Posted on 11 May 2012 by WNST Staff
Comments Off on Eveland makes first start as Birds open series with Rays
Posted on 10 May 2012 by WNST Audio
Comments Off on Bucs signee LeGrand offers inspiration for all of football
Posted on 09 April 2012 by Glenn Clark
Honorable Mention: Boxing-Brandon Rios vs. Richard Abril/Juan Manuel Marquez vs. Sergey Fedchenko (Saturday 9pm from Las Vegas live on Pay-Per-View), Friday Night Fights-Michael Katsidis vs. Albert Mensah (Friday 11pm from Las Vegas live on ESPN2); Women’s College Lacrosse: Virginia Tech @ Maryland (Saturday 12:30pm Ludwig Field); Tennis: ATP Tour U.S. Men’s Clay Court Championship (Saturday 1pm Sunday 2pm from Houston live on Tennis Channel); Soccer: MLS DC United @ New England Revolution (Saturday 4pm from Foxborough, MA live on Comcast SportsNet); Charm City Roller Girls (Saturday 5:30pm Du Burns Arena)
10. Kaiser Chiefs (Tuesday 7pm Rams Head Live), Rodney Atkins (Wednesday 7pm Rams Head Live), The Ting Tings (Saturday 8pm Rams Head Live); Ballyhoo (Saturday 6pm Recher Theatre); Nada Surf (Tuesday 7pm 9:30 Club), All-American Rejects (Sunday 7pm 9:30 Club); Robert Randolph & The Family Band (Friday 11pm Howard Theater) Yasiin Bey (Mos Def) (Saturday 11:30pm Howard Theater), The Roots (Sunday 9pm Monday 8pm Howard Theater); The Bacon Brothers (Friday & Saturday 7:30pm Birchmere); Alison Krauss & Union Station (Saturday 7:30pm Meyerhoff Symphony Hall); Cris Jacobs (Thursday 9pm Whiskey 1803 Annapolis), Local H (Saturday 9pm Whiskey 1803); Blues Traveler (Sunday 8pm State Theatre); Counting Crows “Underwater Sunshine (or what we did on our summer vacation)”, Alabama Shakes “Boys & Girls” & Florence & The Machine “MTV Unplugged” available in stores/on iTunes (Tuesday)
Robert Randolph Robert Randolph Robert Randolph Robert Randolph. He’s my friend…
I remember seeing Blues Traveler a few years back at Power Plant Live on a Friday night. I swear to God I sang along to every word, even when they did Sublime…
Alabama Shakes TORE UP the stage at RHL Saturday night. I’m so all in on their record…
And I both enjoy FATM and I enjoy MTV Unplugged. How could this get better? What, could Florence Welch combine with Josh Homme from Queens of the Stone Age to cover “Jackson” by Johnny Cash???
9. Jim Norton (Thursday-Saturday DC Improv); Jim Breuer (Friday & Saturday Magooby’s Joke House); Corey Holcomb (Thursday-Saturday Baltimore Comedy Factory); David Sedaris (Thursday 7:30pm Meyerhoff Symphony Hall); “Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol” available on Blu-Ray/DVD (Tuesday); “The Three Stooges” out in theaters (Friday); The Gathering (Friday 5pm Baltimore Museum of Industry); 16th Annual City Paper Brew Fest (Saturday 1pm Broadway Square Fells Point)
Judge me all you want. I still giggle about Jim Breuer in Half Baked…
Also of note in this-Stooges looks terrible and I’d go to The Gathering for THIS from Miss Shirley’s…
And Brew Fest? If I were to end up in Fells Saturday afternoon I would ABSOLUTELY end up spending too much time “sampling” this…
Comments Off on Top 10 Baseball Distractions
Posted on 03 April 2012 by Glenn Clark
Honorable Mention: Mixed Martial Arts-Bellator Fighting Championships 64 (Friday 8pm from Windsor, Ontario, Canada live on MTV2); Women’s College Lacrosse: Maryland @ North Carolina (Saturday 3pm from Chapel Hill, NC live on ESPN3.com); Soccer: Team USA Women vs. Brazil (Tuesday 7am from Chiba, Japan live on ESPN2), MLS-Seattle Sounders @ DC United (Saturday 7:30pm RFK Stadium)
10. Alabama Shakes (Saturday 8pm Rams Head Live); Cody Canada/Shooter Jennings (Friday 8pm Recher Theatre); Kevin Costner & Modern West (Tuesday & Wednesday 8pm Rams Head on Stage); Snow Patrol (Friday 7pm Saturday 8pm 9:30 Club); Moody Blues (Tuesday 8pm D.A.R. Constitution Hall); Of Monsters And Men “My Head Is An Animal” available in stores/on iTunes (Tuesday)
I’ll be at RHL Saturday night because I’m ALL IN…
I wish I could tell you I enjoyed The Moody Blues. Sadly I do not. But here’s this because there’s not much going on this week…
Now here’s Snow Patrol. Look, if Paul McCartney was playing this week I’d post something of his…
I think I posted the studio version of “Little Talks” by Of Monsters and Men last week. But I’m posting them again this week because THEY’RE REALLY FREAKING GOOD…
