUS); Canucks/Blackhawks (Game 3 Wednesday 9:30pm from Vancouver live on VERSUS, Game 4 Friday 9:30pm from Vancouver live on VERSUS, Game 5 if necessary Sunday 8pm from Chicago live on VERSUS)
With the Coyotes out, I have absolutely no reason to care about the NHL Playoffs anymore. My guess is that Pittsburgh plays Vancouver for the Stanley Cup. If they do, I’ll either have to root for Canada (HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?!?!) or I’ll have to pretend like I don’t know the Stanley Cup Finals are going on.
That’s very possible. But unlike the folks up in North Harford, I’m NOT rooting for anyone from the Steel City. Just forget it.
Well…unless Mena Suvari (of American Pie fame) were from the Steel City. I could probably get behind that…
5. NBA Playoffs: Cavaliers-Celtics (Game 3 Friday 7pm from Boston live on ESPN, Game 4 Sunday 3:30pm from Boston live on ABC); Hawks-Magic (Game 1 Tuesday 8pm from Orlando live on TNT, Game 2 Thursday from Orlando live on ESPN, Game 3 Saturday 5pm from Atlanta live on ESPN, Game 4 Monday 8pm from Atlanta live on TNT); Lakers-Jazz (Game 2 Tuesday 10:30pm from Los Angeles live on TNT, Game 3 Saturday 8pm from Salt Lake City live on ABC, Game 4 Monday 10:30pm from Salt Lake City live on TNT); Suns-Spurs (Game 2 Wednesday 9pm from Phoenix live on TNT, Game 3 Friday 9:30pm from San Antonio live on ESPN, Game 4 Sunday 8pm from San Antonio live on TNT)
Unlike the NHL, I actually have rooting interests in the NBA Playoffs still-despite the fact that I’ve watched about as much NBA basketball this year as I have D-League basketball. (I passed out on my couch and there was a Rio Grande Valley game on in the background. Don’t judge.)
First of all, I’m rooting for Joe Smith. Sure, he averaged less than 5 points per game in the Hawks’ first round playoff series against the Bucks; but he and Len Bias were the likely the greatest college basketball players in Maryland history.
Also, I have MY team. That’s right, Fear The Gorilla!!!
LET ME HEAR YOU….GROWL?!?!?
4. Mixed Martial Arts-UFC 113: Lyoto Machida vs. Mauricio “Shogun” Rua 2 (Saturday 10pm from Montreal live on Pay-Per-View); Bellator Fighting Championships XVII (Thursday 8pm from Boston live on Fox Sports Net)
HOLY CRAP CANCEL MY PLANS. He’s back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is Kimbo Slice single-handedly carrying MMA in the mainstream right now? No-Brock Lesnar helps too. In fact, if Slice could win a fight or two; a possible Slice-Lesnar showdown might well be the single most-purchased PPV event in the history of sports.
It’s fun to dream. Especially when those dreams involve UFC Octagon Girl Rachel Leah vacuuming in her underwear. Oh hey!
3. Ravens Mini-Camp (Friday-Sunday, 1 Winning Drive)
Oh my God I have to know everything there is to know about Boston College UFA FB/LB Mike McLaughlin IMMEDIATELY!!!!
Is Mini-Camp sexy? By absolutely no means. But will it be nice to see some FREAKING NFL FOOTBALL of some level this weekend? Yes. Maybe not quite the feeling that I assume is aided by outside influences before Passion Pit records music and makes videos, but good nonetheless…
2. Iron Man 2 opens in theaters (Friday), Maryland Film Festival (Thursday-Sunday, Charles Theatre/MICA/University of Baltimore)
If you’re not excited for Iron Man, just go ahead and move to the Soviet Union and practice the anthem with Nikolai Volkoff. This is the most significant moment of 2010…
1. College Lacrosse: Johns Hopkins @ Loyola (Saturday 12pm from Ridley Athletic Complex live on AM1570 WNST/WMAR 2/ESPNU); America East Tournament-Albany @ UMBC (Wednesday 7:30pm UMBC Stadium, Championship Game Saturday-teams, time, location TBA); CAA Tournament: UMass @ Towson (Wednesday 7:30pm Unitas Stadium, Championship Saturday night-Towson will host with win); Selection Sunday (Sunday 8:30pm ESPNU)
Given the nature of the Virginia lacrosse tragedy that has rocked the sport’s community, it would be expected that I would have something poignant to say here. I don’t. Freaking situation is so UNBELIEVABLY sad I can’t put it into words.
I love lacrosse. I mean, I LOVE lacrosse. I will be watching the rest of the way. I hope you will as well. If not, I understand.
It’s the most honest I can be.
Flexing my mic muscles since 1983…