Honorable Mention: Mixed Martial Arts: WEC-Jose Aldo vs. Manny Gamburyan (Thursday 9pm from Broomfield, CO live on VERSUS), Bellator Fighting Championships 31 (Thursday 8pm from Lake Charles, LA live on Fox Sports Net); NBA: Washington Wizards Training Camp Midnight Tip-Off (Tuesday 12am Patriot Center), Washington Wizards Fan Fest (Sunday 11am Patriot Center); High School Football: Glen Burnie @ Broadneck (Friday 6:30pm), Perry Hall @ Kenwood (Friday 7pm); Auto Racing: NASCAR Price Chopper 400 (Sunday 1pm from Kansas City, Kansas live on ESPN), IndyCar Series Cafes do Brasil Indy 300 (Saturday 6pm from Homestead-Miami live on VERSUS); NHL: Boston Bruins @ Washington Capitals (Tuesday 7pm Verizon Center), Columbus Blue Jackets @ Washington Capitals (Friday 7pm Verizon Center), Nashville Predators @ Washington Capitals (Sunday 12:30pm Verizon Center); Capitals Convention 2010 (Saturday 12pm Washington Convention Center)
10. Godsmack (Sunday 6:30pm Merriweather Post Pavilion); Jason DeRulo (Friday 8pm Rams Head Live); Wale (Friday 9pm Sonar); Marc Cohn (Wednesday 6pm & 9pm Rams Head On Stage), Big Bad Voodoo Daddy (Sunday 8pm Rams Head On Stage); Sheryl Crow (Wednesday 8pm Strathmore); Leon Redbone (Friday 7pm Silver Spring Performing Arts Center); Drake (Saturday 8pm Sunday 7pm D.A.R. Constitution Hall); James Otto (Saturday 12pm Laurel Park); They Might Be Giants (Saturday 6pm Millennium Stage); One Night One Show One Cause feat. Derek Trucks & Susan Tedeschi Band (Sunday 7:30pm Bourbon Street); Jimmy Eat World “Invented” available in stores/on iTunes (Tuesday)
A few things I like here. First of all, Jason DeRulo will be dismissed by some as a “Flavor of the Day” type R&B/Pop Star. There’s some truth to that, but he’s a little bit better than that…
Wale and Drake are both amongst the brightest stars in hip-hop right now. Drake has certainly benefited from having Lil’ Wayne as a mentor…(Language NSFW, unless you work for Young Money. If you do, tell Nicki Minaj I said hello!)
I’m going to admit here that while I don’t think it would ever lead me to buy tickets to a Redbone show…there’s NOTHING I like more than “Come Get Your Love”…
Go see Derek Trucks. I repeat. Go see Derek Trucks.
9. “Iron Man 2″ available on DVD/Blu-Ray (Tuesday), “Get Him To The Greek” available on DVD/Blu-Ray (Tuesday), “Family Guy: Partial Terms of Endearment” available on DVD/Blu-Ray (Tuesday); “The Social Network” opens in theaters (Friday)
I like all of these things.
1-I want to be Tony Stark. More than anything in the world…
2-”Get Him to the Greek” was not “Forgetting Sarah Marshall”, but it was pretty frickin’ good. (Language NSFW-ish. And by “ish” I mean, yeah, you probably shouldn’t watch this if language is an issue where you work. I should probably be more direct…)
I fully understand why FOX didn’t let the episode on TV, but “Partial Terms of Endearment” looks pretty funny…
Maybe it has a lot to do with “Power” by Kanye West being in the trailer (and the fact that the flick was filmed at JHU); but I’m REALLY looking forward to seeing the Facebook movie. It looks pretty good…
8. Chick-Fil-A Spicy Nuggets giveaway (Tuesday-Saturday at all area Chick-Fil-A locations including Chick-Fil-A Nottingham Square)
I’ve “broken” a few stories in my day, but I will admit that none have been particularly earth shattering. I mean, Mark Viviano broke the news that the Cleveland Browns were moving to Charm City. Until I do something like that, I know my competition.
But for once in my life, I feel like I finally have a major…MAJOR…news story I can break.