9. Mike Epps (Saturday 8pm 1st Mariner Arena); Kevin James (Wednesday 7:30pm Warner Theatre); Royal Comedy Tour feat. Bruce Bruce, Sommore, Mark Curry, Earthquake (Saturday 8pm Show Place Arena); “War Horse” available on Blu-Ray/DVD (Tuesday); “American Reunion” out in theaters (Friday)
We’re going to see “American Reunion” Thursday night/Friday morning at midnight in White Marsh. If you’re not going to see “American Reunion” Thursday night/Friday morning at midnight you’re a terrible human being and I don’t want to be your friend. So just make it simple and come with us. We’ll probably hit Tilted Kilt before then.
But honestly, if you don’t go see this movie you’re just the worst person of all time…
Comments Off on Top 10 Baseball Distractions
Posted on 02 April 2012 by Ed Frankovic
Just when the Washington Capitals had a chance to put themselves on the brink of making the post season, they found a way to mess it up. After tying the game on a late Jason Chimera tally, the Caps lost a defensive zone faceoff and allowed Bolts sniper Steven Stamkos to score on a rebound from the doorstep with 1:03 remaining for the game winner. Stamkos would add his league leading 58th goal into an empty net to make it 4-2.
It was an opportunity blown for the Caps, who now have to sit back and root for the Toronto Maple Leafs on Tuesday before taking on the Florida Panthers at the Verizon Center on Thursday night. If the Buffalo Sabres win tomorrow, they tie the Capitals in the standings with two games remaining, but the Caps own the tiebreaker (more regulation or overtime wins).
This was another sloppy game and it started slowly for the Capitals. Part of that was their inconsistent play but another reason was the officiating tandem of Kelly Sutherland and Frederick L’Ecuyer. Those two zebras gave Tampa two early power plays while missing some obvious infractions committed by the Bolts. It would go that way most of the night despite Washington carrying the play. Tampa received four power plays to just two for Washington and there were some questionable non-icing calls that went against the Caps late in regulation. They might as well have put Buffalo Sabres or Florida Panthers jerseys on the referees tonight because they were anything but objective.
But the Caps did not play well enough to win despite the bad officiating. They made key mistakes at the wrong time. Mathieu Perreault made a great pass to set up the first Caps goal by Alexander Semin (goal, assist), but he then made a terrible giveaway in his own zone shortly after Mike Green was robbed by Dwayne Roloson (31 saves) with a dandy glove save that would have made it 2-0, Washington. Perreault’s horrible turnover forced Dmitry Orlov to take a penalty and then Teddy Purcell scored on the power play to tie it up. 25 ticks later the Bolts scored again.
Chimera’s late goal (3:17 left) off of a rebound of a Semin shot after Green skated through the Tampa defense seemed to be the type of marker that would propel the Capitals to a victory, or at least a point. But Jay Beagle lost the draw to Stamkos with 1:15 to go and #91 provided the dagger. It was another late loss for Washington and if they miss the playoffs they have a whole slew of these contests to go back and revisit from 2011-12.
So now the Caps will have to sit and wait until Thursday to play again, with the hope that Buffalo loses on Tuesday against the Leafs or on Thursday in Philadelphia. Otherwise they’ll need a win vs the Panthers and a victory against the Rangers on Saturday to be sure to qualify for the post season (assuming the Sabres win in Boston on Saturday too).
Notes: The Washington coaching staff has got to get the power play going. Right now it is just terrible. There is too much passing at the top and not enough shots with traffic. Why not move Alexander Ovechkin down low or at least on the half wall again?…Ovechkin, Nicklas Backstrom, Brooks Laich, and Troy Brouwer were all -2. The Caps need those guys scoring if they are going to win their last two games…Michal Neuvirth (26 saves) was in goal and he was outplayed by Roloson. He needed to stop the Purcell shot. The other two were the result of long shots with traffic…speaking of traffic, the Capitals need to get more of that in front of the other clubs goalie. Washington makes it too easy on opposing netminders too often.
