It’s a Happy Wednesday for me because Joaquin Phoenix is back on The Late Show with David Letterman tonight on CBS. Why is this a big deal? You may remember their last get together…
Let’s see what everyone has to say…
I know a lot of folks are fired up because New York Giants RB Brandon Jacobs only got a $10,000 fine for throwing his helmet in the stands. I wouldn’t be so fired up. The league has to make a statement that it is not okay to make physical contact with an official. The way they do that is by levying heavy fines.
John Harbaugh knew he was wrong when he made physical contact with an official. It doesn’t mean his argument wasn’t valid, it doesn’t mean he was trying to harm the official he made contact with.
It just means he was wrong to do it. He’ll remember that the next time he approaches an official with frustration.
2. National Football Post’s Aaron Wilson says Jared Gaither not expected to play Sunday vs. Cleveland Browns
And if I was in the Baltimore Ravens’ front office, I would admittedly be getting frustrated with not having Jared Gaither on the field. If this was supposed to be a 6 week injury, it is hard to stomach him not being able to get back out on the field.
That being said, no one in the organization is debating whether or not Gaither is hurt. He’s clearly dealing with a fairly significant injury, or at least an injury to a significant part of his body.
At this point, the Ravens probably must consider getting Oniel Cousins and/or Tony Moll on the field more. Marshal Yanda is still expected to be the starter with Chris Chester at RG, but thus far the results of that experiment have been uneven at best.
3. BaltimoreRavens.com’s Mike Duffy says Ravens released OT Devin Tyler, CB David Pender from practice squad
We’ll always have the memories.
Looks like the Ravens will need some practice squad help this week. NFP said Tuesday the team tried out OL Xavier Fulton and Marc Dile; as well as CB’s John Bowie, Coye Francies and Ray Fisher.
But if the Ravens REALLY need practice squad help, I think Helen Lindes would make a fine option. (Thanks Guyism!)
4. Carroll County Times’ Aaron Wilson says Tavares Gooden could miss 4-6 weeks with shoulder injury
And a few more things before we move on from the Ravens…
-There was no announcement regarding the roster move made by the Ravens to activate CB Cary Williams from suspension. There was a 4pm deadline yesterday. The team hasn’t said a thing. I’m sure we’ll find out by the time John Harbaugh speaks to the media today.
-The Ravens return to practice at 1 Winning Drive in Owings Mills today, with their focus shifted to their home opener Sunday against the Browns at M&T Bank Stadium. We will have full coverage throughout the day on AM1570 WNST, at WNST.net and on Twitter (@WNST). We’re expected to hear from Harbaugh, Joe Flacco, Ray Lewis and many more Ravens players; as well as conference calls with Eric Mangini and Joshua Cribbs. Make sure you stick with us!
5. The AP’s Howard Ulman says Ty Wigginton homered as Orioles crushed Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park
They didn’t just win, they punished the Red Sox in every single way. So much so that even Glenn Clark managed to drag himself away from the season premiere of “Glee” to watch the game a bit.
I’m kidding. I didn’t watch any of Glee last night. It’s still waiting on my DVR.
What else can I say here? This late summer version of Spring Training has been a lot of fun. When they play another real game, I hope it’s just as exciting!
6. The AP/WNST.net offer numerical evidence of win
The Birds got help from some other folks besides Wigginton last night.
Brad Bergesen gave up just one run on five hits in six innings (plus four walks) to improve to 8-10.
Adam Jones was 3-4 and scored a pair of runs.
Nick Markakis was 2-5 and also scored a pair of runs.
Brian Roberts went 1-3 and walked twice, also scoring two runs.
So go look at the numbers. Then come right back here. Divya Lalitha will be waiting for you. (Thanks The Smoking Jacket!)
7. The Sun’s Jeff Zrebiec says Brian Roberts injured shoulder but didn’t exit Tuesday night win over Sox
And before we move on from the O’s, a couple of things…
-INF Julio Lugo rejoined the team last night in Beantown after dealing with a pinched nerve. According to MLB.com, Buck Showalter is in no rush to get him back on the field.
-The Birds will try to polish off a sweep of the Sox tonight at Fenway Park. First pitch between John Lackey and Kevin Millwood is at 7:10pm and the game can be seen on MASN.
8. Baltimore Business Journal’s Ryan Sharrow says M&T Bank Stadium awarded 2014 NCAA Lacrosse Final Four
Did you miss Drew Forrester’s chat with Maryland Office of Sports Marketing director Terry Hasseltine Wednesday on “The Morning Reaction” on AM1570 WNST? Make sure you head over to the BuyAToyota.com Audio Vault here at WNST.net to hear Hasseltine’s thoughts on the Final Four, the World Cup, IndyCar racing, etc.
Some other things you can hear in the Audio Vault include:
- Rich Dubroff (Carroll County Times)-who talked Ravens and Orioles with Drew Wednesday morning
- Mike Wilkening (Pro Football Weekly)-who went around the NFL with Drew Wednesday morning
- Rex Hoggard (Golf Channel)-who previewed the TOUR Championship and Ryder Cup with Drew Wednesday morning
- Matt Mitrione (UFC Fighter) and Reed Harris (WEC General Manager)-who joined John Rallo and Thyrl Nelson on “The MMA Report” Tuesday
- Johnny Rhodes (Former Terrapins Guard)-who discussed the upcoming Gary Williams event at Sports Legends at Camden Yards with Thyrl Tuesday
- Gregg Rosenthal (ProFootballTalk.com/NBC Sports)-who went around the NFL with Rex Snider Tuesday
It’s all in the Audio Vault. Once again, I’ve planned your day for you. Just send all checks to 1550 Hart Rd.
9. D1scourse’s Patrick Stevens says Maryland OL Justin Gilbert out for season, RJ Dill and Pete DeSouza to start at OT
Clearly Ralph Friedgen’s Terps could use some help on the O-Line. I think they should seriously consider Christina De Kerpel. (Thanks Busted Coverage!)
I’d REALLY like to go on this trip. Mostly for this reason…
And finally, I leave you with this.
It’s time to think about “The Greatest Song of All Time This Week.” Here’s my new version of TGSOATTW; as John Legend and The Roots got together to record a new cover album called “Wake Up!” The song is called “Hard Times”, and it is QUITE good…
And the “retro” version of The Greatest Song of All Time This Week? In honor of Barry Aparicio’s 26th birthday today-he told me his favorite Michael Jackson song of all time is “Man in the Mirror.” It’s a good song, he’s a good man, so happy birthday Barry…
Flexing my mic muscles since 1983…