For the week starting Tuesday, February 2nd-Monday, February 8th
Honorable Mention-Women’s College Basketball: Georgia Tech @ Maryland (Friday 8:30pm from Comcast Center live on Comcast SportsNet), Virginia @ Maryland (Monday 7pm from Comcast Center live on Comcast SportsNet); Exhibition College Lacrosse: Maryland vs. Loyola, Cornell, Drexel (Saturday 12pm from College Park), Villanova @ UMBC (Saturday 1pm from UMBC Stadium); Bowling: Chris Paul PBA Celebrity Invitational (Sunday 2pm from New Orleans live on ESPN); High School Basketball: Loyola @ John Carroll (Tuesday 3:30pm), Joppatowne @ Edgewood (Tuesday 6:45pm), Calvert Hall @ Archbishop Spalding (Tuesday 7pm)
10. Citizen Cope (Thursday 8pm & Friday 9pm Recher Theatre), Virginia Coalition (Saturday 8pm 8×10 Club), Lil’ Wayne “Rebirth” available on CD (Tuesday), “Zombieland” available on DVD & Blu-Ray (Tuesday)
Not ONLY did Cope sell out two more nights at Recher (after he sold out 3 straight last year), but this year he’s coming ahead of a new CD, “The Rainwater LP”. I think it might be good……
In case you forgot, Citizen Cope WAS the guy that told us about George from Baltimore….wasting his money at Pimlico….sorta like Rick from Reisterstown…..
And I will ALSO be at the Virginia Coalition show Saturday night, because 8×10 is just about the best place….IN THE WORLD….to see a show, and because I love me some Virginia Coalition…
But seriously, do the internets have no better video of “Walk to Work” than this???
Also, I’ve been looking forward to the new Weezy stuff for a while…..
And while I didn’t get to see Zombieland, I heard good things….
9. Lingerie Bowl VII (Broadcast Sunday at halftime of Super Bowl via LFLUS.com)
For the record, I do not believe that the reason Anita Marks was let go by CBS Radio was because she intended to play quarterback in the game.
(Edit from GMC: Look, you make your own “that’s because they want pretty girls in the game” joke. I’m not going there. I think she’s a very pretty girl. And I can’t believe you’d say such a thing.)
This is really the bottom line here. Whether they’re playing football or cross-stitching, I’m pretty sure I’d be watching just about ANYTHING these ladies would be doing…..
8. PGA: Northern Trust Open (Thursday & Friday 5pm live on Golf Channel; Saturday 3pm & Sunday 2:30pm live on NBC. All golf from Pacific Palisades, CA)
I’ve never watched The Golf Channel, mostly because apparently all they ever show is golf. If they showed something else-like horse racing, college soccer or even Jersey Shore re-runs, I would have probably watched before.
However, word is that Win McMurry will be joining the Golf Channel. I might watch……
…but probably not, because I’m guessing they’ll still be showing golf.
7. NBA: Wizards @ Knicks (Wednesday 7:30pm from New York live on Comcast SportsNet), Wizards @ Magic (Friday 7pm from Orlando live on Comcast SportsNet), Hawks @ Wizards (Saturday 7pm from Verizon Center live on Comcast SportsNet)
I heard a rumor that the ‘Zards might be interested in trying to trade Gilbert Arenas in the offseason if they can’t void his contract. This made me think about who they might be able to get in a deal…..
Yeah, some good deals on the table there….
6. NASCAR: Daytona 500 Qualifying (Saturday 1pm from Daytona live on FOX), Budweiser Shootout (Saturday 8pm from Daytona live on FOX)
Oh yay! NASCAR is back!!! Someone….somewhere….is excited.
I’m sure you’re all wondering who it is that I’m picking to win the Winston Cup this year (Edit from GMC: It’s called the Sprint Cup now?!?!? Why didn’t they tell anyone???), so I thought I’d let you know. I’m picking Lightning McQueen!!!
5. NHL: Capitals @ Bruins (Tuesday 7pm from Boston live on Comcast SportsNet), Capitals @ Rangers (Thursday 7pm from New York live on Comcast SportsNet), Thrashers @ Capitals (Friday 7pm from Verizon Center live on Comcast SportsNet PLUS), Penguins @ Capitals (Sunday 12pm from Verizon Center live on NBC)
I am a fan of Dan Steinberg’s work with the DC Sports Bog, unlike the teams in DC he covers (like the Caps)-that I am not a fan of. Last week, he pointed out that Glory Days has been forced to give away 100,000+ wings due to a promotion that involves the Caps scoring 5+ goals in a game.
Which gives me a great idea for how the Orioles can re-connect with the fanbase! How about “Free Wings every time a starting pitcher allows 5 or more runs in 5 or less innings?!?!?!?!?”
4. UFC 109: Randy Couture vs. Mark Coleman (Saturday 10pm from Las Vegas live on Pay-Per-View)
Don’t get me wrong-I love Dana White as much as anyone, but I’m not really 100% on this one. I mean, aren’t these guys like a combined 247 years old???
Seriously, were these guys not available???
3. National Signing Day (Wednesday- Live coverage on ESPNU & CBS College Sports during day); University of Maryland recruiting celebration (Wednesday 5pm Riggs Alumni Center in College Park)
As a reminder, if you stop by to see one of these prep athletes’ press conferences at a local high school-keep this in mind…..
2. College Basketball: Maryland @ Florida State (Thursday 9pm from Tallahassee live on RAYCOM Sports/WNUV 54 locally), North Carolina @ Maryland (Sunday 2pm from Comcast Center live on Comcast SportsNet locally, Fox Sports Net nationally); Florida A&M @ Morgan State (Saturday 4pm Hill Field House), Bethune-Cookman @ Morgan State (Monday 7:30pm Hill Field House); Towson @ Drexel (Tuesday 7pm from Philadelphia live on The Comcast Network), James Madison @ Towson (Saturday 4pm Towson Center); Vermont @ UMBC (Saturday 3pm RAC Arena), Maine @ UMBC (Monday 7pm RAC Arena); Bethune-Cookman @ Coppin State (Friday 7pm from Coppin State Physical Education Complex live on ESPNU), Florida A&M @ Coppin State (Monday 7:30pm Coppin State Physical Education Complex)
I can’t even begin to explain how much I don’t like North Carolina.
I don’t like Dean Smith. I don’t like Roy Williams. I don’t like Michael Jordan. I don’t like Jerry Stackhouse. I don’t like Rasheed Wallace. I don’t like Vince Carter. I don’t like Brendon Haywood. I don’t like Sean May. I don’t like Raymond Felton. I don’t like Tyler Hansbrough. I don’t like Larry Drew.
But there is one guy I despise even more than any of them……
WHY THE HELL IS THEIR MASCOT A RAM?!?!?!?!?!? You can say what you want about my mascot being a turtle, but AT LEAST IT MAKES SENSE!!!!!!!
That’s why you name the team after something that you can actually have a mascot for.
How stupid is that???
(Edit from GMC: Please spare me the “that’s not funny because the kid who was their mascot a few years ago died in a car accident” stuff. It’s the mascot I have a problem with.)
1. Super Bowl XLIV: Colts vs. Jets (Sunday 6pm from Miami live on CBS)
This is a simple case of good vs. evil. If you’re rooting for Indianapolis, please NEVER TALK TO ME AGAIN.
I will (of course) be rooting for New Orleans, partly because this gal will be too……
Flexing my mic muscles since 1983……