Honorable Mention: Women’s College Basketball-Monmouth @ Maryland (Saturday 5pm Comcast Center); Golf: PGA Tour Children’s Miracle Network Classic (Thursday-Sunday 1pm from Lake Buena Vista, FL live on Golf Channel); College Soccer: MAAC Tournament (Friday & Sunday Ridley Athletic Complex), Stony Brook @ UMBC (Wednesday 7pm UMBC Soccer Stadium); NBA: Houston Rockets @ Washington Wizards (Wednesday 7pm from Verizon Center live on Comcast SportsNet), Charlotte Bobcats @ Washington Wizards (Friday 7pm from Verizon Center live on Comcast SportsNet), Washington Wizards @ Chicago Bulls (Saturday 8pm from Chicago live on Comcast SportsNet PLUS & WGN America)
10. Black Crowes (Wednesday 8pm Rams Head Live; Saturday & Sunday 7:30pm 9:30 Club), Music 4 Maryland feat. Pat McGaee Band (Saturday 7pm Rams Head Live), John Butler Trio (Sunday 8pm Rams Head Live); CKY (Saturday 7pm Recher Theatre); Powerman 5000 (Friday 8pm Sonar); Brad Garrett (Thursday 6pm & 9pm Rams Head On Stage); Steven Page (Thursday 6pm 9:30 Club); Rusted Root (Wednesday 8pm State Theatre); Experience Hendrix feat. Jonny Lang, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Steve Vai, Susan Tedeschi, Living Colour (Thursday 8pm Hippodrome); Allman Brothers Band (Friday 8pm D.A.R. Constitution Hall); Shinedown (Wednesday 8pm Warner Theatre), Brian Regan (Friday 7:30pm Warner Theatre); Bob Dylan (Saturday 7pm Smith Center-George Washington University); Straight No Chaser (Saturday 8pm Meyerhoff Symphony Hall); Cee-Lo Green “Lady Killer” available in stores/on iTunes (Tuesday); Kid Cudi “Man on the Moon 2: The Legend of Mr. Rager” available in stores/on iTunes (Tuesday)
Black Crowes drummer Steve Gorman will be on with Drew Forrester Wednesday at 9:05am on “The Morning Reaction” on AM1570 WNST. On Wednesday night, you’ll hear Black Crowes drummer Steve Gorman rocking the hell out of tunes like “Remedy”…
I’m been saying for years that there is NO excuse for anyone to not be into John Butler Trio. They’re the best thing to come from Australia since Nicole Kidman. Strike that. JBT is better.
If you don’t love the Allman Brothers, you might as well get the hell our of this country…
And there is no disc coming out this year that I have looked forward to as much as I’m looking forward to Cee-Lo’s. Holy hell…
9. Maryland Irish Festival (Friday-Sunday Timonium Fairgrounds)
I feel like I’ve celebrated this once already this year. Wasn’t it just called St. Patrick’s Day?!?!?
Hell…if it involves Bangers and Mash, Guinness, and screaming along to a Flogging Molly song, I don’t care when we celebrate. I’m IN.
8. Auto Racing: NASCAR Kobalt Tools 500 (Sunday 3pm from Phoenix live on ESPN)
Do I include Sunday’s NASCAR race because I give a crap about Denny Hamlin, Jimmie Johnson or anything related to the Chase For The Cup? Of course not. I include Sunday’s race because damnit, it’s happening in Arizona; and that’s a mighty fine excuse for me to remind you of other things that happen in the great state of Arizona…
The scenery there is really quite breathtaking…
7. NHL: Washington Capitals @ New York Rangers (Tuesday 7:30pm from New York live on VERSUS), Tampa Bay Lightning @ Washington Capitals (Thursday 7pm from Verizon Center live on NHL Network & Comcast SportsNet), Washington Capitals @ Buffalo Sabres (Saturday 7pm from Buffalo live on Comcast SportsNet), Atlanta Thrashers @ Washington Capitals (Sunday 5pm from Verizon Center live on Comcast SportsNet)
If I was excited about something the Caps were doing, I’d tell you. Since I’m not, we’ll move on to something more interesting.