Chick-Fil-A is of course rolling out their new Spicy Nuggets this week, and at first they will be rolling them out with a ranch dipping sauce. BUT-sources have confirmed to WNST.net’s Glenn Clark that they will ALSO be rolling out a blue cheese dipping sauce within weeks to go along with them.
I’ll have more on this developing story as it becomes available. Make sure you stay tuned to Glenn Clark’s blog for ALL of your late-breaking Chick-Fil-A news!
You see, I knew I had a major breaking news story in me…
7. Soccer: MLS-DC United @ Colorado Rapids (Saturday 9pm from Commerce City, Colorado live on MLS Direct Kick); College Soccer: Duke @ Maryland (Friday 8pm from Ludwig Field live on Fox Soccer Channel); EA Sports FIFA 11 available for Playstation 3/XBox360/Wii (Tuesday)
It pleases me that Maryland is playing Duke in both soccer AND football this weekend. You see, I despise the Blue Devils-so this is right up my alley. Do you despise the Blue Devils? If not, you’re a bad person. (I’m looking at you, Chad Lamasa!)
As an aside, I LOVE FIFA. Seriously, my freshman year of college was half wasted playing FIFA with my roommate-the great Matt Saenz. That wasn’t all we did though. We also did more productive things…
6. Horse Racing: Jim McKay Maryland Million Day (Saturday 12:35pm Laurel Park)
It’s hard to get anyone excited about Horse Racing in the Old Line State during football season; but this really IS the 3rd best day of racing all year, and certainly the best day of the year to be at Laurel Park.
Now, if Laurel Park REALLY wants to attract a crowd on Maryland Million Day (and also honor the great Jim McKay in the process), I really think they should consider going with one of the sport’s great voices as track announcer Saturday…
5. Pro Wrestling: WWE “Hell in a Cell” (Sunday 8pm from Dallas live on Pay-Per-View)
Kane is scheduled to face The Undertaker Sunday night in a big Hell in a Cell matchup. Whatever happens, it probably won’t be as memorable for Kane as the whole Triple H/Katie Vick incident. WEIRD…
4. Lingerie Football League: Tampa Breeze @ Baltimore Charm (Friday 9pm 1st Mariner Arena)
Sure, the Baltimore Charm fell 60-6 to the Philadelphia Passion in the first game in franchise history-but-uh-does anyone REALLY care about the results in these games?
I mean, with no offense…
Also, in perusing the interwebs for more information about the LFL team, I found out that former Maxim model Rachel Kagay tried out for the team. So the question is…did she make it? This is very important…
3. Golf: Ryder Cup (Friday 2:30am live on ESPN, Saturday 8am Sunday 7am live on NBC. All golf from Newport, Wales); Champions Tour Ensure Classic at Rock Barn (Friday-Sunday 2pm from Conover, NC live on Golf Channel)
Apparently this is some sort of big deal. I’d tell you more about it but I just don’t know. Apparently there are players in the thing named Francesco Molinari and Edoardo Molinari.
Interestingly enough, I prefer the Edoardo Molinari when I’m at Amicci’s in Little Italy.
If they manage to win the thing, I hope the party looks like it did in 1999. That’s the only way I’d care…
2. College Football: Duke @ Maryland (Saturday 6pm from Byrd Stadium live on ESPN3.com), Navy @ Air Force (Saturday 2:30pm from Colorado Springs live on VERSUS), UMass @ Towson (Saturday 7pm Unitas Stadium), Bethune-Cookman @ Morgan State (Saturday 4pm Hughes Stadium), Muhlenberg @ Johns Hopkins (Saturday 2pm Homewood Field)
I have two simple words for you.
1. NFL: Baltimore Ravens @ Pittsburgh Steelers (Sunday 1pm from Pittsburgh live on CBS)
In fairness, I get MORE excited for Steelers week when Ben Roethlisberger is playing.
I met a Steelers fan at Looney’s in Bel Air over the summer. When I was introduced to her, I said “so is it mom, or do you go ahead with ‘Aunt Mom’”???
Flexing my mic muscles since 1983…