The Bears (1-1) are set for the second of four consecutive road tests when they travel west to face the Akron Zips on Saturday (Sept. 15). The Zips enter the 2012 season under the leadership of first-year head coach Terry Bowden. Akron (0-2) is coming off a 41-38 overtime loss at FIU. Morgan State fell 56-34 at Buffalo in a game that was decided in UB Stadium. Game time at InfoCision Stadium is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. and will be broadcast by ESPN3.
THE BEARS-ZIPS MATCHUP
• The Bears and Zips will meet for the second time in history. Akron leads the series1-0 following a 41-0 shutout victory of the Bears on Sept. 12, 2009 during the grand opening of InfoCision Stadium-Summa Field.
• Morgan State will enter the 2012 season with plenty of veterans … the Bears’ roster includes 22 seniors.
• Seth Higgins returns as the Bears starting QB … He completed 97-of-186 passes for 1,116 yards, including 9 TDs as a true freshman. He was sacked three times before being replaced in the 2nd quarter by backup QB Robert Council.
• Morgan State returns three of its top rushers from last season: Travis Davidson (792 yards), Tracy Martin (317 yards) and Brian Mann (101 yards).
• Travis Davidson currently leads the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC) in rushing and ranks No. 8 in the FCS with 243 yards (121.5 avg/g). He also leads the MEAC in scoring (12 Pts/G).
• Robert Council checked into the ballgame against Buffalo toward the end of the first quarter and provided a spark for the Bears … Council completed 12-of-16 passes for 161 yards and two touchdowns, and ran for 23 yards.
• Kenneth Ridley emerged as a shutdown cornerback in 2011 and ranked T-No. 2 in the MEAC with four interceptions…he collected his first pick of the season vs. Sacred Heart in Week 1.
• RB Brian Mann posted a career-high 74 yards on 17 carries and posted a 5 yard TD run in the 3rd quarter at Buffalo.
• DE Richard Ndubueze was selected to the 2012 Preseason All-MEAC First Team … he has missed the first two games due in unspecified issues.
• Chris Flowers leads the MEAC in kick returns and currently ranks No. 4 in the country by averaging 33.8 yards per return.
• LB Elandon Roberts recorded his first career interception and added 7 tackles and was selected MEAC Rookie of the Week by the league.
• Statistically, the Bears posted a season-high 366 yards of total offense (78 plays) against Buffalo, while the Bulls finished with 571 yards on just 56 plays.
• Jawon Chisholm broke the program’s freshman rushing record with 961 yards and five touchdowns last season. He finished the 2011 campaign with 84 yards receiving and added one passing touchdown in four passing attempts. He enters the season as an All-MAC candidate.
• Through two games, the UA defense has recorded five sacks (three against FIU last Saturday), which ties for fourth most in the league. The Zips recorded 11 sacks over 12 total games in 2011.
Morgan State will travel to take on the Aggies of North Carolina A&T on Sept. 29th. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:30 pm. at Aggies Stadium and the game will be televised by ESPNU.