Honorable Mention: AIFA-New Jersey Revolution @ Baltimore Mariners (Sunday 4pm 1st Mariner Arena); MISL: Rockford Rampage @ Baltimore Blast (Friday 7:35pm from 1st Mariner Arena streamed live at B2liveTV.com), Philadelphia KiXX @ Baltimore Blast (Saturday 7:35pm from 1st Mariner Arena streamed live at B2liveTV.com); NBA: Rockets @ Wizards (Tuesday 7pm from Verizon Center live on Comcast SportsNet), Hawks @ Wizards (Thursday 7pm from Verizon Center live on Comcast SportsNet), Wizards @ Pistons (Friday 8pm from Detroit live on Comcast SportsNet PLUS), Magic @ Wizards (Saturday 7pm from Verizon Center live on Comcast SportsNet & NBA TV), Wizards @ Jazz (Monday 9pm from Salt Lake City live on Comcast SportsNet); Tennis: ATP BNP Paribas Open (Saturday & Sunday 2pm, Monday 3pm from Indian Wells, CA live on Tennis Channel)
10. They Might Be Giants (Friday 8pm Recher Theatre), Dropkick Murphys (Tuesday 7pm 9:30 Club), JET & Carbon Leaf (Friday 7:15am 9:30 Club), Shamrockfest featuring The Roots, Train, etc. (Saturday 1pm RFK Stadium), Five For Fighting (Tuesday 8pm Lisner Auditorium), Ron White (Saturday 7pm & 10pm Warner Theatre), Harland Williams (Thursday-Sunday DC Improv)
It’s not exactly the GREATEST week of live shows in the world…but there are some interesting things here….
For example, while I won’t be able to make it to Shamrockfest Saturday, I SERIOUSLY support the concept. I also support The Roots, who have been one of the greatest things to happen to music…like…ever….
The show Friday morning at 9:30 Club is called “Kegs and Eggs”, which is also a concept I’m fully behind. Of course, drinking beer while eating eggs is something I like to just call “Breakfast” myself…
And since BOTH events include Carbon Leaf, I’m reminded that Carbon Leaf is SO FREAKING AWESOME…..
I don’t usually go to the store to buy music anymore-I usually choose iTunes these days. But no matter what I do, I’m totally confused about this whole Jimi Hendrix thing. You mean to tell me that Jimi Hendrix has been dead for FORTY YEARS and they’re just now discovering unreleased music????
I mean, even 2Pac stopped putting out new music a few years back, and he’s only been gone for about 15 years! What’s next, some unreleased material from Bach???
If I was headed to Best Buy (or wherever it is people go to buy new releases these days) Tuesday, I’d probably shell out the cash for the Shawn Michaels DVD set, truthfully. I’m a total mark for HBK….
8. Golf: WGC CA Championship (Thursday & Friday 2pm live on Golf Channel, Saturday 2pm Sunday 3pm live on NBC. All golf from Doral, FL), PGA Puerto Rico Open (Thursday-Saturday 6:30, Sunday 7:30pm from Rio Grande, PR live on Golf Channel)
Look, I don’t have a freaking clue why John Daly started modeling underwear a few weeks ago….
But I do know that I personally think Tiger Woods’ friend Loredana Jolie would have been a better choice….
7. College Football: Maryland Pro Timing Day (Wednesday Cole Field House & Gossett Team House)
HOLY CRAP I HAVE TO KNOW HOW MANY 225 POUND REPS TRAVIS IVEY CAN DO!!!!!!
My suggestion to Bruce Campbell (shoe-in), Terrell Skinner, Nolan Carroll, Chris Turner and all others participating Wednesday in College Park: Run faster than Rich Eisen….
And before we move off the topic of Bruce Campbell, as great as his Old Spice commercial was….
This is better….
6. NHL: Hurricanes @ Capitals (Wednesday 7pm from Verizon Center live on Comcast SportsNet & NHL Network), Lightning @ Capitals (Friday 7pm from Verizon Center live on Comcast SportsNet), Capitals @ Blackhawks (Sunday 12:30pm from Chicago live on NBC)
Remember when the whole country had hockey fever about a week ago? So….ummm…..whatever happened to that????
For the record, I literally don’t think I can name a single player for Tampa Bay. Vincent LeCavalier or whatever the hell that french guy’s name was? Is he on the team?
