10. Slayer/Anthrax/Megadeth (Wednesday 7pm 1st Mariner Arena), So You Think You Can Dance (Tuesday 7:30pm 1st Mariner Arena); Roger Waters (Sunday 8pm Verizon Center); Hank Williams Jr. (Saturday 7pm Patriot Center), Gorillaz & N.E.R.D. (Monday 7:30pm Patriot Center); Mary J. Blige (Thursday 7pm Jiffy Lube Live); Sister Hazel (Friday 8pm Power Plant Live); Skillet/Papa Roach/Trapt (Tuesday 7pm Rams Head Live), The Roots (Friday 9pm Rams Head Live); Fools & Horses (Saturday 8pm Recher Theatre); LA Guns (Friday 7:30pm Bourbon Street); K’Naan (Sunday 8pm 9:30 Club); Pete Yorn (Wednesday 8pm Black Cat); Bob Saget (Friday 8pm Warner Theatre)
I don’t think it’s quite worth a drive to Fairfax; but I sure as hell wouldn’t mind seeing Hank Jr. play “Family Tradition”…
I’m definitely making it down to PPL Friday Night. Sister Hazel was part of the soundtrack to my adolescence…
The Roots aren’t bringing John Legend with them to Rams Head Live, but I’m sure they’ll still figure out a way to kick some ass anyway…
I met Fools & Horses at Bill Bateman’s in Towson a few weeks ago. Turns out I once introduced them at the HFStival at Merriweather Post Pavilion. I felt bad. They’re good. Go see them…
9. High School Football: Woodlawn @ Perry Hall (Friday 6:30pm), Arundel @ Glen Burnie (Friday 6:30pm)
Friday night is Homecoming at PHHS, which means I’m once again in the awkward position of needing to find a date. “Boomer Sooner” is going to visit a friend in North Carolina this weekend (And before any of you amateur comedians asks-No, I don’t know what his name is); so I’m scrambling for a Homecoming date. This is 11th grade all over again.
The thing is, I think I know who I’m gonna ask…
Daniela Pane, will you be my Homecoming date?
(Edit from GMC: I’M SO NERVOUS!!!!)
8. Mixed Martial Arts: Strikeforce-Nick Diaz vs. KJ Noons II (Saturday 10pm from San Jose live on Showtime)
With no offense to the many talented MMA fighters who are participating in the event Saturday night, every time I see that Strikeforce is putting a card on, there’s only one thing I’m concerned about.
IS GINA CARANO FIGHTING?!?!?!?
The answer is “no” this week. Because the answer is “no”, I’ll admit that I’m not quite as excited…
7. Pro Wrestling: TNA “Bound For Glory” (Sunday 8pm from Daytona Beach, FL live on Pay-Per-View)
Usually I post a picture of some hot wrestling gal here and say something like “Here’s a good reason to get the TNA PPV Sunday night.” Instead, I think Jeff Hardy is a hell of a reason to get the TNA PPV Sunday night…
6. Soccer: Team USA Women vs. China (Wednesday 7pm from Chester, PA live on ESPN2), Team USA vs. Poland (Saturday 8pm from Chicago live on Fox Soccer Channel); MLS-San Jose Earthquakes @ DC United (Saturday 7:30pm from RFK Stadium live on Comcast SportsNet PLUS & MLS Direct Kick); College Soccer: UConn @ Maryland (Tuesday 7:30pm Ludwig Field); Manhattan @ Loyola (Friday 7pm Ridley Athletic Complex), St. Peter’s @ Loyola (Sunday 1pm Ridley Athletic Complex)
This is tough for me. I’m CLEARLY going to pull for the American women during their showdown up in Philly, but I will admit that it is tough for me to root against a country that gave us Orange Chicken…
5. “Secretariat” in theaters (Friday)
Boomer Sooner and I went over to Arundel Mills the other night to check this flick out. It’s good-especially for a Disney movie. Not “Remember The Titans” good, but certainly “We Are Marshall” good.
A couple of things though. One-Is it just me, or does Diane Lane somehow just keep getting hotter as she gets older???
2-I’m very happy that Laurel rider Grant Whitacre got a role in the flick, he did a solid job in limited time on-camera. But the real question is-how did Glenn Clark NOT get a role in the movie??? I COMPLETELY look the part!!!!
3. College Football: Navy @ Wake Forest (Saturday 6:30pm from Winston-Salem live on ESPN3.com), James Madison @ Towson (Saturday 7pm Unitas Stadium), Dickinson @ Johns Hopkins (Friday 7pm Homewood Field)
So if Towson can somehow beat JMU…who beat Virginia Tech…who beat NC State…who beat Cincinnati…who has a chance to beat West Virginia…who beat Maryland…who beat Duke…who beat Butler when Gordon Hayward missed that shot…does that mean that the Tigers would somehow be the transitive NCAA Basketball Champions?!?!?
Would look pretty impressive on Rob Ambrose’s resume…
2. NHL: Washington Capitals @ Atlanta Thrashers (Friday 7:30pm from Atlanta live on Comcast SportsNet), New Jersey Devils @ Washington Capitals (Saturday 7pm from Verizon Center live on Comcast SportsNet), Ottawa Senators @ Washington Capitals (Saturday 7pm from Verizon Center live on Comcast SportsNet)
The NHL is back for real Friday night. Make your plans accordingly. Mine will probably involve a significant amount of Moosehead and a Saturday afternoon of screaming at my TV while the Phoenix Coyotes face the Boston Bruins in Prague on VERSUS. Just don’t bother me during that stretch.
Would any of you weirdo Caps fans be interested in a trip to Arizona to for the game against the Desert Dogs on Valentine’s Day?
Trust me, it would beat your other Valentine’s Day plans…
1. NFL: Denver Broncos @ Baltimore Ravens (Sunday 1pm from M&T Bank Stadium live on CBS)
This is a bit of a tricky situation. I mean, we all know I’ll be FULLY behind the Ravens on Sunday; but if Kyle Orton gets hurt-it could pain me.
I mean, how in the hell do you root against THIS GUY?
I mean, Tim Tebow really does do God’s work. He helped Florida beat Oklahoma in the BCS Championship Game. What more can you ask for in the world???
Flexing my mic muscles since 1983…