Posted on 09 May 2012 by WNST Staff
Posted on 08 May 2012 by Glenn Clark
Honorable Mention: Boxing-ShoBox Yudel Jhonson vs. Willie Nelson (Friday 11pm from Las Vegas live on Showtime); Mixed Martial Arts: Bellator Fighting Championships 68 (Friday 8pm from Atlantic City live on MTV2); Roller Derby: Charm City Roller Girls (Saturday 5:30pm Du Burns Arena); Soccer: MLS-DC United @ Houston Dynamo (Saturday 4:30pm from Houston live on NBC Sports Network); Pro Lacrosse: MLL Rochester Rattlers @ Chesapeake Bayhawks (Saturday 7pm from Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium live on ESPN3.com); Tennis: ATP Tour/WTA Tour Mutua Madrid Open (Tuesday-Friday 7am Saturday 5am Sunday 9:30am from Madrid live on Tennis Channel); Preseason WNBA: Connecticut Sun @ Washington Mystics (Monday 7pm Verizon Center)
10. Red Hot Chili Peppers (Thursday 7:30pm Verizon Center); Avett Brothers (Friday 8pm Patriot Center); Go-Go’s (Tuesday 7pm Rams Head Live), Andrew Bird (Wednesday 7pm Rams Head Live); Eve 6 (Saturday 7pm Recher Theatre), Lit (Sunday 5:30pm Recher Theatre); Fear Factory (Saturday 7pm Sonar); ALO (Saturday 8pm 8×10 Club); Mike Doughty (Wednesday 8pm Rams Head on Stage), Dar Williams (Saturday 6pm & 9pm Rams Head on Stage), Kenny Wayne Shepherd (Monday 8pm Rams Head on Stage); M83 (Saturday 7pm & 11pm 9:30 Club), Cranberries (Monday 7pm 9:30 Club); The Maine (Saturday 7pm Fillmore Silver Spring); Esperanza Spalding (Saturday 8pm Howard Theatre); Carolina Chocolate Drops (Thursday 7:30pm Birchmere), Chris Isaak (Monday 7:30pm Birchmere); The Gourds (Wednesday 8:30pm State Theatre); Feist (Wednesday 8pm Strathmore); M3 Rock Festival feat. Night Ranger, Kix, Ratt, Queensryche, Skid Row, Warrant, Quiet Riot, LA Guns, Great White (Friday & Saturday Merriweather Post Pavilion), Rob Zombie/Megadeth (Sunday 3pm Merriweather Post Pavilion); DC101 Chili Cook-Off feat. Incubus, Cake, AWOLNation, Angels & Airwaves, Airborne Toxic Event, Neon Trees (Saturday 11am RFK Stadium); Big Bad Voodoo Daddy (Thursday 7pm Friday & Saturday 8pm Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts); Glenn Frey (Monday 8pm Warner Theatre); Silversun Pickups “Neck of the Woods” available in stores/on iTunes (Tuesday)
One of the highlights of my life was getting a MySpace message from the Eve6 drummer. Seriously.
Mike Doughty is super talented.
I’m not really a Rob Zombie type of guy. I’m such a Rob Zombie type of guy though.
I know a guy who worked as a telemarketer his senior year at Perry Hall High School and sang “Short Skirt Long Jacket” by Cake into multiple answering machines. That guy was me.