Posted on 30 March 2012 by Nestor Aparicio
There aren’t many bands in the world where you can make a legitimate argument for making a Top 50 and still be throwing at least 50 more great songs OFF THE LIST…but then again, Bruce Springsteen is no “ordinary” artist.
Maybe for the Rolling Stones, U2 and a few others you could make this kind of list, but Bruce Springsteen is certainly about as prolific a songwriter as there’s ever been in our lifetime. And then factor in the wide variety of versions of all of his songs, and well, like I said it’s HARD to think of 50 GREAT songs by any artist.
So, with sincere respect to all the Springsteen fans everywhere who might read this, here’s one Bruce fan’s look at my personal favorites over the years. Honestly, the whole Top 20 here at some point was “my favorite Bruce song” of any particular era or year.
But this is how it stands on the eve of Bruce Springsteen and The E Street coming back to the area after a few years away…and some liner notes…
Nestor’s Top 51 Bruce Springsteen songs…in perfect order!
51. Glory Days — Obvious baseball reference here
50. The Promised Land — Mister I ain’t a boy, no I’m a man
49. Ain’t Got You — I’m a massive fan of the TOL album, which kicks off with this one
48. No Surrender — We learned more from a three minute record than we ever learned in school
47. My Hometown — Great haunting melody
46. Spare Parts — Particularly poignant, having been a teenage parent myself
45. Girls In Their Summer Clothes — The Boss’ ode to beautiful women in the September of his years
44. Waiting On a Sunny Day — A hopelessly happy song and Bruce hams it up in concert
43. Out In The Street — I walk the way I wanna walk
42. Working On a Dream — This one is still a little “young” for me, but I do love this song and what it stands for
41. Because The Night — Patti Smith rocks!
40. Pink Cadillac — Waving to the girls, feeling outta sight
39. Ramrod — Great guitar riff that Lofgren calls a dinosaur
38. Badlands — Poor man wanna be rich, rich man wanna be king, And a king ain’t satisfied till he rules everything (see Angelos, Peter G.)
37. Cadillac Ranch — Another rocker… “Long and dark, shiny and black”
36. Prove It All Night — What it’s like to live and die
35. Point Blank — Haunting ballad, great groove
34. Be True — He played this the first night I ever saw him at the Spectrum in Philly, a B-side I love that Ken Rosenthal once gave me on 45
33. If I Should Fall Behind — Beautifully performed live song in the encore about love & friendship
32. The Rising — Bruce’s fall epic yields an infectious title track
31. Fire — Pointers Sisters did a nice job…You say you don’t like it, but girl I know you’re a liar
30. Downbound Train — Now I work down at the carwash where all it ever does is rain
29. Rosalita — I know your daddy, he don’t dig me ’cause I play in a rock ‘n roll band
28. Dancing In The Dark — My lifetime crush on Courtney Cox continues, she still “starts a fire”
27. One Step Up — Last night I dreamed I held you in my arms, the music was never-ending
26. Hungry Heart — Got a wife and kids in Baltimore, Jack
Here’s video of Bruce Springsteen calling me a dummy:
Go to Page 2 for the Top 25…
Posted on 30 March 2012 by WNST Staff
Comments Off on Wieters Remains Hot In Orioles Win
Posted on 27 March 2012 by Glenn Clark
Honorable Mention: Women’s College Lacrosse-Towson @ Maryland (Tuesday 7pm from Field Hockey & Lacrosse Complex live on AM1570 WNST.net); Auto Racing: NASCAR Goody’s Fast Relief 500 (Sunday 12:30pm from Martinsville, VA live on FOX), IndyCar Series Honda Grand Prix of Alabama (Sunday 2pm from Birmingham live on NBC Sports Network); High School Basketball: McDonald’s All American Games (Girls Wednesday 7pm from Chicago live on ESPNU Boys Wednesday 9:30pm from Chicago live on ESPN); Mixed Martial Arts: Bellator Fighting Championships 63 (Friday 8pm from Uncasville, CT live on MTV2); Boxing: Friday Night Fights-Hank Lundy vs. Dannie Williams (Friday 9pm from Mashantucket, CT live on ESPN2); Soccer: Team USA Women @ Japan (Sunday 6:30am from Sendai, Japan live on ESPN2), MLS-FC Dallas @ DC United (Friday 7:30pm from RFK Stadium live on NBC Sports Network); Bill Maher (Saturday 8pm France-Merrick Performing Arts Center at the Hippodrome, Sunday 8pm Strathmore); Donnell Rawlings (Thursday-Saturday Magooby’s Joke House); “Goon” & “Wrath of the Titans” out in theaters (Friday); “Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close” available on Blu-Ray/DVD (Tuesday)
