Honorable Mention: Tennis-Madrid Open (Tuesday-Saturday 8am, Sunday FINAL 12:30pm from Madrid live on Tennis Channel); Golf: PGA Valero Texas Open (Thursday & Friday 3pm live on Golf Channel, Saturday & Sunday 3pm live on CBS. All golf from San Antonio.), Champions Tour Regions Charity Classic (Friday & Saturday 6:30pm, Sunday 7pm from Hoover, AL on Golf Channel), Bell Micro LPGA Classic (Thursday 6:30pm, Friday 12pm, Saturday & Sunday 4pm from Mobile, AL live on Golf Channel); Soccer: MLS-Colorado Rapids @ DC United (Saturday 7:30pm from RFK Stadium live on Comcast SportsNet); Women’s NCAA Lacrosse Tournament: Marist @ Maryland (Saturday 12pm College Park), Towson @ Virginia (Sunday 1pm Charlottesville); MIAA High School Lacrosse: Loyola Blakefield @ Boys’ Latin (Wednesday 4pm), Mt. St. Joseph @ St. Paul’s (Wednesday 4pm); Robin Hood out in theaters (Friday)
10. Swimming: Charlotte UltraSwim (Friday-Sunday 6pm from Charlotte live on Universal Sports)
Do I have a “Michael Phelps is headed back to the pool so I should make a pot joke” joke prepared? I do not.
Instead, I pass this along. I don’t know who Chloe Sutton is (you know, other than the fact that she’s a swimmer participating in this Charlotte event), but I think I like her…
…you know, she seems nice.
9. Pro Wrestling: TNA Sacrifice (Sunday 8pm from Orlando live on Pay-Per-View)
Reasons to watch a TNA Pay-Per-View:
A. Rob Van Dam is AWESOME.
B. Jeff Hardy is also AWESOME.
C. The chicks are hot.
8. Auto Racing: NASCAR Autism Speaks 400 (Sunday 1pm from Dover live on FOX)
If you’re piling on the Rex Snider bus and headed up to The Monster Mile this weekend, please say hello to this guy for me while you’re there…
Oh, and then ask Dad to try to remember to wear pants on Mother’s Day next year…geez.
7. NHL Playoffs: Blackhawks/Canucks (Game 6 Tuesday 9:30pm from Vancouver live on VERSUS, Game 7 if necessary Thursday 8pm from Chicago live on VERSUS); Canadiens/Penguins (Game 7 Wednesday 7pm from Pittsburgh live on VERSUS); Bruins/Flyers (Game 6 Wednesday 8pm from Philadelphia live on VERSUS, Game 7 if necessary Friday 7pm from Boston live on VERSUS)
You mean to tell me the Habs have a chance to make BOTH the fans in the Steel City AND the fans in Washington completely miserable in the same postseason?!?!?
I have never supported anything from Canada they way I now support the Canadiens. Like my pal Sam Angell said via Facebook, do it for Youppi!!!
6. NBA Playoffs: Cavaliers/Celtics (Game 5 Tuesday 8pm from Cleveland live on TNT, Game 6 Thursday 8pm from Boston live on ESPN, Game 7 if necessary Sunday 3:30pm from Cleveland live on ABC)
Boy, the 2nd round of the NBA Playoffs have sure been…uhh…dreadful???
I was gonna root for the Atlanta Hawks because Joe Smith is down there-but…apparently no one informed them that they beat the Bucks and actually ADVANCED to the next round. You would have thought a courtesy call would have at least been nice.
You don’t need to wonder about who I AM rooting for, as it is rather obvious. VIVA.LOS.SUNS!!!!
5. MMA-Strikeforce: Heavy Artillery (Saturday 10pm from St. Louis live on Showtime), Bellator Fighting Championships XVIII (Thursday 8pm from Monroe, LA live on Fox Sports Net); Boxing-Amir Khan vs. Paulie Malignaggi (Saturday 9:45pm from New York live on HBO)
BRETT ROGERS BRETT ROGERS BRETT ROGERS BRETT ROGERS BRETT ROGERS BRETT ROGERS!!!!!!!!!
Look, I’m well aware that he lost to Fedor, but let’s be honest here…he DIDN’T lose my heart. I LOVE “The Grim.”
4. NCAA Lacrosse Tournament: Hofstra @ Maryland (Saturday 12pm from Byrd Stadium live on ESPNU), Johns Hopkins @ Duke (Saturday 12pm from Durham live on ESPN), Loyola @ Cornell (Saturday 2:30pm from Ithica, NY live on ESPNU), Mt. St. Mary’s @ Virginia (Saturday 7:30pm from Charlottesville live on ESPNU); D3 Tournament: Cabrini/Denison winner @ Stevenson (Saturday 1pm Caves Athletic Complex)
I don’t mind that the Terps got Hofstra in Round 1 at all. Folks on Long Island are fairly easy to dislike, so I’ve got that under control. But…Hopkins playing Duke? Is there any way BOTH teams can lose???
(Edit from GMC: Of COURSE I’d prefer the Blue Devils lost, I just have to keep up appearances as a Blue Jays-hating fan of the Terrapins. It’s how things work.)
So with that in mind…you’re going down, Duke!!!
3. Preakness Week Events: Pee Wee Preakness (Tuesday 11am Federal Hill), Preakness Frog Hop (Wednesday 12pm Patterson Park), Preakness Alibi Breakfast (Thursday 9:30am Pimlico), Preakness Crab Derby (Thursday 12pm Lexington Market), Hot Air Balloon Festival (Thursday & Friday 3pm Turf Valley), Preakness Parade (Friday 8:30pm Inner Harbor)
This is what I know…I’ll be enjoying about 3-4,765 of THESE this week…
And while we don’t have a WHOLE lot of things going on better than the Kentucky Derby; I do know this much…
Black-Eyed Susans >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mint Juleps
2. Infieldfest feat. O.A.R., Zac Brown Band, Collective Soul & Mr. Greengenes (Saturday all day Pimlico), Sugarland (Sunday 6:30pm Merriweather Post Pavilion), Corinne Bailey Rae (Friday 7pm Rams Head Live), Puddle of Mudd & Adelita’s Way (Thursday 8pm Power Plant Live), Pearl Jam (Thursday 7pm Jiffy Lube Live), Sister Hazel (Saturday 8pm 9:30 Club)
EVERYTHING to like on this list…
First of all, the Maryland Jockey Club couldn’t have done better than O.A.R. EVER for Saturday…
Plus, Zac Brown Band is pretty good too…
And Mr. Greengenes can even DO O.A.R……
And as far as Sister Hazel is concerned…I mean…come on…
I’ll save you my “I’m picking Sarah Jessica Parker this year” comments. I mean, I AM…but it’s completely irrelevant.
The only real question left for me is whether or not to wear the same attire to Pimlico Saturday that I wore to Churchill Downs. Your call…
Flexing my mic muscles since 1983…