9. Brad Sherwood/Colin Mochrie (Friday 8pm Modell Performing Arts Center at The Lyric); Christopher Titus (Friday & Saturday Baltimore Comedy Factory); Colin Quinn (Tuesday & Wednesday DC Improv); “Dark Shadows” in theaters (Friday); Baltimore Tattoo Arts Convention (Friday-Sunday Baltimore Convention Center); Preakness Celebration Balloon Festival (Thursday-Saturday Turf Valley); Foodie Experience feat. Andrew Zimmern (Saturday 3pm France-Merrick Performing Arts Center at the Hippodrome)
Colin Quinn is pretty funny. That said, Colin Quinn was never really all that good on Weekend Update…
Hey! Kat Von D has tattoos! Why don’t a post a picture of her here and just move on already…
Posted on 30 April 2012 by Glenn Clark
Honorable Mention: Soccer-MISL DC United @ San Jose Earthquakes (Wednesday 10:30pm from San Jose live on Comcast SportsNet PLUS), DC United @ Toronto FC (Saturday 4pm from Toronto live on Comcast SportsNet PLUS); Pro Lacrosse-MLL Ohio Machine @ Chesapeake Bayhawks (Saturday 7pm from Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium live on Comcast SportsNet/ESPN3.com); Women’s College Lacrosse: NCAA Tournament-Monmouth @ Towson (Saturday 7pm Unitas Stadium)
10. Lynyrd Skynyrd (Friday 6:30pm Pier Six Pavilion), Chicago (Sunday 6pm Pier Six Pavilion); Lupe Fiasco (Thursday 8pm Patriot Center); Slash feat. Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators (Thursday 7pm Rams Head Live), George Clinton & Parliament Funkadelic (Friday 8pm Rams Head Live), P.O.D. (Sunday 6pm Rams Head Live); Marilyn Manson (Tuesday 8pm Fillmore Silver Spring), Korn (Friday 8pm Fillmore Silver Spring); The Bad Plus (Tuesday 8pm Howard Theatre); fun. (Thursday 7pm Friday 8pm 9:30 Club), Eric Hutchinson (Saturday 8pm 9:30 Club), Rusted Root (Sunday 7pm 9:30 Club), Willie Nelson and Family (Monday 7pm 9:30 Club); Bob Schneider (Wednesday 7:30pm Birchmere), Mint Condition (Thursday & Friday 7:30pm Birchmere); Norah Jones “Little Broken Hearts” available in stores/on iTunes (Tuesday)
If I were going to be in town, I’d head to the Inner Harbor to check out Chicago. Honestly…
I like Eric Hutchinson. I also like women. I understand this comes as a surprise to many.
Bob Schneider made one of the best tunes of 2012…
“This is a fun tune from Norah Jones” uttered the man for the first time EVER…
9. Cirque du Soleil Michael Jackson THE IMMORTAL (Saturday & Sunday 1st Mariner Arena); D.L. Hughley (Friday-Sunday Baltimore Comedy Factory); Gilbert Gottfried (Friday-Sunday DC Improv); “The Avengers” in theaters (Friday); “Haywire” available on Blu-Ray/DVD (Tuesday)
I don’t like to speak out of line, but if you don’t go see “The Avengers” within hours of its’ release, you are almost certainly a terrorist.
Tony Stark is the greatest fake human being of all time.
Oh-and did you not remember Haywire? Haywire was the one where Gina Carano…you know I’m just going to go ahead and stop there.
Posted on 24 April 2012 by Glenn Clark
Honorable Mention: Mixed Martial Arts-Bellator Fighting Championships 67 (Friday 8pm from Ontario, Canada live on MTV2); Boxing: Friday Night Fights-Ismayl Sillakh vs. Denis Grachev (Friday 10pm from Austin, TX live on ESPN2), Thomas Oosthuizen vs. Marcus Johnson (Friday 11pm from Miami, OK live on Showtime), Bernard Hopkins vs. Chad Dawson (Saturday 10:15pm from Atlantic City live on HBO), Vyacheslav Senchenko vs. Paulie Malignaggi (Sunday 1pm from Donetsk, Ukraine live on Pay-Per-View); Tennis: ATP Tour Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell (Thursday 7:30am Friday 6:30am Sunday 10am from Barcelona live on Tennis Channel), WTA Tour Porsche Tennis Grand Prix (Saturday 8am & 12pm Sunday 12:30pm from Stuttgart, Germany live on Tennis Channel); Women’s College Lacrosse: Georgetown @ Maryland (Wednesday 7pm Field Hockey & Lacrosse Complex College Park)
10. Rammstein (Wednesday 8pm 1st Mariner Arena), Trans-Siberian Orchestra (Sunday 8pm 1st Mariner Arena); Shinedown (Wednesday 6pm Rams Head Live), All-American Rejects (Sunday 7pm Rams Head Live); Bob Schneider (Saturday 8pm 8×10 Club); Pat McGee Band (Friday & Saturday 8pm Rams Head on Stage); Punch Brothers (Friday 8pm 9:30 Club); Creed (Tuesday 8pm Warner Theatre); Kottonmouth Kings (Wednesday 6:30pm Sonar); Chuck Berry (Saturday 8pm Howard Theatre); Mac Miller (Thursday 6:30pm Pier Six Pavilion); Nellie McKay (Thursday 6:30pm Birchmere); Candlebox (Monday 8pm Fillmore Silver Spring); Sweetlife Festival feat. Kid Cudi, Fitz and the Tantrums, Fun. (Saturday 12pm Merriweather Post Pavilion); Death Cab For Cutie (Monday 8pm Strathmore); Nickelback/Bush/Seether (Monday 6pm Verizon Center); Jack White “Blunderbuss” available in stores/on iTunes (Tuesday)
TSO didn’t post in Charm City this Christmas, and you know someone who was bitter. I’d be willing to go see them Sunday night though, their Beethoven stuff is also awesome…
Does anyone just want to GIVE me tickets to the Punch Brothers show Friday night? Most of you haven’t given me a birthday present in years.