I know Patrick Kane plays for the Hawks, but I don’t think I can name anyone else. Maybe Stan Mikita? Wayne & Garth?
5. College Lacrosse: Towson @ Maryland (Saturday 11am from Byrd Stadium live on WMAR2 & ESPNU), Penn @ Maryland (Monday 3pm Ludwig Field); UMBC @ Johns Hopkins (Tuesday 7pm from Homewood Field live on ESPNU); Duke @ Loyola (Saturday 3pm from Ridley Athletic Complex live on AM1570 WNST); Lycoming @ Stevenson (Saturday 1pm Caves Athletic Complex)
I’d like to congratulate everyone in the Greyhounds family (even you Chris Bonetti) on the opening of your new stadium. It’s a big deal.
Of course, it would be a bigger deal if you were opening KITCHEN Stadium….
4. Boxing: Manny Pacquiao vs. Joshua Clottey (Saturday 9pm from Arlington, TX live on HBO PPV)
I wasn’t NEARLY as excited about this fight until I saw that Manny Pacquiao may or may not be dating someone named Krista Ranillo….
(Edit from GMC: Attention attractive females-if I allow another man to punch me in the face repeatedly, will you sleep with me? A simple “yes” or “no” will do here.)
3. High School Basketball State Semifinals: 1A-Allegany vs. Dunbar (Friday 3pm), Snow Hill vs. Owings Mills (Friday 5pm)-Final Saturday 1pm; 2A-North Carroll vs. Gwynn Park (Friday 7pm), Easton vs. City (Friday 9pm)-Final Saturday 6pm; 3A-Blake vs. Thomas Stone (Thursday 3pm), Stephen Decatur vs. Milford Mill (Thursday 5pm)-Final Saturday 3pm; 4A-Springbrook vs. Eleanor Roosevelt (Thursday 7pm), Old Mill vs. Urbana (Thursday 9pm)-Final Saturday 8pm. All games from Comcast Center.
As a reminder, if you’re poking around College Park this weekend….
It’s illegal, and it isn’t cool. (Edit from GMC: You know what, cast your own judgments on what is or isn’t cool. I’m sick of you always leaving it up to me. It’s DEFINITELY illegal though.)
2. Ed Block Courage Awards (Tuesday 6:15pm Martin’s West)
Look, I think Dawan Landry, Michael Vick, EJ Henderson, Shawne Merriman, Marlin Jackson, Mike Furrey, et. al. are as deserving as anyone might be to win one of these awards; but I can’t help but wonder where a certain other NFL quarterback is on this list…..
….my apologies, apparently they aren’t the Ed Block “Liquid Courage” Awards. My apologies.
1. College Basketball: ACC Tournament: Maryland vs. North Carolina/Georgia Tech winner (Friday 7pm from Greensboro live on Raycom Sports-WNUV 54 locally, ESPN2 nationally-Championship Game Sunday 2pm from Greensboro live on Raycom/ESPN); MEAC Tournament Championship Game (Saturday 2pm from Winston-Salem live on ESPN2); Big East Tournament Championship Game (Saturday 9pm from New York live on ESPN); SEC Tournament Championship Game (Sunday 12pm from Nashville live on ABC); Big Ten Tournament Championship Game (Sunday 3:30pm from Indianapolis live on CBS); Big 12 Tournament Championship Game (Saturday 6pm from Kansas City live on ESPN); Pac 10 Tournament Championship Game (Saturday 6pm from Los Angeles live on CBS); America East Tournament Championship Game (Saturday 12pm from Burlington, VT live on ESPN); Atlantic 10 Tournament Championship Game (Sunday 1pm from Atlantic City live on CBS); Conference USA Tournament Championship Game (Saturday 11:35am from Tulsa, OK live on CBS); Selection Sunday (coverage Sunday 6pm live on CBS/ESPN/AM1570 WNST)
So….the closest Bojangles to Greensboro is where???
Look, if you’re a Maryland fan traveling to the ACC Tournament this weekend, let’s meet up somewhere. You plan it. I’ll just show up and drink your beer. If that’s okay. If it isn’t, don’t invite me. If you’re a Duke fan traveling to Greensboro this weekend for the ACC Tournament, I hope you have a miserable weekend. If you’re a Duke fan traveling to Greensboro this weekend who is willing to buy me a beer, let me know.
I know this much. I’d pay any amount of money to see this again…..
Flexing my mic muscles since 1983…..