NCAA SECOND ROUND
#2 Maryland (29-4)
#7 Louisville (23-9)
Mon., March 19 | 7 p.m.
College Park, Md. (Comcast Center)
- The second-seeded Maryland women’s basketball team will tip off against seventh-seeded Louisville Monday at 7 p.m. in the NCAA Tournament Second Round at Comcast Center.
- The Terrapins (29-4) beat 15th-seeded Navy (18-14) 59-44 Saturday in the First Round behind 17 points and 10 rebounds from ACC Player of the Year Alyssa Thomas and 14 points from Laurin Mincy.
- This will be the second meeting between Maryland and Louisville. The Cardinals won the first meeting, 77-60, on March 30, 2009 in the Elite Eight in Raleigh.
- Sophomore Alyssa Thomas became the 27th player in Maryland women’s basketball history to break the 1000-point plateau against Navy Saturday. She is the second-fastest Terrapin to reach the mark. She needed 63 career games and Crystal Langhorne did it in 60.
- This weekend will mark Maryland’s 20th appearance in the NCAA Tournament and eighth in head coach Brenda Frese’s 10 years. Frese has led the Terrapins to three Elite Eights and the 2006 National Championship. Her all-time NCAA Tournament record is 18-7 (.720) and 17-6 at Maryland (.739). The Terrapins have earned a top-two seed five times under Frese.
- Maryland is 29-18 (.614) all-time in NCAA Tournament games and 13-3 (.813) in NCAA Tournament games in College Park.
- Monday’s game can be seen on ESPN2 or online at ESPN3.com.
- Winner of Monday’s game advances to Sunday’s Regional Semifinal in Raleigh, N.C.