Enjoy skateboarding? Hip-hop? Marijuana? Here’s Kid Cudi…
Jack White is sorta becoming that “I don’t care what he does I’m just going to like it” man for the 21st century. Are we still in the 21st century?
9. “The Raven” and “The Five-Year Engagement” out in theaters (Friday); “Contraband” available on Blu-Ray/DVD (Tuesday); Tom Brokaw (Tuesday 8pm Meyerhoff Symphony Hall); Sugarloaf Crafts Festival (Friday-Sunday Timonium Fairgrounds)
I’d love to dissect Jason Segel’s new flick (I think it actually looks good) or try to figure out what the hell they do at the Sugarloaf Crafts Festival, but I don’t know where else in T10BD I’d be able to post this picture of a frog sitting on a bench like a human…
We all agree this is the greatest picture of all time, right?
Posted on 22 April 2012 by Drew Forrester
Except for one wild spring in 1998, it’s always been the same for the Washington Capitals.
The NHL playoffs come around — and the Caps always seem to find a way to lose.
Sunday at the Verizon Center, they did it again, this time coughing up a golden opportunity to eliminate the Boston Bruins, who staved off elimination with a 4-3 overtime win over the Caps that sends the series back to Beantown for a 7th and deciding game this Wednesday night.
I don’t have to tell you how that one is likely to end.
A month ago, it looked all but hopeless for the Caps, who meandered through a regular season with little enthusiasm and needed a final week surge and a late collapse by the Buffalo Sabres to even qualify for post-season play. But after Saturday’s 4-3 victory at Boston in Game 5, Ovie and Company returned to the friendly confines of their own building in Chinatown with a chance to be the unlikely victor in a playoff series pitting the #2 seed vs. the #7 seed.
They couldn’t get the job done on Sunday, unfortunately.
I called it before the game even started, much to my own chagrin. Prior to the face-off, I submitted a 3-2 OT loss for the Caps on our @WNST Twitter account. It felt almost mean to make that call, but I’ve seen too many Caps playoff games over the years to do anything except predict a loss.
These are the Washington Capitals.
I’ve been following them since 1974.
When the playoffs come around, they just always seem to do something wrong at the worst time to lose a game they either shouldn’t lose or couldn’t afford to lose.
Last year’s 4-0 sweep in the second round at the hands of the Tampa Bay Lightning was actually an anomaly for the Caps. They rarely get bounced out of the post-season that easily. No, no, these Caps always seem to find a way to defeat in the most unimaginable of ways.
As I wrote on Twitter yesterday, when you cut the Caps open, heartache leaks out.
It’s just not in their DNA to win a big playoff game.
Sure, they’ve won some in their lifetime. The Hunter overtime goal on Ron Hextall and the Flyers easily comes to mind. Sergei Federov’s late goal vs. the Rangers a few years ago that gave Washington a Game 7 home win and a series triumph over the Rangers is another. Chimera’s game-winner in overtime last April at the Garden in New York. And back in 1998, the Caps beat everyone put in front of them until the Stanley Cup Finals when the Red Wings pasted them in four straight.
But make no mistake about it, the playoff heartbreak and the post-season losing far, far outweighs the winning.
I don’t know what it is that keeps the Caps from winning in the post-season.
Somehow, someway, they just always fail when the games matter the most. It’s always something. A great scoring chance squandered, a bad defensive decision, a soft goal on the goaltender or, as we saw on Sunday vs. the Bruins, a turnover near their own blue line and a quick transition that led to the game-winning tally.
I’ll watch it on Wednesday night, of course, because it’s Game 7 and it’s for all the marbles and they’re my favorite hockey team.
But I’m nearly certain of what’s going to happen.
It’ll be close and a nailbiter and all that jazz, but when the horn sounds after 60 minutes, the Bruins will somehow squeeze out a narrow win to move on to the next round.
I’ve been watching these guys play since 1974.
They’ll figure out a way to lose on Wednesday night.