Yahoo! Sports’ Puck Daddy tells me Sean William Scott is going to be in an upcoming hockey movie entitled “Goon.” That might not be interesting in and of itself, but it reminds me of one of my favorite lines in movie history…
6. Boxing: Manny Pacquiao vs. Antonio Margarito, Kelly Pavlik vs. Brian Vera (Saturday 9pm from Arlington, TX live on HBO Pay-Per-View)
Dance a happy dance, Dallas. This marks the last time your fine city will host a relevant sporting event until the Super Bowl!!!
By no means do I support anything that fans of the Washington Redskins would enjoy, but I will admit that this t-shirt might be good enough to purchase….
Sorry I didn’t write anything about the boxing match. It was supposed to have Floyd Mayweather. If it did, it would be relevant.
5. High School Football-MPSSAA Playoffs: Perry Hall @ Urbana (Friday 7pm)
I know there are plenty more relevant games that are being played this weekend. But as this appears to be the final contest of the season for my Gators, I figured I’d give them a special shoutout.
The bigger issue is that it leaves me with no more opportunities to tell embarrassing stories of myself from high school. So….here’s a picture from my High School Prom. This should make up for a month’s worth of missed embarrassing stories with PHHS’s upcoming elimination…
4. College Basketball: 2K Sports Classic-College of Charleston @ Maryland (Wednesday 7pm from Comcast Center live on ESPNU), Maine @ Maryland (Sunday 2pm from Comcast Center live on Comcast SportsNet); VMI @ UMBC (Sunday 3pm RAC Arena); Drexel @ Loyola (Friday 8pm Reitz Arena)
You know what I like about C-of-C? Their team is called the Cougars. In a semi-related story, here’s a picture of Diane Lane…
3. College Football: Maryland @ Virginia (Saturday 3:30pm from Charlottesville, VA live on ESPN3.com), Central Michigan @ Navy (Saturday 3:30pm from Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium live on CBS College Sports), Maine @ Towson (Saturday 2pm Unitas Stadium); South Carolina State @ Morgan State (Thursday 7:30pm Hughes Stadium); McDaniel @ Johns Hopkins (Saturday 1pm Homewood Field)
God I can’t stand the freaking Cavaliers.
I can’t stand the stupid ties they wear to games.
I can’t stand how they think “Wahoos” is a cool nickname.
I can’t stand how they use “Auld Lang Syne” as their victory song.
But what I can’t stand more than anything else? How the hell is it possible that a place I despise so much produced one of the greatest bands in the history of music?!?!?!
2. Mixed Martial Arts: Shogun Fights III (Saturday 6:30pm 1st Mariner Arena); UFC 122: Nate Marquardt vs. Yushin Okami (Saturday 8pm from Oberhausen, Germany on SpikeTV); WEC: Urijah Faber vs. Takeya Mizugaki (Thursday 9pm from Las Vegas live on VERSUS)
I can’t implore you enough to head down to SF3 Saturday night. John Rallo puts on a hell of an event, and it’s cool enough just to support the notion of having big-time MMA events in Charm City. If you want a future UFC Fight Night or Strikeforce card in town, supporting Shogun Fights would be a hell of a step in the right direction.
And the thing is-if it is cool enough for THIS guy to attend, trust me-it’s much too cool for you…
1. NFL: Baltimore Ravens @ Atlanta Falcons (Thursday 8:20pm from Atlanta live on NFL Network & WBAL11)
And what am I doing while I’m in The A-T-L this weekend? Well, I think a pilgrimage is in order….
I don’t know anything about the Hapeville Dwarf House, but if it’s the location of the original Chick-Fil-A, it will be the most important trip I ever take.
Flexing my mic muscles since 1983…