It’s a Happy Thursday for me because Lil’ Wayne is getting out of prison today (or at worst in the next 36 hours). If you don’t know, I LOVE me some Weezy…
…so much so that it inspired my greatest Halloween costume EVER…
Let’s see what everyone has to say…
1. WNST.net’s Glenn Clark says Ray Lewis disappointed Shawne Merriman won’t be headed to Charm City
That being said, I never REALLY thought Shawne Merriman was coming to Baltimore. We knew John Harbaugh and company weren’t putting in a waiver claim for a guy whose career has been marked by injuries and ineffectiveness in recent years; and I always thought there would be another NFL team that would want “Lights Out” more.
But I NEVER thought it would be the Buffalo Bills.
This is the part where I’m supposed to say, “As far as the Ravens are concerned, they’ll be fine.” Unfortunately, I have no idea if they will or won’t be. They’re 24th in the NFL in sacks right now, and there’s no simple solution for how the number will improve.
But I don’t think Shawne Merriman would have made the difference in-season.
2. BaltimoreRavens.com’s Mike Duffy says Zbikowski missed practice Wednesday
And everything points to the idea that Zbikowski won’t play again Sunday when the Ravens face the Miami Dolphins at M&T Bank Stadium.
The Ravens will be okay at safety with Ed Reed healthy. The other question is punt return, where there was hope that WR Donte’ Stallworth could step in immediately as he is expected to return from a broken foot Sunday.
However, Stallworth was not on the field during the Special Teams portion of practice Wednesday. That doesn’t mean he still couldn’t be involved, but it makes you think that maybe the team is trying to limit how much he does in his first game back.
Should Stallworth not be an option, the job would presumably be Lardarius Webb’s against the Fins.
3. National Football Post’s Aaron Wilson says Matt Birk a bigger fan of St. Paul restaurant than Randy Moss
Should this really be considered Ravens “news”? Eh…probably not.
But does this particular subject reach home with me.
I mean, this would be like me arranging catering from The Fullerton Pub & The Down Under Restaurant only to have Ryan Chell go off about not liking the food.
My initial thought wouldn’t just be “how dare you?”. My initial thought would really be something along the lines of “what kind of idiot are you? This food is delicious!”
4. CSNBaltimore.com’s John Eisenberg says Joe Flacco gets to gauge himself against fellow ’08 NFL Draft selection Chad Henne
This is actually a very unique couple of weeks. Not only does Flacco get to gauge himself against Henne, but he also gets to gauge himself against Matt Ryan in two weeks at the Georgia Dome.
And it isn’t just the quarterbacks, either.
These two weeks will be a good gauge for the entire team, as everything about the Dolphins and the Atlanta Falcons is similar to what the Baltimore Ravens are these days.
They’re balanced. They have young QB’s. They have coaches who are in their 3rd year and have experienced success early in their careers.
And I’m gonna go out a limb here, but I get the feeling they’re also all three teams who enjoy this picture of Melissa Giraldo. (Thanks DJMick via Busted Coverage!)
5. USA Today’s Jim Corbett says Ozzie Newsome may have put together best O-Line, D-Line combo in NFL
And before we move on from the Ravens, a couple of things…
-We’ll be back out at 1 Winning Drive in Owings Mills today; and we’re expecting to hear from coordinators Cam Cameron, Greg Mattison and Jerry Rosburg. Make sure you’re tuned in to AM1570 WNST and following us on Twitter @WNST throughout the day.
-Did you miss Ravens FB Le’Ron McClain with Drew Forrester Thursday on “The Morning Reaction” on AM1570 WNST? Make sure you head over to the BuyAToyota.com Audio Vault here at WNST.net today to check it out. Some other things you can find in the Audio Vault include…
- Karl Alzner (Washington Capitals Defenseman)-who talked puck with Drew Thursday morning
- Sean Salisbury (“Sean Unfiltered”-Voice America Sports Radio)-who went around the NFL with Drew Thursday
- David Pollack (Maryland/Miami Color Analyst-ESPNU)-who previewed the showdown between the Terps and ‘Canes with Drew Thursday
- Plenty of audio from 1 Winning Drive Wednesday-including John Harbaugh, Joe Flacco, Ray Lewis, Ray Rice and Terrell Suggs
- Scott Miller (CBSSports.com)-who talked MLB offseason with Rex Snider Wednesday on “The Afternoon Drive”
- John Czarnecki (FoxSports.com)-who went around the NFL with Rex Wednesday
- Tom Brattan (Maryland O-Line Coach)-who joined Thyrl Nelson Wednesday for “The Terrapins Coaches’ Report”
- Steve Henson (Yahoo! Sports)-who wrapped up the World Series and talked hot stove with Thyrl Wednesday on “The Mobtown Sports Beat”
It’s all there in the Audio Vault, so once again-your day is planned. I can’t believe how good I am to you…
6. The Sun’s Dan Connolly says Orioles will hire Wayne Kirby as 1B/Outfield coach
Is there any chance he could still steal 25 bases for the Birds this season?
Or could his brother (Terry Kirby) could return punts for the Ravens?
Otherwise-I don’t really know how much it means to have Wayne Kirby as 1st base coach. Maybe he’s a GREAT addition, maybe he’s just an addition. It’s hard to really make a statement like that at this point.
It IS kinda cool to have a first base coach whose baseball cards I definitely collected a ton of however.
7. MLB.com’s Bryan McTaggert says O’s could spend more money at 1B in offseason than any other position
Once again-problem pinpointed. Now-can we just find a damn solution already?
Unfortuantely, I don’t think Kassie Lyn Logsdon will be an option-even if she would have been the team’s best bet. (Thanks The Smoking Jacket!)
8. ESPN.com’s Heather Dinich says Miami RB Damien Berry will miss Saturday’s game against Maryland
This is starting to get frightening.
How could so many things be going against the Hurricanes going into this game?
Randy Shannon said there’s a 75% chance that Jacory Harris won’t play Saturday, and their top RB is out Saturday as well.
I would STILL remind everyone that Miami has MUCH more talent than Maryland, but this continued good news really makes me think Maryland might actually have a chance.
A chance. Let’s not get carried away.
But if Jacory Harris and Damien Berry were healthy, I’m not certain I would have given them much of a chance at all.
9. LoyolaGreyhounds.com says Jimmy Patsos’ team opens season with exhibition contest vs. Shepherd tonight at Reitz Arena
I dated a girl who went to Shepherd. I know way more about Shepherdstown, West Virginia than I’d ever want to admit. There’s a Clarion Inn there. Don’t ask me any follow up questions to that statement.
For the record, the girl I was dating was NOT Raica Oliveira. If it was, you could ask me as many follow up questions as you wanted. (Thanks Guyism!)
10. WNST.net’s Drew Forrester says new facility needed to save horse racing in Maryland
Build a track downtown. Nab the city’s slots license and pair them together. Make it NICE. Sorta like what David Cordish is doing at Arundel Mills…
There’s no reason why this HAS to be the death of horse racing. It just has to be the death of business as usual. That’s tough for a lot of folks to understand…
And finally, I leave you with this.
Am I a nerd if I want to go see Megamind this weekend? It actually looks kinda cool…
Flexing my mic muscles since 1983…