Posted on 22 April 2012 by WNST Staff
Posted on 20 April 2012 by WNST Staff
Posted on 17 April 2012 by Glenn Clark
Honorable Mention: Boxing-Jermain Taylor vs. Caleb Truax (Friday 11pm from Biloxi, MS live on Showtime), Abner Mares vs. Eric Morel (Saturday 9pm from El Paso, TX live on Showtime); Tennis: ATP Tour Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters (Tuesday-Friday 4:30am Saturday 7am Sunday 7:30am from Monaco live on Tennis Channel/ESPN3.com); Soccer: MLS-Montreal Impact @ DC United (Wednesday 7:30pm from RFK Stadium live on Comcast SportsNet PLUS), New York Red Bulls @ DC United (Sunday 6pm from RFK Stadium live on ESPN2); Women’s College Lacrosse: ACC Tournament-Maryland vs. Virginia Tech (Friday 2pm from Durham, NC live on ESPN3.com), ACC Championship (Monday 7pm from Durham, NC live on ESPNU)
10. Augustana (Wednesday 7pm Rams Head Live), Portugal. The Man (Thursday 7pm Rams Head Live); Charm City Devils (Saturday 6:30pm Recher Theatre); Colin Hay (Thursday 7:30pm Baltimore Soundstage); The Bacon Brothers (Thursday & Friday 6:30pm & 9pm Rams Head on Stage), WAR (Sunday 5pm & 8pm Rams Head on Stage); Fountains of Wayne/James Iha (Thursday 7pm 9:30 Club), NEEDTOBREATHE (Saturday 8pm Sunday 7pm 9:30 Club); Glen Campbell (Tuesday & Wednesday 7:30pm Birchmere), Bela Fleck & The Flecktones (Monday 7:30pm Birchmere); Bad Brains (Friday 8pm Howard Theater); Daryl Hall/Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings (Friday 8pm Warner Theatre); Bowling For Soup (Saturday 8pm Stevenson University); Johns Hopkins Spring Fair feat. Passion Pit (Friday-Sunday, Passion Pit show Friday 7pm JHU Rec Center); UMBC Quadmania feat. Gym Class Heroes (Friday-Sunday, Gym Class Heroes show Saturday 7pm RAC Arena); Neon Trees “Picture Show” available in stores/on iTunes (Tuesday)
You know I’ll be at Recher Saturday night supporting the very awesome John Allan and CCD. My only issue with “Man of Constant Sorrow” is that I can’t fathom a human being leaving Kentucky…
I don’t particularly know anything about NEEDTOBREATHE but I DO know I dig this tune…
If Daryl Hall had Fitz & The Tantrums as his touring house band, I’d go to every show…
I probably shouldn’t admit how much I dig Neon Trees…
9. Ron White (Thursday 7:30pm Meyerhoff Symphony Hall); Eddie Griffin (Friday & Saturday Magooby’s Joke House); Norm MacDonald (Friday & Saturday Baltimore Comedy Factory); Wendy Liebman (Thursday-Sunday DC Improv); Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol available on DVD/Blu-Ray (Tuesday); Tax Day (Tuesday)
I think I’m gonna go see Norm MacDonald. Because Norm MacDonald is funny. See below.
Also, it’s Tax Day Tuesday. I don’t think I’m getting any money back (do you have to make money for that?), but if I did I know exactly how I’d spend it…
There isn’t anything…in the world…I want more than a LoveSac.