10. Van Halen/Kool & The Gang (Wednesday 7:30pm Verizon Center), Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band (Sunday 7:30pm Verizon Center); Mac Miller (Saturday 8pm Patriot Center); Blue October (Sunday 7pm Rams Head Live); Mr. Greengenes (Thursday 8pm Recher Theatre); The Bad Plus (Sunday 7:30pm Baltimore Soundstage); All Mighty Senators (Saturday 8pm 8×10 Club); Sleigh Bells (Tuesday 7pm 9:30 Club), The Temper Trap (Saturday 6pm 9:30 Club), Andrew WK (Sunday 7pm 9:30 Club); Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds (Wednesday 8pm Warner Theatre); Patti LaBelle (Friday & Saturday 8pm Strathmore); Leon Redbone (Saturday 7:30pm Birchmere), Three Dog Night (Monday 7:30pm Birchmere); Of Monsters And Men (Monday 8pm Black Cat)
The new Van Halen is TERRIBLE (at least the song is-I haven’t listened to the record), but it doesn’t change how freaking awesome this is…
I don’t worship Bruce Springsteen. (Some of you would have to admit you do.) I DO freaking love this song though…
I have no idea what Three Dog Night even looks like at this point. I would be more than happy to sing along with this though…
Here’s another fantastic tune by a band called Of Monsters And Men. So now we’ve done that…
9. NBA: Washington Wizards @ Indiana Pacers (Thursday 7pm from Indianapolis live on Comcast SportsNet PLUS), Philadelphia 76ers @ Washington Wizards (Friday 7pm from Verizon Center live on Comcast SportsNet), Washington Wizards @ Toronto Raptors (Sunday 6pm from Toronto live on Comcast SportsNet), Milwaukee Bucks @ Washington Wizards (Monday 7pm from Verizon Center live on Comcast SportsNet PLUS)
Since Sonny Weems doesn’t play for the Raptors anymore, he won’t be there when the ‘Zards visit Canada. It’s a shame because if he was he could bring his creepy foot…
I get the feeling there won’t be many folks willing to click on Page 2 or Page 3 after that, but we’re going to keep going here anyway.
(Continued on Page 2…)
Comments Off on Top 10 Baseball Distractions
Posted on 22 March 2012 by WNST Staff
The Seventh Annual Dick Vitale Gala to Honor College Coaching Greats Lou Holtz, Jay Wright and Gary Williams
Net Proceeds from Gala to Benefit Pediatric Cancer Research through The V Foundation for Cancer Research
Cary, N.C.—The V Foundation for Cancer Research, one of the nation’s leading cancer research fundraising organizations, is excited to announce the Seventh Annual Dick Vitale Gala presented by Mountain Dew. The Gala, held on Friday, May 18, 2012, at the Ritz-Carlton in Sarasota, Florida, is hosted by ESPN’s Hall of Fame Sportscaster Dick Vitale and will honor the former head men’s basketball coach for the University of Maryland Gary Williams, Hall of Fame college football coach Lou Holtz, and the head men’s basketball coach for Villanova University Jay Wright. Net proceeds for the event will help fund pediatric cancer research.
“Celebrities from the sports world will focus on raising $1 million for pediatric cancer research,” said Vitale. “This year’s gala will have a new twist as we will end the evening with music and dancing to the Motown sound of The Spinners. Nothing excites me more than the preparation for my annual Dick Vitale Gala. It is so gratifying to see everyone uniting and demonstrating a keen sense of pride and passion to help raise dollars for kids battling cancer.”
Since its inception in 2006, the event has raised over $6.5 million for pediatric cancer research. This year, net proceeds from the Gala will benefit pediatric cancer research initiatives at All Children’s Hospital in St. Petersburg, the Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa and Shands Cancer Center in Gainesville through The V Foundation. The V Foundation has awarded $6.16 million in research grants in the state of Florida.
“Dick has been a tremendous friend to The V Foundation over the years,” said Nick Valvano, CEO of The V Foundation. “I’d like to personally thank Dick and this year’s specials guests Lou Holtz, Gary Williams, and Jay Wright for their support of the Foundation. We are looking forward to another exciting gala this year.”