Posted on 09 April 2012 by Glenn Clark
Honorable Mention: Boxing-Brandon Rios vs. Richard Abril/Juan Manuel Marquez vs. Sergey Fedchenko (Saturday 9pm from Las Vegas live on Pay-Per-View), Friday Night Fights-Michael Katsidis vs. Albert Mensah (Friday 11pm from Las Vegas live on ESPN2); Women’s College Lacrosse: Virginia Tech @ Maryland (Saturday 12:30pm Ludwig Field); Tennis: ATP Tour U.S. Men’s Clay Court Championship (Saturday 1pm Sunday 2pm from Houston live on Tennis Channel); Soccer: MLS DC United @ New England Revolution (Saturday 4pm from Foxborough, MA live on Comcast SportsNet); Charm City Roller Girls (Saturday 5:30pm Du Burns Arena)
10. Kaiser Chiefs (Tuesday 7pm Rams Head Live), Rodney Atkins (Wednesday 7pm Rams Head Live), The Ting Tings (Saturday 8pm Rams Head Live); Ballyhoo (Saturday 6pm Recher Theatre); Nada Surf (Tuesday 7pm 9:30 Club), All-American Rejects (Sunday 7pm 9:30 Club); Robert Randolph & The Family Band (Friday 11pm Howard Theater) Yasiin Bey (Mos Def) (Saturday 11:30pm Howard Theater), The Roots (Sunday 9pm Monday 8pm Howard Theater); The Bacon Brothers (Friday & Saturday 7:30pm Birchmere); Alison Krauss & Union Station (Saturday 7:30pm Meyerhoff Symphony Hall); Cris Jacobs (Thursday 9pm Whiskey 1803 Annapolis), Local H (Saturday 9pm Whiskey 1803); Blues Traveler (Sunday 8pm State Theatre); Counting Crows “Underwater Sunshine (or what we did on our summer vacation)”, Alabama Shakes “Boys & Girls” & Florence & The Machine “MTV Unplugged” available in stores/on iTunes (Tuesday)
Robert Randolph Robert Randolph Robert Randolph Robert Randolph. He’s my friend…
I remember seeing Blues Traveler a few years back at Power Plant Live on a Friday night. I swear to God I sang along to every word, even when they did Sublime…
Alabama Shakes TORE UP the stage at RHL Saturday night. I’m so all in on their record…
And I both enjoy FATM and I enjoy MTV Unplugged. How could this get better? What, could Florence Welch combine with Josh Homme from Queens of the Stone Age to cover “Jackson” by Johnny Cash???
9. Jim Norton (Thursday-Saturday DC Improv); Jim Breuer (Friday & Saturday Magooby’s Joke House); Corey Holcomb (Thursday-Saturday Baltimore Comedy Factory); David Sedaris (Thursday 7:30pm Meyerhoff Symphony Hall); “Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol” available on Blu-Ray/DVD (Tuesday); “The Three Stooges” out in theaters (Friday); The Gathering (Friday 5pm Baltimore Museum of Industry); 16th Annual City Paper Brew Fest (Saturday 1pm Broadway Square Fells Point)
Judge me all you want. I still giggle about Jim Breuer in Half Baked…
Also of note in this-Stooges looks terrible and I’d go to The Gathering for THIS from Miss Shirley’s…
And Brew Fest? If I were to end up in Fells Saturday afternoon I would ABSOLUTELY end up spending too much time “sampling” this…
Posted on 03 April 2012 by Glenn Clark
Honorable Mention: Mixed Martial Arts-Bellator Fighting Championships 64 (Friday 8pm from Windsor, Ontario, Canada live on MTV2); Women’s College Lacrosse: Maryland @ North Carolina (Saturday 3pm from Chapel Hill, NC live on ESPN3.com); Soccer: Team USA Women vs. Brazil (Tuesday 7am from Chiba, Japan live on ESPN2), MLS-Seattle Sounders @ DC United (Saturday 7:30pm RFK Stadium)
10. Alabama Shakes (Saturday 8pm Rams Head Live); Cody Canada/Shooter Jennings (Friday 8pm Recher Theatre); Kevin Costner & Modern West (Tuesday & Wednesday 8pm Rams Head on Stage); Snow Patrol (Friday 7pm Saturday 8pm 9:30 Club); Moody Blues (Tuesday 8pm D.A.R. Constitution Hall); Of Monsters And Men “My Head Is An Animal” available in stores/on iTunes (Tuesday)
I’ll be at RHL Saturday night because I’m ALL IN…
I wish I could tell you I enjoyed The Moody Blues. Sadly I do not. But here’s this because there’s not much going on this week…
Now here’s Snow Patrol. Look, if Paul McCartney was playing this week I’d post something of his…
I think I posted the studio version of “Little Talks” by Of Monsters and Men last week. But I’m posting them again this week because THEY’RE REALLY FREAKING GOOD…
9. Mike Epps (Saturday 8pm 1st Mariner Arena); Kevin James (Wednesday 7:30pm Warner Theatre); Royal Comedy Tour feat. Bruce Bruce, Sommore, Mark Curry, Earthquake (Saturday 8pm Show Place Arena); “War Horse” available on Blu-Ray/DVD (Tuesday); “American Reunion” out in theaters (Friday)
We’re going to see “American Reunion” Thursday night/Friday morning at midnight in White Marsh. If you’re not going to see “American Reunion” Thursday night/Friday morning at midnight you’re a terrible human being and I don’t want to be your friend. So just make it simple and come with us. We’ll probably hit Tilted Kilt before then.
But honestly, if you don’t go see this movie you’re just the worst person of all time…