The Seventh Annual Dick Vitale Gala will begin with cocktails at 6:30 p.m., followed by dinner and an after party featuring a live performance from musical group The Spinners.
Tickets and sponsorship opportunities for the event are now available. For more information or to purchase tickets for the Dick Vitale Gala, please visit www.jimmyv.org/vitale or contact Mary Kenealy at 941-350-0580 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
About The V Foundation
The V Foundation for Cancer Research was founded in 1993 by ESPN and the late Jim Valvano, legendary North Carolina State basketball coach and ESPN commentator. Since 1993, The Foundation has raised more than $120 million to fund cancer research grants nationwide. It awards 100 percent of all direct cash donations and net proceeds of events directly to cancer research and related programs. Administrative and fundraising expenses are paid by the Foundation’s endowment. The Foundation awards grants through a competitive awards process strictly supervised by a Scientific Advisory Board. For more information on The V Foundation or to make a donation, please visit www.jimmyv.org.
Comments Off on Gary Williams To Be Honored At Dick Vitale Gala
Posted on 19 March 2012 by WNST Staff
Peyton Manning Odds
Peyton Manning – Total Passing Yards in the 2012 Regular Season?
Peyton Manning – Total TD Passes in the 2012 Regular Season?
Peyton Manning – Completion % in the 2012 Regular Season?
Peyton Manning – Total Interceptions in the 2012 Regular Season?
Peyton Manning – Will his first pass of the season be complete, incomplete, or an Interception?
Complete -180 (5/9)
Incomplete +150 (3/2)
Interception +1000 (10/1)
Peyton Manning – Will he win 2012 NFL MVP?
Peyton Manning – Will he win 2012 Comeback Player of the Year?
Tim Tebow Odds
Tim Tebow – Which team will he be on for Week 1 of the Regular Season?
Jacksonville Jaguars 3/2
Denver Broncos 7/4
Miami Dolphins 7/4
New England Patriots 7/1
Cleveland Browns 12/1
Tim Tebow – Will he start as a QB in the NFL Week 1 of the Regular Season?
Denver Broncos – Regular Season Wins
Will the Denver Broncos play against The New York Giants in the 2013 Super Bowl?
Will the Denver Broncos win the AFC?
Will the Denver Broncos win the AFC West?
2013 SUPER BOWL XLVII ODDS (odds current, 3/19/2012) (odds on 2/6/2012)
Green Bay Packers 13/2 6/1
New England Patriots 15/2 7/1
New Orleans Saints 10/1 8/1
Denver Broncos 12/1 50/1
Houston Texans 12/1 12/1
San Francisco 49ers 14/1 18/1
Baltimore Ravens 15/1 14/1
Philadelphia Eagles 15/1 12/1
New York Giants 16/1 15/1
Pittsburgh Steelers 18/1 12/1
Dallas Cowboys 20/1 18/1
San Diego Chargers 22/1 16/1
Chicago Bears 25/1 30/1
Detroit Lions 25/1 18/1
Atlanta Falcons 28/1 22/1
New York Jets 30/1 16/1
Carolina Panthers 40/1 50/1
Cincinnati Bengals 40/1 40/1
Miami Dolphins 40/1 35/1
Seattle Seahawks 40/1 60/1
Arizona Cardinals 50/1 30/1
Kansas City Chiefs 50/1 50/1
Oakland Raiders 50/1 50/1
Tennessee Titans 50/1 40/1
Washington Redskins 50/1 60/1
Buffalo Bills 75/1 60/1
St. Louis Rams 75/1 75/1
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 75/1 75/1
Indianapolis Colts 100/1 50/1
Jacksonville Jaguars 100/1 100/1
Minnesota Vikings 100/1 75/1
Cleveland Browns 150/1 100/1
Courtesy of Bovada, (www.Bovada.lv, Twitter: @BovadaLV).
“Our Super Bowl odds have been down for a couple weeks until we knew where Peyton would go since this signing would have such a huge impact on every team’s odds. Denver who we had at 50-1 before we closed the odds have dropped to 12-1 and as I expected the public is taking them regardless as soon as we opened this morning. We were a bit lucky that Denver came out of nowhere in the Manning Sweepstakes so not too many people bet them at 50-1.”
-Kevin Bradley, Bovada.lv Sportsbook Manager
Comments Off on Broncos SB Odds Improve, Ravens Drop After Start of Free Agency